Notices

JRSC + NOS, need some questions answered

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2002, 01:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JRSC + NOS, need some questions answered

Here's my setup: 8 PSI JRSC'd 2000 Civic EX SOHC, 3" Injen intake with ColdAirExtension, DC Sports 4-2-1 1 piece SS header, Carsound 2.5" Cat, DC Sports Cat-Back, V-AFC, JAZ CatchCan, GSS-342, J&S UltraSafeguard V.2, JR Map Controller,

I've got a dry nitrous kit I'd like to add to this and have some specific questions.

Where does the vacuum hoses go to raise the fuel pressure in relation to the blower manifold and the stock FPR and/or the blower manifold and the Cartech FMU?

Any changes need to be made to idle fuel pressure or adjustment screws on the cartech? Currently my idle fuel pressure is 38 PSI.

Currently right now it's jetted for a 50 shot. How big of a shot is a .20 jet?

I'd like to put the jet at the very bottom of the cold air intake, so that the jet will be by the wheel well and closer to the filter than the TB. The reason for this is secrecy. What sort of problems would I run into with this setup, i.e. why is it not recommended?

The NOS bottle valve supposedly expires 01/03. Does this mean I need to get a new one, or do I just get this one recertified somehow? Where would I get it certified? If I got a new one, how would they (the people filling the bottle) know what the expiration date is, does it come with a new sticker or something?

Old 11-10-2002, 05:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: JRSC + NOS, need some questions answered (exciv2000)

Don't run a dry shot of N2O through your JRSC, you'll warp the rotors. Hot rotors + N2O = bad things...
Old 11-10-2002, 08:29 PM

Default Re: JRSC + NOS, need some questions answered (mskibbz)

You're wrong, many people do it with wet and dry kits. Next?!
Old 11-11-2002, 12:00 AM

A dry kit isnt going to add fuel properly, your injectors are almost maxed out already anyway. The right way is to split a T from the fuel and regulate it to a specific pressure for a wet kit. If your not squeezing too much, just adjust yiour regulator for more fuel and forget the frest altogether. Did that on my friends car. The GSR ecu was a muuch better improvement for the trouble. It rasied the rev limiter, removed the speed govenor and has more aggressive fuel and ignition maps. You should get one of those.
Old 11-11-2002, 12:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You're wrong, many people do it with wet and dry kits. Next?!
That doesn't make it right Direct port is the way to go with a JRSC
Old 11-11-2002, 08:09 AM

Direct port for a 20-40 shot is way overkill, plus it defeats the point of using N2O for the intercooling effect that so many JRSC uses are looking.
Old 11-11-2002, 10:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Direct port will still have a cooling effect... If you want to warp your rotors, make your engine digest the epoxy coating that gets blown off when the rotors change shape, and eat the aluminum chunks from the warped rotor eating the walls... then go ahead..
Old 11-12-2002, 04:47 AM

Direct port won't have nearly as much cooling effect. Sorry to say but warping your rotors is a myth... MANY people have had over 50,000 miles put on a JRSC with N2O sprayed through the rotors hundreds and hundreds of runs down the track (and possibly the street). When they ship the blower back to Eaton before selling, Eaton says that they are in great like new shape, and needed only a change of castor bean oil. Now do you think warped rotors would be in "great, like new shape?" NO. Eaton even confirms that there should IS NO problem running nitrous through the blower

How about instead of arguing with someone who happens to know more about eaton blowers than yourself but knows very little about the actual connections of NOS products, you could answer my very specific questions, or leave it to someone else who can

[Modified by exciv2000, 1:49 PM 11/12/2002]
Old 11-12-2002, 07:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Direct port won't have nearly as much cooling effect. Sorry to say but warping your rotors is a myth... MANY people have had over 50,000 miles put on a JRSC with N2O sprayed through the rotors hundreds and hundreds of runs down the track (and possibly the street). When they ship the blower back to Eaton before selling, Eaton says that they are in great like new shape, and needed only a change of castor bean oil. Now do you think warped rotors would be in "great, like new shape?" NO. Eaton even confirms that there should IS NO problem running nitrous through the blower

How about instead of arguing with someone who happens to know more about eaton blowers than yourself but knows very little about the actual connections of NOS products, you could answer my very specific questions, or leave it to someone else who can

[Modified by exciv2000, 1:49 PM 11/12/2002]
Hahaha don't get your panties in a bunch... Of course direct port would have less of a cooling effect The point is to add it after the blower because it WILL damage the rotor over time. I really doubt Eaton claims that N2O has no ill effects on the rotors. Here is a link showing the "ineffectiveness" of using a direct port shot of N2O with a JRSC, granted the JRSC was treated for higher PSI I'm sure

http://www.importreview.com/dyno/sup...TypeR17psi.jpg

It's a matter of physics, its not specific to an Eaton blower

Old 11-12-2002, 07:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Another thing to consider... If running a dry shot is such a safe way of cooling the intake air when using a JRSC, then why is there such a demand for a real intercooler for the Honda/Acura JRSCs? People dislike using dry shots and the water misting system for a reason
Old 11-12-2002, 07:56 AM

I really doubt Eaton claims that N2O has no ill effects on the rotors.
Call them and ask them then. Also check out Force Inducted Integras on hostboard. You'll see just what I'm talking about.

Ever seen a funny car with a blower? You think they don't use nitrous? Most spray it right through the blower. Try and explain the physics of that (regardless of whether or not they have an epoxy coating on them). FYI, it's not the blower that gets rebuilt after every race.

And the link you posted, so? I never said using direct port with JRSC was ineffective period. I stated that it dillutes the intercooling effects many seek. That person is also seeing 18 PSI and an 80 shot of N2O. Obviously a built motor, reworked blower, and would probably be more effective (i.e higher HP) through the intake with a 60 shot, and no less stable than a DP.
Old 11-12-2002, 09:31 AM

Think about why they want a real intercooler.. No seriously, really think about it! Give up? I'll tell you why. Water misters have a possibility of breaking, leaking large amounts of water into the cylinders = hydrolock. That's why people don't like those. With either dry or wet kits, direct port or plate kits, you have to flip a switch to turn it on, you have to be at full throttle, you have to worry about your air/fuel ratio and detonatnion much more, you have to worry about what gear you're in, and what RPMs your at, and you have to worry about filling up the bottle every 10-20 times you spray (depending on shot size).

So why do they want intercoolers? Because they are set it and forget it mods... bolt it up and it automatically cools the air. That's a no brainer.
Old 11-12-2002, 10:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Running a small shot of nitrous on a jrsc is best done through the intake tube. With the jet placed close to the filter, so the cooling effect can begin with the air itself, as opposed to happening in the cumbustion chamber.

It's been successfully done many times before, on daily driven street cars.

The reason there's a demand for a true jrsc intercooler is because nitrous is a band-aid fix. To truly take advantage of higher psi, you need to properly cool the air, and the only way to do so (reliably) is to use a chiller.
Old 11-12-2002, 10:46 AM
Future Texas Boy

Default Re: JRSC + NOS, need some questions answered (kinesistech)

Calvert!
Old 11-12-2002, 01:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: JRSC + NOS, need some questions answered (vtecvoodoo)

I used to run a single fogger wet setup on my del sol (D16Z6) and my crx (B18C1). I would defenitely not run dry as I destroyed a stocker like that. for a small shot (less than 60 hp), single fogger wet is the way to go, you could easily convert your dry kit too, for a large shot, i would recommend direct port or the NOSzles. Check out my website for info on my cars... http://www.hometown.aol.com/sxebrian/xxxracing.html Brian

[Modified by XXXRacing, 10:51 PM 11/12/2002]