Notices

Just bought a partial Greddy turbo kit...building entire parts list...

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2009, 08:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Just bought a partial Greddy turbo kit...building entire parts list...

So, I just picked up some parts in an effort to build a complete kit.

It will be going into my 2000 Civic DX hatch, with the stock OBD2B D16Y7 and a JDM D15B transmission bolted on.

I have these parts from the OBD1 Greddy kit:
  • TD04-15G turbo with compressor housing, etc
  • cast manifold with heat shield
  • downpipe
  • oil line
Help me make a list of other parts I will need, assuming I will be running 6-8 psi on a stock motor. I.e. Will I need new injectors? Will I need a new fuel pump? Should I run an intercooler? Should I convert to OBD1 or get an e-manage and fabricate another O2 sensor fitting?

This will be a street car that is daily driven. It will never (ever) see a track or strip.

Thanks
Old 07-12-2009, 10:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Just bought a partial Greddy turbo kit...building entire parts list...

charge pipe and intercooler, somthing to control the fuel for a start.

i have the greddy 31v intercooler, charge pipe, some dsm 450's with risistor box and a compleat s200b system for sale. too bad it's at home in the garage and i'm in afghan.

neukin can get you set up with some charge pipe, an intercooler and other parts you will need.

i'm a big fan of hondata, but there are cheeper options out there. do a search on "chrome" or just check here: https://honda-tech.com/forums/forced-induction-16/%2A%2A%2Aforced-induction-forum-faq%2A%2A%2A-1024174/ most of your questions have alredy been covered. the faq put them all in one convienent place.
Old 07-14-2009, 01:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Just bought a partial Greddy turbo kit...building entire parts list...

Thanks, I appreciate the response...but I already checked the FAQ thread.

The FAQ is too generic. It tells you how to install DSM injectors, and how to install a walbro fuel pump....but my questions are more related to, do I need injectors and a fuel pump?

Bump for more feedback.

Thanks guys.
Old 07-15-2009, 06:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Bah....anyone?

I can't even find consistent information about the flow rate of 2000 D16Y7 injectors. Some say 180 cc/min, others say 240 cc/min. I'm on a tight budget and don't want to buy new injectors and pump if I don't absolutely need to...If I'm running 6-8 psi on this tiny little 15G turbo, do I need to upgrade my fuel delivery, or not?

Any help is very much appreciated.

Thanks guys
Old 07-15-2009, 06:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i'm pretty sure they're not 240cc. either way i would still upgrade injectors and pump.
Old 07-15-2009, 06:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can get DSM injectors for ~50 bucks, and a walbro 255 is going to run 100 bucks shipped usually or if you get a xenocron 255 fuel pump ~60 bucks, I have one and it works great!

Stock injectors will not hold long, however the stock pump I ran for 6 months ~9 psi.

Will you have the money to tune it? If you don't I suggest not even installing the turbo kit until you do have the money to tune it or risk blowing the motor.
Old 07-15-2009, 07:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dephtone
You can get DSM injectors for ~50 bucks, and a walbro 255 is going to run 100 bucks shipped usually or if you get a xenocron 255 fuel pump ~60 bucks, I have one and it works great!

Stock injectors will not hold long, however the stock pump I ran for 6 months ~9 psi.

Will you have the money to tune it? If you don't I suggest not even installing the turbo kit until you do have the money to tune it or risk blowing the motor.
agreed..

you can pick up dsm 450's for cheap.... it's better to have them on there than to blow up the motor...

$50 > new block....

You MIGHT be able to get away with stock injectors, but likely the duty cycle is going to be too high, and you can start melting stuff... so...

get the injectors, and do the xenocron pump.. your stock pump would probably be fine, but having the upgraded pump will not hurt you.

an obd2 - 1 jumper harness will help you out, as obd1 has more tuning options (check out Ectune>> cheap and a lot of options)

and yes.. run an intercooler.. you can get away without it, however, for the prices you can pick them up for (+/- 100 or even cheaper if you go with an oem sidemount) you should run one... It will give you more power, and keep your IAT's lower..
Old 07-15-2009, 07:50 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

In other words andoxviii, yes, you need both, if others are directing you to install them. but be prepared to tune it.
Old 07-15-2009, 02:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks guys, these opinions will go a long way in my ultimate decisions to finish this kit...

I am completely aware of how vital a proper tune is. So now I want to gather opinions on tuning. So obviously, I have two options here:
1. Keep it OBD2 and get a Greddy E-Manage and get it tuned. This will require some fab-work for my second oxygen sensor, correct, since my D16Y7 has that stupid catalytic converter on the exhaust manifold?
2. Convert to OBD1, which will require an OBD2B-to-OBD1 converter harness, and a chipped/modified OBD1 ecu. I will also need an intake manifold with all the sensors from a 5-speed D16Y8, correct? Since the OBD1 ecu will not accept a 3-wire IACV?

All opinions welcome and greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys