Notices

Just got my k24 block...sleeve it or no?

Old 09-28-2004, 03:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just got my k24 block...sleeve it or no?

Just wondering what you guys thought, because the outer sleeves are pretty beefy already. But the are between the sleeves aren't

pic of the KICK *** full block girdle next to the little GSR/ITR girdle

Old 09-28-2004, 04:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Just got my k24 block...sleeve it or no? (B18Flip)

i would sleeve it go with GE sleeve affordable at 8 somethign and still works good .

do it right the first time and then you wont have to do it again
Old 09-28-2004, 04:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Just got my k24 block...sleeve it or no? (b18bturbo)

do it right the first time and then you wont have to do it again[/QUOTE]

I agree, especially when u have everything apart, do it right the first time.
Old 09-28-2004, 04:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Just got my k24 block...sleeve it or no? (Lucky925l)

Sleeves it is...thanks guys
Old 09-28-2004, 05:11 PM

Sleeve it while you have it all apart.
Old 09-28-2004, 05:38 PM
TurboJesse

Default Re: Just got my k24 block...sleeve it or no? (FOrSfEd)

ive heard rumors that the k series sleeves are like the H series and don't mix too well with forged internals.....im prolly wrong though
Old 09-28-2004, 06:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Just got my k24 block...sleeve it or no? (Mpir3)

i dont know ,but i can see two cracks on those sleeves,im i right?
Old 09-28-2004, 06:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Just got my k24 block...sleeve it or no? (civicguy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by civicguy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i dont know ,but i can see two cracks on those sleeves,im i right?</TD></TR></TABLE>

nope, its just dirty lol

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mpir3 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ive heard rumors that the k series sleeves are like the H series and don't mix too well with forged internals.....im prolly wrong though</TD></TR></TABLE>

i'm not really sure. but i know jeff aka boosted-hybrid is sticking to the stock sleeves for now. He had mentioned an easy 400whp with the stock sleeves, i'm sure they can hold more but i might just have them sleeved the first time around to save me the trouble (most people seem to recomend it )
Old 09-29-2004, 06:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The stock sleeves are very thin. The part you see is larger at the head than the wall thickness is down in the cylinder. I just removed the stock sleeves from 5 K24 blocks we are sleeving. If you plan to boost or over bore it, definitely sleeve it and close the deck. Honda thickened the aluminum side walls to support thrust loads, but this was designed for 250-300 HP from the factory.
Old 09-29-2004, 07:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Just got my k24 block...sleeve it or no? (quickcarl)

We are seeing more and more of these at Bensons for sleeving now. If you are going to boost, you should sleeve it.
Old 09-29-2004, 07:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Sleeve it
Old 09-29-2004, 08:17 AM

Default Re: Just got my k24 block...sleeve it or no? (Turbocivic94)

I agree with Earl. We used to get 2 or 3 a month, but now we have..........17 K-series here right now. ( just checked ) They all came in last week and early this week. Sleeve that thing. I love the K-series motor
Old 09-29-2004, 10:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Just got my k24 block...sleeve it or no? (GoldenEagleMfg.com)

hhmm....should i go w/ benson's or GE? ....i kinda had my heart set on bensons

Modified by B18Flip at 4:34 PM 9/29/2004
Old 09-29-2004, 01:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Let me make the decision for you, go for Benson, he machines part of the block down and stamps his name on it, it looks cool!!! 1000 posts, yeaha!!!
Old 09-29-2004, 01:48 PM

Default Re: Just got my k24 block...sleeve it or no? (leadfoot78)

im in the process of sleeving my k20a2.

and to the guy that said that k-series sleeves dont mix well with forged internals, that is not completly true. there are a couple 500 whp k20a2's with block guards and of course pistons and rods that have been running for some time now. i dont know about the k24 though...
Old 09-29-2004, 02:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Just got my k24 block...sleeve it or no? (HaTcH_BmX_Ep3 kid)

Sleeve it now while it's apart!
Old 09-29-2004, 03:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Sleeving won't make the are between the cylinders any thicker. It is impossible, if it did, that would be re-positionong the piston. I'm sure that it would be stronger with new sleeves, just not thicker.
Old 09-29-2004, 03:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B18Flip &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
pic of the KICK *** full block girdle next to the little GSR/ITR girdle

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Girdle? My *** thats the whole lower block. I love K-series crank support. Glad I have one.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ive heard rumors that the k series sleeves are like the H series and don't mix too well with forged internals.....im prolly wrong though</TD></TR></TABLE>

B.S.
Old 09-29-2004, 06:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by quickcarl &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> The stock sleeves are very thin. The part you see is larger at the head than the wall thickness is down in the cylinder. I just removed the stock sleeves from 5 K24 blocks we are sleeving. If you plan to boost or over bore it, definitely sleeve it and close the deck. Honda thickened the aluminum side walls to support thrust loads, but this was designed for 250-300 HP from the factory.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Bout' time you guys joined H-T!! If you are who I think you are.

