Notices

JE Forgies and Total seal Gapless 2nd Rings

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2004, 03:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JE Forgies and Total seal Gapless 2nd Rings

Hi all , have been offered the above and cannot get anyone to give me the fitting instructions for the rings . After hours on the net all I know is that coarse (240-280) grit hones are used and PCV restrictors are used to prevent oil being sucked down the guides . These rings are supposed to give minimum leak down or blow by . A cone of silence surrounds Total Seals instructions and I refuse to buy a set to find out . For the record the pistons are 87.5mm intended for VG30DETT . I want to build up an RB26/30DET and using these pistons with a decked block will give me the 8.5-8.8 CR that I want .
Any information especially with the rings greaty appreciated ,
Thanks DP03 .
Old 11-05-2004, 03:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: JE Forgies and Total seal Gapless 2nd Rings (discopotato03)

for some reason total seal rings are not very popular among the honda guys. not to many people have good things to say about them.

i never used them but i think the idea around them is good....im sure there is someone out there who can help you though........

you might get a good reply from Larry at Endyn. he has lot of experience in engine building and probably has used those rings at some point in time. http://www.theoldone.com/forum/
Old 11-05-2004, 05:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: JE Forgies and Total seal Gapless 2nd Rings (discopotato03)

As far as I know, only the top ring is gapless, not the second ring. CP Pistons are all about performance. If the gapless worked better, CP would supply them with their pistons. Remember, ring seal is not only between the ring and the piston wall but also between the piston (ring land area) and the ring. This is the area that the total seal concept does not work. It builds pressure from underneath and then unseats the ring and seal is lost.
Old 11-05-2004, 08:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: JE Forgies and Total seal Gapless 2nd Rings (earl)

wow, thats pretty harsh to be baggin on total seal rings like that earl, i have used them with great success. only had a problem with them sealing once and that was an error upon my part, i guess you live and you learn but as far as total seal rings go. they have worked for me. to each there own i guess...Miller

have you ever tried the childs and albert rings before?
Old 11-05-2004, 10:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: JE Forgies and Total seal Gapless 2nd Rings (miller)

Honestly, I have never tried a Total Seal ring personally. I am just repeating what CP has told me. You have to stick with what works for you, no matter what name is on it.
Old 11-06-2004, 07:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: JE Forgies and Total seal Gapless 2nd Rings (earl)

i tried total seal rings in 3 engine all of them had seating problems 2 of the engines i pulled the rings out and put hasting rings in it and they sealed off back

so they get a from me