Notices

just boosted... good for a week, now i get white smoke.... please help..

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2003, 11:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default just boosted... good for a week, now i get white smoke.... please help..

hey guys,

i had my turbo on for about 2 weeks, and all of the sudden this morning, white smoke started to come out my exhaust and my breather off the head.. so i'm guessing i blew some rings right?? ...
well if i did.. now what should i do to rebuild to get a high hp motor?? what would you guys reccomend.. new pistons, and so on???
please help..

i have a b16a2 boosted with a precision sc34 turbo , doing hack .. with 440's all set to 37%- ... was running really good until this morning..
Old 06-14-2003, 01:16 PM

Default Re: just boosted... good for a week, now i get white smoke.... please help.. (queez)

that would be colant you either craked a cylnder wall or the head gasket. check the head gasket and than get it tuned becuase your runing to lean or rich. Bur it would be blue smoke i belive if it was rings becuase it would be oil buring.
Old 06-14-2003, 01:50 PM

Default Re: just boosted... good for a week, now i get white smoke.... please help.. (queez)

Did you retard your timing while running the hack?
Old 06-14-2003, 02:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: just boosted... good for a week, now i get white smoke.... please help.. (red_sir)

i did retard it a few degree's .. i really havent boosted much.. so if i cracked a cylnder wall.. then what would have to be done to get it fixed?
Old 06-14-2003, 03:21 PM

new block
Old 06-14-2003, 04:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: just boosted... good for a week, now i get white smoke.... please help.. (Turbo E)

but it is white smoke coming out, so then it most likely is my headgasket?? if so what would make it blow.. too much boost. or running to lean or rich???
is this type of problem normal?? do you think i really messed up my block??
Old 06-14-2003, 06:03 PM

is it white smoke only when boosting????
Old 06-14-2003, 07:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: just boosted... good for a week, now i get white smoke.... please help.. (TurboDX)

its white smoke even at idle.. it happened for the first time today.. i boosted in the morning, and then like 5 min's later it started to smoke alot.. i parked it and havent driven it.. i havent tried boosting or anything. since its smoking..
Old 06-14-2003, 08:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

not new block, just a resleeve of the cylinders. open it up and post some pics.
Old 06-14-2003, 08:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by queez &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> i had my turbo on for about 2 weeks, and all of the sudden this morning, white smoke started to come out my exhaust and my breather off the head.. so i'm guessing i blew some rings right?? ... </TD></TR></TABLE>

Its a good chance. Smoke out of the breather normally means you blew something..most likely the rings lands of the pistons. Totally sucks. Ive blown a few rings before, and everytime it smoked really bad out of the breather.

This is what they normally come out looking like...

Sorry!

liam
Old 06-14-2003, 08:21 PM

Default Re: just boosted... good for a week, now i get white smoke.... please help.. (tonesdef)

i doubt its the bottom end as it if is, this would equate to engine failure, but this does not appear to be the case if you car is still drivable.
if it is, running too lean will be the most likely cause as temperatures in the combustion chambers can get extremely high. pull the block apart and examine the condition of the pistons. you better hope that if u did blow a piston, that it didnt leave any impressions on the cylinder walls. if so, you will have to get it resleeved and possibly bored out depending on the damage. while ur at it, check the block for any damage or cracks.
white smoke can be the cause of many things, but i doubt u've done any major mechanical damage.
Old 06-14-2003, 08:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: just boosted... good for a week, now i get white smoke.... please help.. (one more chance)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by one more chance &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i doubt its the bottom end as it if is, this would equate to engine failure, but this does not appear to be the case if you car is still drivable.
if it is, running too lean will be the most likely cause as temperatures in the combustion chambers can get extremely high. pull the block apart and examine the condition of the pistons. you better hope that if u did blow a piston, that it didnt leave any impressions on the cylinder walls. if so, you will have to get it resleeved and possibly bored out depending on the damage. while ur at it, check the block for any damage or cracks.
white smoke can be the cause of many things, but i doubt u've done any major mechanical damage.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I disagree. My car was very drivable with the damaged pistons (see picture above). It just smoked alot. Did a compression test, was around 80psi in the bad cyls. It still ran pretty good though. White smoke out the breathers is almost always bad. If you dont drive, and fix the problem the cyl walls should be ok. I jsut replaced the bad piston with a new one and a new ring and the engine was fine afterwards (no hone no resleeve, no bore). It really depends on the damage though.

