Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just Cranks and won't start no spark

fixed

Modified by Quad-Damage at 9:37 PM 3/8/2006
Old 12-18-2005, 02:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

those blaster coils suck ***** for longevity and reliability. Try the HVC or something...
Old 12-18-2005, 03:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (paul vang)

will the HVC plug stright up with my MSD SCI
Old 01-01-2006, 02:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Quad-Damage)

i replaced the msd blaster 2 with a new one and a new oem honda ingintor and it is still doing the same thing? dam it
Old 01-01-2006, 02:46 AM

Try putting a working stock distubutor. If it works you can narrow down the problem. seems like alot of work but shouldn't take more than 10 min
Old 01-01-2006, 10:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Are you getting fuel when you get no spark? If no fuel, it's not an ignition issue... dist sensor or main relay issue, but not the output side of things.
Old 01-01-2006, 11:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (J. Davis)

yes i am, my fuel pump is hella loud walbro 255hp and i hear it when i prime the car, i also smell the gas so i know its getting that
Old 01-01-2006, 11:32 AM
New User

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Quad-Damage &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yes i am, my fuel pump is hella loud walbro 255hp and i hear it when i prime the car, i also smell the gas so i know its getting that</TD></TR></TABLE>

Are you getting fuel pressure at the rail THOUGH?

Do you have an MSD ignition box on the car too? If so then bypass that then check back. Run the wires from inside the distributor to the Blaster coil now
Old 01-01-2006, 11:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Pump is one thing, actual injector pulse is another. Sounds like you have injector pulse if you smell fuel. I diagnose you as having wierd misc ignition fuckage.

Disconnect the MSD from the system to test, since coil and ignitor have been replaced. It directly handles ignition signal from ECU --&gt; ignitor --&gt; MSD --&gt; coil, and something along that path is broken. If the MSD unit is bad, feel free to not replace it, they are worthless anyway.

FYI, ECU monitors the dist sensors (primarily TDC to determine base ignition/injector timing event) and outputs IGO signal on the white (or yel/blu wire depending on OBD) to the ignitor. Ignitor fires coil, synthesizes tach output on the blu wire.

It is possible to directly manipulate ignition system by applying power/gnd to the wht or yel/blu ignitor wire. ground tells the ignitor to charge the coil, 12v power to stop charging. Hooking up a switch and cycling power --&gt; ground --&gt; power will cause the coil to fire (if everything is good) but can kill the ignitor.

Old 01-01-2006, 11:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Boostfed.com)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Boostfed.com &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Are you getting fuel pressure at the rail THOUGH?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Hrm, good Q.
Old 01-01-2006, 11:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

did your ecu get wet? can you see any corrosion?
Old 01-01-2006, 11:37 AM
New User

Default Re: (J. Davis)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by J. Davis &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Pump is one thing, actual injector pulse is another. Sounds like you have injector pulse if you smell fuel. I diagnose you as having wierd misc ignition fuckage.

Disconnect the MSD from the system to test, since coil and ignitor have been replaced. It directly handles ignition signal from ECU --&gt; ignitor --&gt; MSD --&gt; coil, and something along that path is broken. If the MSD unit is bad, feel free to not replace it, they are worthless anyway.

FYI, ECU monitors the dist sensors (primarily TDC to determine base ignition/injector timing event) and outputs IGO signal on the white (or yel/blu wire depending on OBD) to the ignitor. Ignitor fires coil, synthesizes tach output on the blu wire.

It is possible to directly manipulate ignition system by applying power/gnd to the wht or yel/blu ignitor wire. ground tells the ignitor to charge the coil, 12v power to stop charging. Hooking up a switch and cycling power --&gt; ground --&gt; power will cause the coil to fire (if everything is good) but can kill the ignitor.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Haha you and I are on the same page here. Read my thread that I edited WHILE you were postin this also J
Old 01-01-2006, 11:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (nos51)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nos51 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">did your ecu get wet? can you see any corrosion?</TD></TR></TABLE>

my ecu is dry as a bone, it' a p28 with a crome base map that runs great, when it starts

and i just opened my fuel rail a bit, it was leaking fuel, so i know im getting fuel.

