Notices

Just got my swap running...not fast enough... budget turbo, or nitrous?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2004, 04:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Just got my swap running...not fast enough... budget turbo, or nitrous?

I don't want this to be a nitrous vs turbo debate, but just which would suite me better. This summer i'll be working full time, and making enough money to do some stuff to my car. After i do GSR brakes and swaybars I'm gonna start making it faster.

Here's what i got

JDM GSR swap (LSD) in a CX hatchback
2.5 exhaust/ short ram intake
12lb flywheel ACT
Exedy Organic street disc
Kyb AGX H&R race springs (integra rated)

also....A/C and full interior.

I'm either going to start piecing together a budget turbo kit....probably a used t3, DSM SMIC, dsm bov, dsm 440's, and an AFC hack. then dyno/wideband tuning. Probly 7-8 psi.

or Zex kit, header, nice CAI, sk2 mani, maybe sk2 stage 1 cams.

the problem is that i want my car to be faster all the time, and i really hate winding it out like crazy to pass people, or to go fast at all. but then again i've never ridden in a B-series with nice cams.

I need to know, from people who have done their own budget kits, how much trouble it was, becuase i had a lot of problems with my swap (mostly with the tranny)

Reliability is also an issue since this is my daily driver...must keep A/C

ps- i would search, but i don't really know what to look for. tia
Old 04-24-2004, 04:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Just got my swap running...not fast enough... budget turbo, or nitrous? (thehatchninja)

i started a so called budget kit and ended up buying everything brand new.

it gets to the point where you say, why the F*CK and i skimping on $300 when I have already spent $2000.

at least that what happend to me.

you have a nice motor, you dont want to blow it up. build a real turbo kit and you can do it for about $2500
Old 04-24-2004, 05:45 PM

Default Re: Just got my swap running...not fast enough... budget turbo, or nitrous? (envision2teg)

Ive done Nos, supercharger, and turbo so heres my .02

Nos is like leasing power, people think it's cheap, its cheap up front, but not in the long run. Example $500 nos kit, acc.. another $200-250, okay problem is those refills get damn expensive. Around here the average cost to fill a 10 lb bottle is about $30. 50 fills x$30 is $1500, on top of your kit. Heres where it gets shitty, say your not happy and you'd like to got turbo now............... Good luck selling your used Nos kit, for $300-$350........

So in the end you'll spend what a Turbo kit may cost, but you'll have nothing to show for it. Also unless you keep your bottle full all the time, you will soon become disapointed that your car isn't always fast. I know I was, having to press a ******* button so my car would actually move

Anyhow I just like to get more for my $$$, Turbo is the only way.

do some research, and there should be plenty of budget guys here to help you along the way
Old 04-24-2004, 08:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Just got my swap running...not fast enough... budget turbo, or nitrous? (quikB18B)

thanks....the problem is that i probably really won't have 2,500 to spend on a turbo kit. I've been doing a little bit of researching. I might got to a Air to water intercooler, seems like an interesting concept, and i could mount it in the engine bay... I dunno, just an idea really. Also thinking of going with Uberdata instead of the hack.

is 1500 feasible? (sp?)
Old 04-24-2004, 10:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Just got my swap running...not fast enough... budget turbo, or nitrous? (thehatchninja)

I had both nitrous and a turbo. I loved the turbo, but it also cost like 2500 up front. Nitrous didn't add anywhere near as much power as 10psi of boost did.