Good luck!

liam
Old 06-14-2003, 08:33 PM

Default Re: just boosted... good for a week, now i get white smoke.... please help.. (liam821)

yeh true, but it all depends on how much uve damaged the internals. doesnt sound too bad at all
Old 06-14-2003, 08:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: just boosted... good for a week, now i get white smoke.... please help.. (one more chance)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by one more chance &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yeh true, but it all depends on how much uve damaged the internals. doesnt sound too bad at all</TD></TR></TABLE>

yea totally. The three times ive busted rings, they all did the same thing the person above discribed and the pistoned looked like the one i posted above.

liam
Old 06-15-2003, 01:39 AM

Default Re: just boosted... good for a week, now i get white smoke.... please help.. (Turbo E)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Turbo E &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">new block</TD></TR></TABLE>

or resleeve it
Old 06-15-2003, 04:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Turbo E &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">new block</TD></TR></TABLE>

anyway, my car was drivable when I had a leaky headgasket, warped head, cracked sleeve and cracked ringlands. It would over heat a lot, but drivable

If it was your ringlands or piston related, you would be seeing blue smoke. since white smoke is appearing, im guessing its the headgasket. Leakdown the biatch.
Old 06-15-2003, 05:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: just boosted... good for a week, now i get white smoke.... please help.. (liam821)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by liam821 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Its a good chance. Smoke out of the breather normally means you blew something..most likely the rings lands of the pistons. Totally sucks. Ive blown a few rings before, and everytime it smoked really bad out of the breather.

This is what they normally come out looking like...

Sorry!

liam</TD></TR></TABLE>

mine actually looked worse than that...I had a whole section of rings cracked off. They found it in the oil pan

White smoke?...take a wiff and see what it smells like...if it smells really foul like something is burning, then its your rings...if it smells sweet, then it may be your HG...also take notice at how fast the smoke disapates
Old 06-15-2003, 08:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: just boosted... good for a week, now i get white smoke.... please help.. (MiraiZ)

I'm going with cracked ringlands on this one. Usually caused by too much timing, exactly what happens with the hack...
Old 06-15-2003, 01:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: just boosted... good for a week, now i get white smoke.... please help.. (tony1)

after it started to smoke, i drove it for about 5 mins and parked it, its still parked.. its only white smoke so i'm guessing its the headgascket.. so retarting the engine about 3 more degrees. shouldnt reallyd do much,, the most i really bossted was about 5.5 bar. right before it started to smoke.. only boosted once that day..
Old 06-15-2003, 01:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

also.. so if i take the head off, will i be able to see if there's more damage?? and if its just the head gasket, what other parts should i change out, ie.. valves, springs , retainers, cams?? and what compankies are recommended??
Old 06-15-2003, 01:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by queez &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">after it started to smoke, i drove it for about 5 mins and parked it, its still parked.. its only white smoke so i'm guessing its the headgascket.. so retarting the engine about 3 more degrees. shouldnt reallyd do much,, the most i really bossted was about 5.5 bar. right before it started to smoke.. only boosted once that day.. </TD></TR></TABLE>

5.5 bar? 80.85 lbs. of boost!! That's definitely what did it!!!
Old 06-15-2003, 03:59 PM

Default Re: just boosted... good for a week, now i get white smoke.... please help.. (tony1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tony1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

5.5 bar? 80.85 lbs. of boost!! That's definitely what did it!!! </TD></TR></TABLE>

I hope he meant 5 an half psi ! lol
Old 06-15-2003, 04:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It's your rings and/or ringlands. Denial won't make it run better ... trust me.
Old 06-15-2003, 06:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

It's your rings. JG make's boosted rings. There just alittle bit better then stock..
Old 06-15-2003, 07:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ChadB)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ChadB &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">It's your rings. JG make's boosted rings. There just alittle bit better then stock..</TD></TR></TABLE>

Don't buy a damn thing from JG.

Quick Reply: just boosted... good for a week, now i get white smoke.... please help..