think my SCI unit could be bad, it'ss mounted inside my heater core to keep it hidden and dry, i kinda want to run the MSD it was working flawlessly before, for like 4 months
Old 01-01-2006, 11:38 AM
New User

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Quad-Damage &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

think my SCI unit could be bad, it's mounted inside my heater core to keep it hidden and dry</TD></TR></TABLE>

Bypass it and check back, read mine and JDavis' posts, that is what we are inclined to think right now

Old 01-01-2006, 11:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

will do, **** me off, im set to dyno at 17 psi tommarow as well, and my car won't start
ill update, becuase i need to get this running today
Old 01-01-2006, 11:47 AM
New User

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Quad-Damage &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">will do, **** me off, im set to dyno at 17 psi tommarow as well, and my car won't start
ill update, becuase i need to get this running today</TD></TR></TABLE>

Easiest way to do it SINCE I have done it several times is cut the red and white wires going into the Dizzy put Quick Connects on them and then cut the black and orange coming off the coil now and do the same, Red to orange Positives together and Black and White negatives together, keep in mind this is from teh Distributor to coil not the box to box wires DOH

And don't worry about dynoing at 17psi, I know Tony1 has had lots of probs with MSD ignitions and he has disconnected them and had no misfires issues on pretty high horsepower set ups

Modified by Boostfed.com at 4:12 PM 1/1/2006
Old 01-01-2006, 11:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

going outside to do that now thanks man this won't blow up my ingitor like the one guy said tho right?
Old 01-01-2006, 12:13 PM
New User

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Quad-Damage &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">going outside to do that now thanks man this won't blow up my ingitor like the one guy said tho right?</TD></TR></TABLE>

No you can run a Blaster SS coil with your car without an MSD or other ignition box

MSD Instructions BTW:

http://www.msdignition.com/pdf...1.pdf

Also somewhere in troubleshooting I THINK they explain how to bypass the ignition box also
Old 01-01-2006, 12:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Just Cranks and won't start no spark (Quad-Damage)

pull the wire off the coil have someone crank see if their is any spark at all coming off that wire if their isnt you need a crank sensor the crank sensor cuts off sprk completly and wont allow the car to run
Old 01-01-2006, 03:22 PM
New User

It's been a few hours! I think he got it fixed and is out street racing now!
Old 01-01-2006, 03:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

**** it's raining here, i had to go out and get quick connectors i didn't want to do it ghetto. ya same ****, just runing off the coil
Old 01-01-2006, 03:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Just Cranks and won't start no spark (meric0786)

we did that
i have no spark from my plugs and no spark for the coil

"
pull the wire off the coil have someone crank see if their is any spark at all coming off that wire if their isnt you need a crank sensor the crank sensor cuts off sprk completly and wont allow the car to run "
Old 01-01-2006, 03:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Boostfed.com &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Easiest way to do it SINCE I have done it several times is cut the red and white wires going into the Dizzy put Quick Connects on them and then cut the black and orange coming off the coil now and do the same, Red to orange Positives together and Black and White negatives together, keep in mind this is from teh Distributor to coil not the box to box wires DOH

Modified by Boostfed.com at 4:12 PM 1/1/2006</TD></TR></TABLE>

did this and same thing
Old 01-01-2006, 03:53 PM
New User

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Quad-Damage &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

did this and same thing</TD></TR></TABLE>

Maybe you have a bad ignitor then How did you have teh MSD hooked up? This happened to me once I bypassed the MSD and all and still same thing, what it ended up being is the Black/Yellow wire on teh harness was tapped into for the MSD and it came disconnected. Make sure to check all yoru connections for the MSD and IF possible change out your Ignitor. Good luck
Old 01-01-2006, 09:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Just Cranks and won't start no spark (Quad-Damage)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Quad-Damage &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">"
pull the wire off the coil have someone crank see if their is any spark at all coming off that wire if their isnt you need a crank sensor the crank sensor cuts off sprk completly and wont allow the car to run "</TD></TR></TABLE>

Huh?

Crank sensor means expletive all when it comes to making the car idle. You, bottom line, need TDC sensor and nothing else to sit there and chug in limp mode.

Quick Reply: Just Cranks and won't start no spark