Notices

Just came for from dyno. b16 built low numbers. AEM boost controller .?

Old 03-30-2007, 10:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just came for from dyno. b16 built low numbers. AEM boost controller .?

hey guys...
Just came from Dyno.. a good reputacion dyno. with sad news...

my b16 block cant reach the 3XX numbers, even that before i reached 310whp on 81 bore at 14psi. now i reach 250whp at 14psi with 83 bore.

same setup:
- t3.60 turbonetics.
- 750 cc
- hondata s200
-cp 9.1
-GE sleeves
- 3" pipping.
-gsr cams, walbro, 3 bar map, etc....

i swaped trannys...from b16 tranny to LS cable tranny

another thing different is the AEM tru boost controller...
we finally found out how it works...not to complicated...but

when i reached around 5.5 - 5.8 RPM starts to die..." choke" or what not...

i jumped on the cabin at the time and saw that the gauge reached 14psi and then goes down...cant hold the 14 all the way...

what it could be? AEM BC, BOV leaking and not holding...

i checked the piping. checked the exhaust, checked the hoses to the boost controller, wastegate... but could not find out what...its the same setup i reached 310whp before...the timing is on clock, the cams gapped..i just like the turbo choked.(like a t25 on a b18 lol)...as a hint, im looking at the graph and i see no vtec engament point, ( the small jump/valley) but would that cause the boost go down?

im so tired right now i cant think.. ....TIA

Modified by xyzalvarez at 11:10 PM 3/30/2007

Modified by xyzalvarez at 11:20 PM 3/30/2007

Modified by xyzalvarez at 11:29 PM 3/30/2007
Old 03-30-2007, 10:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Just came for from dyno. b16 built low numbers. AEM boost controller .? (xyzalvarez)

Old 03-30-2007, 10:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Just came for from dyno. b16 built low numbers. AEM boost controller .? (xyzalvarez)

So it's the same map that you ran beofre, or did you start over with a new one? If it is a new one make sure that the VTEC was not disabled. Your chart is in MPH, you can see boost starting to come up at about 75-77MPH then fall down again. How did the car act off just the gate? Did it create the correct amount of boost and hold or did it fall off as well? Your timing was all set at 16 degrees base? No crushed flex on the down pipe? No funky charging/voltage/ground issues causing fuel pressure to drop off under boost for any reason?

"Choke" what exactly do you mean by that? Lean, lag? With that turbo you should already be at full boost for 14 psi at that RPM point.

Jason
Old 03-31-2007, 07:59 AM

what head is on the car?
Old 03-31-2007, 08:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (94whtgsr)

its a different map...all over again
before it was crome, and now s200, off the gate
the car feels better, before it was kind of pig rich..
10 a/f at iddle...16 degrees, he check that right too,
costume 3" DP and all the way out with flex, no crused pipe
..about the ground i cant tell, the BC didnt blinck or acts weird

by choke, looks like it can keep up the pace...the turbo
its enough for the engine . and have no issues before, but now its
dies...probably no the turbo but it feels like.

and im using a b16 head, crower valvetrain and rev flat valves
with gsr cams.
Old 03-31-2007, 08:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (xyzalvarez)

Take off the exhaust and look inside the DP to make sure something funny didn't happen to the inside of the flex. I've seen the inside of one somehow collapse/shrink to a very small inside diameter.

Also, did you add or change an air filter? I had the very same thing happen to me and it turned out to be a POS foam element air filter that caused the restriction. I picked up ~40whp once I swapped it out.
Old 03-31-2007, 12:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (JFK78)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JFK78 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Also, did you add or change an air filter? I had the very same thing happen to me and it turned out to be a POS foam element air filter that caused the restriction. I picked up ~40whp once I swapped it out. </TD></TR></TABLE>

40 whp just for the filter? dang! thats a lot....i yes i swapped filters..i had on my 81mm bore setup an SS filter, the hollow one..

then when i builted back again at 83mm bore i used the foam filter...

could the filter cause the downfall on the boost at high rpm's?

what my tuner told me was..theres like 30-35whp more power at the same RPM with the 83mm vs 81...but then it falls on its face around 5k - 6k rpms..

Old 03-31-2007, 03:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by xyzalvarez &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">costume 3" DP and all the way out with flex, </TD></TR></TABLE>

Pull the exhaust and check the flex. I've seen them collapse inside and cause a lost in power like yours. Also check your turbo.
Old 03-31-2007, 06:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (FUCATYPR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by FUCATYPR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Pull the exhaust and check the flex. I've seen them collapse inside and cause a lost in power like yours. Also check your turbo.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

ok ill check the flex.tonite..and how i check the turbo? what i want to look for?
i
Old 03-31-2007, 10:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes a bad air filter will cause a flow restriction just like a restrictor plate used in various forms of motorsports to keep the cars at the same power levels. The setup in my sig was limited to ~220whp by the foam air filter. Replacing it with a K&N solved all problems.

