Notices

Just Got My Fmax Kit... Instructions are the LAMEST!! A couple of questions...

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2001, 02:14 PM
New User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Just Got My Fmax Kit... Instructions are the LAMEST!! A couple of questions...

HELP!! Anyone here install one of these? Parts quality is excellent but the manual is terrible. Black and White inkjet printer quality.

I have a couple of questions...

1. I have a Hondata with Boost. Will I need the MSD Boost Timing Master if I have the Hondata?

2. What connects to the output of the HKS bypass valve? Is it open to the air?

3. There are 2 filters included in the kit. A large one which obviously goes to the air inlet to the turbo and a 2nd smaller one. Where does that attach?

I am sure there will be more questions for later.

thanks

Torin

[Modified by GruvyTune, 11:15 PM 10/10/2001]
Old 10-10-2001, 02:22 PM
New User

Default Re: Just Got My Fmax Kit... Instructions are the LAMEST!! A couple of questions... (GruvyTune)

I got an answer to my first question from Doug at Hondata. No you don't need the MSD with the Hondata since the hondata reads boost and takes care of the timing. Now only if i could figure out where the rest of the stuff hooks into. Good thing I know enough about turbos to know the basic connections.

Old 10-10-2001, 02:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Just Got My Fmax Kit... Instructions are the LAMEST!! A couple of questions... (GruvyTune)

I would get rid of the MSD...more trouble for what its worth...I think your Hondata should be fine....but as added protection, I would think about getting a J&S in the future...no rush ..its a nice to have...

BOV should be open air.....(anyone disagree??)

The smaller one (filter) is a breather and replaces the tube that goes from the valve cover to the intake pipe...you would put that on the outlet of the vavle cover

Torin...just keep in touch with us...you're the first to get your F_MAX so you will probably be the first to finish...we may have questions for you as well.....make sure you do an inventory of everything before you begin!!

[Modified by MiraiZ, 8:24 AM 10/11/2001]
Old 10-10-2001, 02:24 PM

1. No

2. The bov needs a vaccuum source from the intake manifold

3. It may be a valve cover breather

[Modified by Inlinefour, 5:25 PM 10/10/2001]
Old 10-10-2001, 02:39 PM
New User

Default Re: Just Got My Fmax Kit... Instructions are the LAMEST!! A couple of questions... (Inlinefour)

The small one looks too big to be a valve cover breather and there is a place to plug in the valve cover tube into the intake tube just past the intake air filter.

I will be putting an ACT clutch in (well not me, i'm too chicken to do that myself) tomorrow if the kit comes in so the fmax will hopefully go in over the weekend. I will have many more questions.

There is also tubing to bypass the throttle body coolant tubing but I don't think i will do that since it gets very cold here in the winter and i assume that will mess with my cold idle (true??).

Old 10-10-2001, 02:42 PM
New User

Why would the BOV be open air? Wouldn't blowby vapors then come out of there too and make a mess? Thats why i assumed the smaller filter may go on that?

I may get the Greddy catch can as well as added protection against oil mess and detonation. There is a good deal on it out there.
http://www.turboimports.com/gredoilcatca.html
Old 10-10-2001, 02:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

can you get a picture of it?
Old 10-10-2001, 02:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the air that comes out of the intake track should be clean ambient air (from the outside) so venting it is not going to be an issue...maybe we are talking about different things? It sounds as if you're talking about the wastegate? Venting that under the hood can get messy...you should use the dump tube that comes with the kit, or fabricate some tube to vent it under the car...

[Modified by MiraiZ, 8:57 AM 10/11/2001]
Old 10-10-2001, 02:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Just Got My Fmax Kit... Instructions are the LAMEST!! A couple of questions... (MiraiZ)

The smaller filter goes over the opening of the BOV. It takes a bit of shoving to get it onto the BOV. It is not a breather filter.

The BOV is a push-pull type. There are two vacuum ports on it. One of them is to be hooked up to a vacuum source and one to a boost source. I don't remember which is which, right now.

Here's an old picture of when I was installing. The filter is not on the BOV in this picture, but you can see where it goes. It looks like the top port is vacuum, which would make the bottom port boost.
Old 10-10-2001, 03:02 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: Just Got My Fmax Kit... Instructions are the LAMEST!! A couple of questions... (MiraiZ)

can you get a picture of it?
YEAH! Get a picture of all of the parts, so the rest of us know what to expect. We all will be where you are in just a few weeks.
Old 10-10-2001, 03:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Just Got My Fmax Kit... Instructions are the LAMEST!! A couple of questions... (00SilverLS)

This is what to expect. The Integra install wont be much different.
http://www.hondaprelude.to/articles/inst_turbo.html
Old 10-10-2001, 03:46 PM
New User

Default Re: Just Got My Fmax Kit... Instructions are the LAMEST!! A couple of questions... (DirtyLude)

I don't have access to a good digital camera right now. My neighbor has one but its not the best. I can try though!!

