Notices

JRSC b18b: Tranny gearing questions.......

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2006, 10:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JRSC b18b: Tranny gearing questions.......

Hey...has any one put a GSR, SI, or ITR tranny on their B18b JRSC setup? If so I was wondering what kind of difference you noticed with the new tranny over the long LS tranny. I am looking at an USDM ITR tranny because of the gearing and the LSD. I am making much more torque than I did before the JRSC and I now have some wheelspin issues ( Too much torque in a Honda HAHAHA!). Any input is appreciated but mainly looking for someone that has run their JRSCed car with the LS trans then went with one with lower gears.
Old 04-08-2006, 01:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Dont take this as a bashing but it doesnt matter if your an all motor car or a fi car, shorter gears equals faster acceleration.

I had a si tranny on my b18a and it was alot more fun to drive. I was able to beat more of the vtec motors with my b18a then before.

So to answer your question (even though I dont have a b18a/b motor with a supercharger on it) if you are already experiencing wheel spin with a longer geared transmission, switching to a shorter geared tranny is going to do the obvious:
-Wheel spin sooner
-Faster acceleration
-Worse gas mileage

IMO, I would get the Si, GSR, or a custom setup (Si w/ LS 5th gear) with a Quaife unit. Your supercharger should be making enough torque to ruin the OEM LSD.

HTH

-n!ck
Old 04-08-2006, 07:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (jDMJeRk)

I get the concept, but then why do (and i use supras and subarus only as example) switch from 6 speeds to longer autos (supra) and dogboxes(subaru) Everyone on the honda board is die hard shorter gears=faster acceloration, which make total sense when you look at it mathematically, but when you take in account shifting, wheels spin, and so on is it really shorter gears=faster acceleration?
Old 04-09-2006, 09:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (StreetEG)

I get the basic concept of the whole shorter gears= things to expect like mileage and wheel spin. That is why I was asking about the shorter trans with LSD. I know it will make a difference but is it worth it I guess is what I am asking.
Old 04-18-2006, 12:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (PickleTeg)

Let me give you a little advice with a little common sense in it. If your spinning your wheels with you ls tranny what makes you think its not going to get any worse with and si/gsr/itr tranny...if you think about it all the time that your gonna be wheel spinning you can actually be putting the horsepower to the ground instead of wheel spinning...its only gonna feel faster because of all the wheel hoping and spinning...but what good does that do if you can grip...IMO short trannys are only good for all motor