Notices

Just found out what my turbo is...

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2009, 01:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just found out what my turbo is...

T25 off of a GTR's RB26. No joke. Seeing as this is my first boost build, I feel proud to put this turbine on my car. But while I love knowing the fact that I have such a legendary turbine, it will be uber difficult to find parts that work for it. I need flanges, which I found at ATP in hayward for 39 dollars a peice. and Now I need oil lines and a manifold that will fit also. Anybody runnin this turbo on their cars? What are its characteristics? Where did you find parts? How much power are you getting at what pressure? And any pictures of this turbo on your cars would be great also! Thanks.
Old 08-28-2009, 02:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Just found out what my turbo is...

Originally Posted by Romo Pyro
T25 off of a GTR's RB26. No joke. Seeing as this is my first boost build, I feel proud to put this turbine on my car. But while I love knowing the fact that I have such a legendary turbine, it will be uber difficult to find parts that work for it. I need flanges, which I found at ATP in hayward for 39 dollars a peice. and Now I need oil lines and a manifold that will fit also. Anybody runnin this turbo on their cars? What are its characteristics? Where did you find parts? How much power are you getting at what pressure? And any pictures of this turbo on your cars would be great also! Thanks.
How much boost are you trying to run? THE GTR turbo's have ceramic wheels in them so when boosted high they tend to come apart and take the motor with them. Heard alot of horror stories and then it happened to a local's R33 GTR. So be careful with that thing.
Old 08-28-2009, 02:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 2LiterTurboSeR
How much boost are you trying to run? THE GTR turbo's have ceramic wheels in them so when boosted high they tend to come apart and take the motor with them. Heard alot of horror stories and then it happened to a local's R33 GTR. So be careful with that thing.
How can a ceramic turbine wheel take out a motor? explain?
Old 08-28-2009, 02:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 2LiterTurboSeR
Damn, exactly the last thing I was tryn to hear, Someone told me about this earlier tonight too. But Im not going for a crazy build, It was 150 bucks so i bought it unknowingly. Im just trying for small boost ona stock gsr + Cams so.. 8-9 psi-ish? That sounds pretty reasonable doesnt it?
Old 08-28-2009, 06:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Is this a Straight t25 or a GT2560?
Old 08-28-2009, 09:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 91jdmhatchback
they cant. lol they'll just rattle around in your exhaust and you wont make any/much boost. Unless it unbalances it to a point where the compressor wheel comes apart too...but youd still have an intercooler to keep the big pieces from going into the motor

OP, here's some good info on JDM turbos: http://f2.autospeed.com/cms/A_2245/article.html

Nissan/Garrett RB26DETT (T28 style)

The Skyline GT-R engine uses a pair of T28 turbochargers to achieve its 206kW claimed output.

Just one of these turbochargers can be employed on engines making about 120kW, so long as the ceramic turbine isn’t pushed beyond its limits. A single R32 GT-R turbo is ideal for, say, a 1.5 litre four cylinder with a few breathing mods.

The GT-R compressor inlet is 53mm diameter but, again, we were unable to measure the discharge nozzle diameter. The compressor is marked with a 0.48 A/R ratio. On the opposite side, the GT-R turbo uses a 38 x 50mm turbine passage and a 63 x 93mm mounting flange. The turbine housing is also marked with a 0.54 A/R. The mounting flange and dump pipe are 4-bolters.

Note that this turbocharger uses the same turbine mounting flange as the S14/S15 200SX, Pulsar GTi-R and various other Nissan turbos. This makes conversions easy.
Old 08-28-2009, 10:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah i was making fun of that guy.
Old 08-28-2009, 01:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow. Anyway, the t25 flanged turbo can use a hks manifold. Gerrett put that flange on turbos from the gt20 to the gt 30 http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbob...ochargers.html and the abilities of these turbos are vastly different. My turbo, a gt2871r has the t25 turbine on it. I use the hks manifold and a downpipe I made from the same atp flange you have already referred to. I was not able to find any downpipe / charge pipe kit, I had to make it all myself. The bottom line is, if the turbo is capable of what you expect, or in other words meets your goals, then great, however you will have a lot of work ahead of you. They do make a t3 style turbine you can find at atp as well, and there are plenty of kit for that style of turbine, only bad thing is, it will cost more than you already paid. Don’t be seduced by “gtr turbo” “evo turbo” or any of that crap, a turbo is a turbo and plenty of great turbos never made it onto production cars and plenty of production car turbos have been replaced by a better turbo. Good luck.
Old 08-28-2009, 01:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I never go over 14 psi with the ceramic turbos. Or they will fall apart eventually.

