Notices

Jrsc Gsr won't start. Need some help guys.

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2006, 09:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jrsc Gsr won't start. Need some help guys.

Well I just finished putting a jrsc on my jdm gsr motor in 98 coupe.

It won't start. I loosened the nut on the banjo fitting and gas sprayed out so I assume its getting fuel.

I screwed with the distributor before I attempted to start it. I slightly retarded it(counterclockwise) just to be on the safe side when it started because it was 18 before.

When it turns over it almost sounds like it has a weak battery.

rr rr rr pause..... rr rr rr pause Thats how it sounds when it turns over. I've tried the distrubutor at a few different settings and it just won't start.

I haven't checked for spark but I don't see why it wouldn't have any. The rotor and cap had some corrosion on it so I cleaned that off. Still won't start.

I did put a wideband o2 in it that seems to work. I also put a high pressure fuel pump in it.

Its getting air, fuel, spark(i'm pretty sure) what else could it be.

Also I went to check for engine codes but when I put in the paper clip the check engine doesn't blink at all. It just stays solid. Does that mean I have no cels?

Also above the ecu and to the right of the glove box is a black box(relay) and it is making a very loud clicking noise that doesn't quit. That started doing that after I rerouted the harness that goes to the relay. All I did was move the harness a little. I didn't yank on it or anything.

I am wondering maybe that relay has do with starting the car???
Also when the wire harness is connected to the relay you can see the check engine light kind of pulsing to the sound of the clicks.

Well thats about all I can think of for now.

Maybe the timing is just way off since I messed with it. Maybe someone could tell me where a good starting point for the dist. would be like the top bolt that that lets the distributor slide. Should I put the distributor in the very middle or should I put it more closer to the firewall or closer to the front of the car. I hope that makes since....

Damn cars driving me nuts and after all the work i've done. Please please help me get my baby running.

Thanks in advance,

98civic94gsr
Old 04-06-2006, 11:33 AM

Default Re: Jrsc Gsr won't start. Need some help guys. (98civic94gsr)

Anybody got any idea?
Old 04-06-2006, 11:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

what computer is in it? You are getting fuel, but are your injectors firing? Are you using the jackson racing fuel management system? Double check everything, including sensors and what not are all hooked up properly. Did you do the proper technique to change your timing, if all your doing is moving your distributor without the other steps, thats not your problem. What all did you do when putting on the super, whats changed from before.
Old 04-06-2006, 12:02 PM

Default Re: Jrsc Gsr won't start. Need some help guys. (coneheadsracing)

p72

I don't know if my injectors are firing. How can I tell?

Yes I am using the jr fuel man. system.

I checked and rechecked sensors.

My timing was set at 18 before the install of jrsc.

I know that is way to advanced so I thought I would just loosen the 3 bolts on the dist. and slightly rotate it towards the firewall.

I take it that is the wrong way to adjust timing. I know I have to jump the service connector but I thought it wouldn't matter to much to rotate the dist. with the motor off.

I took the old manifold off and put the jrsc on. I do have an outlaw engineering gasket which would make the injector spray pattern slightly different.

Also I do have a relay to the right of the glovebox and above the ecu that is clicking uncontrollably after I routed the wiring harness to it. I popped a clip out holding it to the car and routed around my ecu. I changed the way my ecu sat against the wall of the car, because of obd21 to obd1 harness.

well thanks I'll keep checking things,
98civic94gsr

oh yeah I'm also from michigan Mr. Conhead.

I live near traverse city.
Old 04-06-2006, 03:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thats interesting. I've worked on my buddies jackson, but i didn't do anything with the wiring, so i can't really help you there, other then you should work on getting that relay to stop clicking uncontrolably. I think that is a def. issue. I don't think the distributor is your problem, i've messed with my distriutor, and went both ways without using the service connector, and i felt no change. Hence why i said that to ya. I don't know, i'm still thinking wiring, can you explain better what you did with that relay?

When you get it up and running you should make your way down to 131 dragway, long ways from traverse city though
Old 04-06-2006, 05:06 PM

If you're moving the distributer towards the firewall you're advancing the timing. Get a timing light and check it the right way, you should set it around 16 BTDC. Also if your car sounds like it's turning over slow put a charge on the battery, because you might not have enough juice for it to fire.