Just take it off and do a pull- you will know immediately by the power and your boost logs if it was the problem.
Old 04-01-2007, 08:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (JFK78)

ok..i just removed the filter...make a pull yesterday and my butt dyno tells me yeah it help something...but again i really felt that at high rpm's it just falls...

even my wife was with me and she told me " why you step out of the gas??"

i check the flex pipe and its ok... what else should i do? i mean i want to check everything possible before hitting dyno ...
Old 04-01-2007, 01:47 PM

i would double check the boost controller. like someone else said see if it runs okay with just the wastegate spring and no boost controller.
Old 04-01-2007, 04:18 PM

Default Re: (BlueSi2k)

I'll bet you anything that your VTEC is not working. That graph looks just like my b16 when vtec was disengaged.
Old 04-01-2007, 05:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ek99)

mmmm thats sounds right.... it sounded louder before...

today i check the BC settings and connections and they are ok...
the flex pipe ok, piping ok...now how i can check the vtec kicking in?

im using a p28 ecu , i dont remember wich one is the ecu pin #....

i want to be sure this time, im hitting the dyno three times already...its sucking my juice out...
Old 04-01-2007, 05:40 PM

I had the same troubles with my setup and it turned out the seals on my turbo were bad. Had the turbo rebuilt and it fixed it.
Old 04-01-2007, 05:49 PM

Can you hear it when it kicks in? I have type r cams and when they kick in, it gets pretty loud. One thing you can do is disconnect the vtec solenoid plug and hook up a test light and go for a drive and see if it turns on. I had my car tuned on crome and i made one last run with vtec off just to see what it does off vtec and the tuner forgot to activate vtec. Something similar could of happened to you.
Old 04-01-2007, 05:54 PM

Default Re: dEtSoOb

If his seals were bad his car would be smoking and its doing no such thing.
Old 04-01-2007, 08:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ek99 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Can you hear it when it kicks in? I have type r cams and when they kick in, it gets pretty loud. One thing you can do is disconnect the vtec solenoid plug and hook up a test light and go for a drive and see if it turns on. I had my car tuned on crome and i made one last run with vtec off just to see what it does off vtec and the tuner forgot to activate vtec. Something similar could of happened to you.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Its not to loud as before, now its "mellow" wont scare me like the first time..lol

how i can make a test light? i have the selenoid ( one wire) and the oil press (two wires)....where to where...?

probably this is why im hitting low...

one thing i can tell is that when i reached 14psi at 5-7k rpms...
hit the 14 psi and then goes down...like if the turbo shut down....
Old 04-01-2007, 11:22 PM

You can buy a test light from any auto parts store, electronics store or even make one. Just disconnect the solenoid plug(1 wire) and the wire coming from the harness, connect it to the test light and ground the test light anywhere. Leave the plug coming off the solenoid alone. Test it while your driving. What i did was open the glove box and ground it to one of the bolts i found there. If the test light wire is not long enough to reach inside the car just extend it. Basically, when your driving and you reach the rpm where vtec is suppose to engage, the light should light up. If not, then vtec is disengaged.
Old 04-02-2007, 03:20 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ek99 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You can buy a test light from any auto parts store, electronics store or even make one. Just disconnect the solenoid plug(1 wire) and the wire coming from the harness, connect it to the test light and ground the test light anywhere. Leave the plug coming off the solenoid alone. Test it while your driving. What i did was open the glove box and ground it to one of the bolts i found there. If the test light wire is not long enough to reach inside the car just extend it. Basically, when your driving and you reach the rpm where vtec is suppose to engage, the light should light up. If not, then vtec is disengaged. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I think hes on to something. VTEC also wouldnt work if you had low oil pressure I'm assuming you checked that though?
Old 04-02-2007, 05:33 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by xyzalvarez &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Its not to loud as before, now its "mellow" wont scare me like the first time..lol

how i can make a test light? i have the selenoid ( one wire) and the oil press (two wires)....where to where...?

probably this is why im hitting low...

one thing i can tell is that when i reached 14psi at 5-7k rpms...
hit the 14 psi and then goes down...like if the turbo shut down....</TD></TR></TABLE>

what does the boost go down to?
Old 04-02-2007, 06:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (BlueSi2k)

From the dyno sheet it looks like your VTEC isn't engaging like someone else had mentioned. The powerband and peak power with that turbo
Old 04-02-2007, 06:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

remember with a proper tune its not easy to see where vtec comes in always. Also a large drop in torque in high rpms will be seen if your boost is dropping off as rpm's increase.
Old 04-02-2007, 06:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (SOHC_MShue)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SOHC_MShue &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">remember with a proper tune its not easy to see where vtec comes in always. Also a large drop in torque in high rpms will be seen if your boost is dropping off as rpm's increase.</TD></TR></TABLE>

True but I would think he would have mentioned if he boost was dropping off more than a pound or two. He says it goes down but how much (OP)?
Old 04-02-2007, 07:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (xsi-t)

yea i'm wondering how much too

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Just came for from dyno. b16 built low numbers. AEM boost controller .?