Combined they made around 340 on a GTR on 13.5 psi.
Old 08-28-2009, 05:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Put it on ebay and put GTR in the title. Then take that money and get a turbo that will be fun on your B18.
Old 08-28-2009, 05:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

awesome shop! veeeeeetec, powera shift.......
i've seen your shops work and it really is awesome, i don't get the 14psi comment though.
Old 08-28-2009, 10:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by abnaasefmb
i don't get the 14psi comment though.
The ceramic turbine wheel isnt strong enough to hold together when spun above 14psi, after which it generally self-destructs
Old 08-29-2009, 12:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

That 14psi limit would only apply to GTR's. On different sized motors it will be different. What really matters would be the combination of shaft speed and EGT's. If a GTR owner could tell you typical EGT numbers, you could find that out and apply it to your engine's charactersitics. Regardless ceramic turbines don't like high temps or high speeds. If that snaps, you may not injest a huge chuck of turbine or compressor wheel, but you'll still get some metal shavings as the compressor grinds to a halt from 130,000 rpm.

In all honesty, the turbo is too small for most Hondas. My turbo's compressor wheel inlet (inducer) is nearly the size of that turbo's compressor cover's inlet. My turbo isn't exactly big, either.
Old 08-29-2009, 12:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Wouldnt the RB25DET turbo work decently on hondas though? That motor doesnt run twins like the RB26, where each turbo is working with 1.3L each. I mean if it's not too small for a 2.5L 6-cylinder then you'd think it would flow well enough for a 4 cyl... though compression ratios are of course going to vary and that will play a factor as well...
Old 08-29-2009, 09:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by HiProfile
That 14psi limit would only apply to GTR's. On different sized motors it will be different. What really matters would be the combination of shaft speed and EGT's. If a GTR owner could tell you typical EGT numbers, you could find that out and apply it to your engine's charactersitics. Regardless ceramic turbines don't like high temps or high speeds. If that snaps, you may not injest a huge chuck of turbine or compressor wheel, but you'll still get some metal shavings as the compressor grinds to a halt from 130,000 rpm.

In all honesty, the turbo is too small for most Hondas. My turbo's compressor wheel inlet (inducer) is nearly the size of that turbo's compressor cover's inlet. My turbo isn't exactly big, either.
Ok, the wheel is ceramic, got it, sorry I don’t really follow the nuances of all the different turbos.

Ot
What up Hi-p, I finally took your advice and got the manifold you sold me coated, I must say it looks much better.
Old 08-31-2009, 10:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by abnaasefmb
Wow. Anyway, the t25 flanged turbo can use a hks manifold. Gerrett put that flange on turbos from the gt20 to the gt 30 http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbob...ochargers.html and the abilities of these turbos are vastly different. My turbo, a gt2871r has the t25 turbine on it. I use the hks manifold and a downpipe I made from the same atp flange you have already referred to. I was not able to find any downpipe / charge pipe kit, I had to make it all myself. The bottom line is, if the turbo is capable of what you expect, or in other words meets your goals, then great, however you will have a lot of work ahead of you. They do make a t3 style turbine you can find at atp as well, and there are plenty of kit for that style of turbine, only bad thing is, it will cost more than you already paid. Don’t be seduced by “gtr turbo” “evo turbo” or any of that crap, a turbo is a turbo and plenty of great turbos never made it onto production cars and plenty of production car turbos have been replaced by a better turbo. Good luck.

