Notices

Just got my hands on a set of valve....install or stay stock?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2006, 10:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just got my hands on a set of valve....install or stay stock?

I just got a set of ferrea exhaust valves and KMS intake valves for my b series. They are basically new.

Should i
A) Install them while i and replacing my valve seals
B) stay stock.

I plan on FI soon, so i dont know about how well stock valves will hold up.
Old 10-03-2006, 10:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you might want to upgrade your valve springs while you are at, its probably the most important part to uprade in that department
Old 10-03-2006, 10:51 AM

Default Re: (rudebwoy)

Yep! replace the valve train...be sad to drop/float those nice valves...when ur stock valve train gives out on ya...
Old 10-03-2006, 10:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (iBrandon)

Yes i got crower springs and retainers, but that was not the question

It was, should i replace the VALVES, or not. And why
Old 10-03-2006, 10:36 PM
BCICAN

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Just got my hands on a set of valve....install or stay stock? (drumminforev)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by drumminforev &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">...and KMS intake valves </TD></TR></TABLE>

KMS valves? Do you know what the KMS stands for?
Old 10-04-2006, 07:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Just got my hands on a set of valve....install or stay stock? (AF-P Dunc)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by AF-P Dunc &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

KMS valves? Do you know what the KMS stands for?</TD></TR></TABLE>

http://www.honda-performance.com/
Old 10-04-2006, 09:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Just got my hands on a set of valve....install or stay stock? (Running925)

nope, and i still dont even after clicking that link.

Still need an answer to my question
Old 10-04-2006, 10:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Just got my hands on a set of valve....install or stay stock? (drumminforev)

whats the point of an aftermarket valve then
Old 10-04-2006, 10:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i would upgrade the valves.
Old 10-04-2006, 10:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well if you have the springs and retainers and were planning on changing them out, AND you have the valves the why the hell not?
Old 10-05-2006, 09:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Just got my hands on a set of valve....install or stay stock? (95dc2teg)

Because i have to take everything apart to take the head off, buy a new headgasket and new head studs to do valves, whereas i can just do springs under the valve cover with cmopressed air
Old 10-05-2006, 12:44 PM

What the hell do you want to hear? We already gave you information when you posted this same thread in the Civic forum. Do you want us to actually make the decision for you?

Okay, I will - sell the valves. For your setup, it's not worth pulling the head and spending money for a new HG, new studs, and a fresh valve job.
Old 10-05-2006, 12:54 PM
GarageAlchemist

Default Re: Just got my hands on a set of valve....install or stay stock? (Shepherd)

i'd def do valves, yea its a pain in the ***, but while its out you can get a valve job, new valve seals, full valve train, that will net you a lot more hp, and the reinsurance of a quality valvetrain you can count on.

go for it
Old 10-05-2006, 02:41 PM

Default Re: Just got my hands on a set of valve....install or stay stock? (GarageAlchemist)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by GarageAlchemist &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i'd def do valves, yea its a pain in the ***, but while its out you can get a valve job, new valve seals, full valve train, that will net you a lot more hp, and the reinsurance of a quality valvetrain you can count on.
go for it </TD></TR></TABLE>

What stupid advice. He already has springs/retainers which is all he needs reliability wise. I'm sure he has a valvetrain "he can count on." Stock valves work perfectly fine, which is why 95% of the FI guys have stock valves. Plus the money spent on a valve job could be better spent on the turbo kit.
Old 10-05-2006, 03:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Just got my hands on a set of valve....install or stay stock? (Shepherd)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Shepherd &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

What stupid advice. He already has springs/retainers which is all he needs reliability wise. I'm sure he has a valvetrain "he can count on." Stock valves work perfectly fine, which is why 95% of the FI guys have stock valves. Plus the money spent on a valve job could be better spent on the turbo kit.</TD></TR></TABLE>

yup, after market valves are used for a variety of reasons, of which, unless you are going for every ounce of power, you will not need. They can be used to relieve weight off the stock valves (lighter valves) or higher heat resistant valves like nitride or stainless steel. If you do not want to waste the money now on a headgasket etc... then don't do it, if you don't care and you have the valves then go ahead. The valvesprings are more important then the valves at this point of your build. hope that helps.
Old 10-05-2006, 04:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Just got my hands on a set of valve....install or stay stock? (drintegra)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by drintegra &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

yup, after market valves are used for a variety of reasons, of which, unless you are going for every ounce of power, you will not need. They can be used to relieve weight off the stock valves (lighter valves) or higher heat resistant valves like nitride or stainless steel. If you do not want to waste the money now on a headgasket etc... then don't do it, if you don't care and you have the valves then go ahead. The valvesprings are more important then the valves at this point of your build. hope that helps. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Alright. Im gonna sell them. Doesn't sound worth the time/money. I would rather tune with the money for a valve job.