I'm more than happy to help out however I can as I go through this.

Old 10-10-2001, 04:05 PM
New User

So, the kit comes with a 9psi spring. Is this the Tial wastegate spring or is the spring and boost setting controlled in the HKS bypass valve?

Old 10-10-2001, 04:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So, the kit comes with a 9psi spring. Is this the Tial wastegate spring or is the spring and boost setting controlled in the HKS bypass valve?

Tial...the wastgate is the one that controls the boost pressure
At this point, I would not play around with the spring, it should already be preset...adjust it later (if needed) when you are fully installed

...the HKS BOV releases pressure into the air when the throttle plate closes to prevent the air from pushing back on the compressor (and causing damage). That is really its only function; doesn"t control boost pressure directly.

Old 10-10-2001, 04:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If they haven't shipped your kit yet, you should call them and ask for the .4bar spring rather than the standard .6bar spring. You can then raise the boost pressure with a boost controller to whatever you want.
Old 10-10-2001, 04:31 PM
New User

Default Re: Just Got My Fmax Kit... Instructions are the LAMEST!! A couple of questions... (DirtyLude)

question: does fmax come w/ the silicon hoses or do ya have to buy em? what size 4mm, 6mm?

Old 10-10-2001, 04:32 PM
New User

yea, I'm trying to get Scott to send me a 6psi spring. How do you install it in the Tial? do you unbolt the top of the wastegate and install it inside there?

I have a blitz sbc-id so I want to go from 6psi up to perhaps 10 when i get my hondata all dynotuned.

So the boost controller goes to the wastegate then? Is there any connection to the BOV or does that go to manifold vacuum only? Where is the best place to get boost to connect to the boost controller?

thanks
Old 10-10-2001, 06:03 PM
New User

Default Re: Just Got My Fmax Kit... Instructions are the LAMEST!! A couple of questions... (vudoo666)

It comes with some 4mm vacuum hose.
It would be best to buy some assorted hoses. I have a set of hose techniques silicone hoses

Old 10-10-2001, 06:08 PM
New User

Well, i guess I have an MSD Boost Timing Master to sell if anyone is interested. I will sell it at a bit less than a new one retail.

Fmax also neglected to send me the correct tap for my oil return line. They sent me an 1/8" tap which I don't even need since my oil feed line goes into the oil sending unit near my oil filter I presume. They did send me a 3 way T so I can mount an oil pressure gauge sending unit as well.

Do you think that tap is a standard size i may be able to pick up at a hardware shop? My tap and die set does not have that size (i think its 3AN?)

Old 10-10-2001, 06:17 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

just curious:

the hose clamps, are they normal, or T clamps?

Old 10-10-2001, 06:22 PM
New User

Default Re: Just Got My Fmax Kit... Instructions are the LAMEST!! A couple of questions... (00SilverLS)

normal worm screw type.

Damn, that prelude install webpage shows the oil return setup as a 2 piece. I just have the one barbed screw bolt.

It doesn't even mention the oil return or the send in the instructions!! How lame!!

I'm getting a bit pissed at these instructions. You would think for this much money you would get some really good install tips.

I should stop complaining I guess till I've tackled the install. I wish at least Fmax's phone would be answered by someone more often to help with questions.

Old 10-10-2001, 07:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Torin

I'll try to point to you to some good install sites when I get home...you may want to also take a look at Dustin's site...here's got som egood pics...Its a Drag install but it should be similar enough to figure out. I know of a couple of prelude sites too. You might want to hold off until one of us gets ours so that we can compare notes, but it will take some time. I think the first person from the buy-in to receive theirs will be at the end of the month
Old 10-11-2001, 02:48 AM
New User

I can't hold off. there's already frost on the ground in the morning here and I do my work outside!!
Old 10-11-2001, 02:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

eek! alright...good luck man...just keep posting your progress and we'll talk you through it...don't rush...take your time...also, you should try to get a good digicam and take pics, so we can see what you are doing...if you can..
Old 10-11-2001, 03:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Here's some sites you can visit to get an idea of what needs to be done.

This guy turbo'd his Miata (a pictorial)...I wouldn't do everything he does because he makes a lot of mistakes (especially with the oil line) but its good refence as to what to do and not to do:
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumList?u=117212&f=0
(scroll all the way down to turbo install)

hers some really good pics of Dustin's Drag installation:

http://rely.net/~dustin/images/turbo_install/

Heres some Fmax pics on a Prelude (so you get an idea of where everything goes): http://www.turboprelude.net/Fmaxpics.html

[Modified by MiraiZ, 9:17 PM 10/11/2001]

Quick Reply: Just Got My Fmax Kit... Instructions are the LAMEST!! A couple of questions...