Thanks for all the info, I honestly didnt know what I was buying really untill I typed in some serial codes into google. It was an ad on craigslist, and this guy had been running it in his car for a little bit and said it had no problems. I understand that this is probably not the most ideally sized turbine for my displacement, but my goal as of now is not so much crazy horsepower, but to successfully turbocharge my car. I have been reading everybody's comments here, and have considered picking up something more befitting my power goals, once like I said, I have already finished my first goal. I also understand that I do not know a lot about turbo's and turbocharging, So I do appreciate the help and the consideration everybody is giving to helping me with my project.
Old 08-31-2009, 10:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by viper_boy403
they cant. lol they'll just rattle around in your exhaust and you wont make any/much boost. Unless it unbalances it to a point where the compressor wheel comes apart too...but youd still have an intercooler to keep the big pieces from going into the motor

OP, here's some good info on JDM turbos: http://f2.autospeed.com/cms/A_2245/article.html
That link was a ton of help with the info I needed to start piecing together my project. Thank you very much. My question is though, does anybody know if there were two different variations of the gtr's turbo's? Because I read a lot about the t28's as stated in the article, but the A/R sizes are different than that of the one I have... My compressor housing has a .42 A/R and my turbine has a .48 A/R. Trim unknown. My camera is broken but I found a picture of what it looks like using google images:

if that helps at all. After reading the various articles and comments here, I am not so sure I really know what I have. But its SMALL.
Old 08-31-2009, 10:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by LightningTeg
Is this a Straight t25 or a GT2560?
Pretty sure its just straight t25, definitely not any gt series.
Old 09-01-2009, 05:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default where can I buy a manifold like that Hip?

question for thread starter, where can I purchase a manifold like that from? I 've always liked manifolds like this for their simplicity of installation. Also what hp figures can this type support?
Old 09-01-2009, 10:04 AM
Man U FTW

yeah i was making fun of that guy.

Lol...no plans to help, just to insult. Keep up the good work Matt
Old 09-01-2009, 10:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Romo Pyro
sorry but i had to, u seem like one of those guys at the meet saying" yeah my car is turbo and it comes from a gtr and i own all" lol
Old 09-01-2009, 10:14 AM
Man U FTW

^^I got that feeling too. The "no joke" portion was the kicker for me.
Old 09-01-2009, 12:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: where can I buy a manifold like that Hip?

Originally Posted by shanebadoo
question for thread starter, where can I purchase a manifold like that from? I 've always liked manifolds like this for their simplicity of installation. Also what hp figures can this type support?
Actually, I am wondering myself as well, Im hoping for over 240-250 wheel on 10psi gsr block with blox type b cams and boltons. idk how realistic this is though because I cant seem to find anybody using this turbine. As for a manifold, Im probably looking to have one custom made at atp.
Old 09-01-2009, 12:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by drift2004
sorry but i had to, u seem like one of those guys at the meet saying" yeah my car is turbo and it comes from a gtr and i own all" lol
Hahaha god I know, I reread my posting and wanted to change it. But no, I know what it is, I know what it is not. It is a small oem nissan turbo manufactured by garrett, comparable if not smaller than a 14b dsm turbo. Except the fact that it is worse because of its ceramic wheel, which cannot spin to 24 psi as the 14b can, and will be harder to work with because of the awkward housings it uses. if I was smarter and less of a jew (no offense to anyone) I would not have cared so much about a cheap turbo, but more about a well designed turbo to fit my goals reliably. But I have decided that since im already picking up parts here and there to get this together, I might as well stick to it. and when I am ready to buy a larger turbine, i'll boost the crap outta this one and blow it! lol. no im just kidding. I'll probably end up selling it on ebay as suggested a few posts up. Which is not a bad idea might i add, can you imagine: NISSAN SKYLINE GTR TURBO!!!! 5000$$$ Hahaha it'll be great.
Old 09-01-2009, 01:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

lol well yeah if u have it use it but if u have to get a custom manifold made u got to look at cost benefits. how much power u want and what not, but if u have it use it and boost it !!!

Quick Reply: Just found out what my turbo is...