To the original poster. You should sleeve it, and you should sleeve it with ERL sleeves
Old 09-30-2004, 02:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Just got my k24 block...sleeve it or no? (93LSivic)

I was just trying to give a serious answer to a question posted. It seams every time you do, a commercial breaks out. A lot of the posts that I've looked at have been pretty funny. One guy is very proud of his sunken sleeves as he's setting on his case of head gaskets. If the HP numbers grow in the most power on stock sleeves thread, John Force is pulling the Nitro Hemi and putting in a stock sleeved B16. It's good to see old fashioned bench racing is going strong. The my glue beats your glue was also pretty funny. If anyone has access to non-moving aluminum, they should contact the National Bureau of Standards immediatly I mainly check in when I have time, but occasionally try to help someone with an answer if I can. This is Honda Tech?
Old 09-30-2004, 06:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by quickcarl &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> The stock sleeves are very thin. The part you see is larger at the head than the wall thickness is down in the cylinder. I just removed the stock sleeves from 5 K24 blocks we are sleeving. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Sounds like the same deal as the B/D-series. The liners are ribbed on the outside, and the block more or less cast around them, yes?

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by quickcarl &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> I was just trying to give a serious answer to a question posted. It seams every time you do, a commercial breaks out. </TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by quickcarl &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If the HP numbers grow in the most power on stock sleeves thread, John Force is pulling the Nitro Hemi and putting in a stock sleeved B16. It's good to see old fashioned bench racing is going strong. </TD></TR></TABLE>

And what we have here is a commercial for aftermarket sleeves.

FWIW, you posit that K-sleeve is set up from the factory for 250-300 hp reliably - well, that's NA. If you ever get the chance to examine the difference between NA cylinder pressures and boosted cylinder pressures, you'll see that while NA ones lack the mean pressure of boosted apps, they spike drastically higher. It's these pressure spikes that blow stock sleeves. It's pressure spikes that happen as you approach detonation.

BTW, I'm not a benchracer.
Old 09-30-2004, 08:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Just got my k24 block...sleeve it or no? (J. Davis)

Yes they are the cast in version similar to B/D series. Yes I agree that a NA motor has more of a pressure spike, then it basically diminishes by 10-15 degrees past TDC. Depending on compression and boost,etc. the boosted motor will build more pressure. If only the spikes blew sleeves, only NA motors would blow them. Its the max pressure exerted against the sleeve at any time regardless how it sees it. The sleeve strength is calculated by the matl. tensile strength (usually 30k psi on std cast iron) x wall thickness in inches.The HP rating is a factory design # to allow longevity, you can certainly pass that if the motor is tuned properly. But don't expect it to last 100k+ miles like the factory motor.The Bench racing is refered to the BS of how the stories grow. All in good fun. Oh and I didn't I even tell you who I was so I can sell sleeves. A tech forum to advance the sport sounds good.
Old 09-30-2004, 10:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by quickcarl &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> The HP rating is a factory design # to allow longevity, you can certainly pass that if the motor is tuned properly. But don't expect it to last 100k+ miles like the factory motor.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Agreed. I'm going to say that higher than average mean pressures (from forced induction) + spiking is what kills 95% (to pull a bench racing figure out of the hat) of the Honda sleeves that let go. The rest of the time... they just swell.

I've seen one NA engine with a split up #3, btw. No spray, suspect detonation.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by quickcarl &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Oh and I didn't I even tell you who I was so I can sell sleeves. A tech forum to advance the sport sounds good.</TD></TR></TABLE>

You have my apology, I was ASSuming you were the average HT poster without stopping to question my premise. Please post more in the future, eh?
Old 09-30-2004, 11:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Just got my k24 block...sleeve it or no? (J. Davis)

That's no problem, I'm just trying to learn more and pass along info to help when I can.