Notices

JDM H22 Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2004, 01:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JDM H22 Turbo

Well before I make an a** of myself by asking a sh*tload of noob questions in here let me just say one thing. I never considered tubo as an option I would want on my car till a good friend of mine boosted his 92 HB Civic JDM H22. One ride and I had to drive. One spin around the block and now I have got to get one.
First thing is that my buddy is running stock internals and 7psi but, I am a little skeptical on that cause I dont want to blow my engine. He said he will sleeve and build up when he has too. What does he mean?
What kind of HP gains do you see on 7psi? 14psi?
What is a safe boost level for a stock H22?
How much needs too be spent on parts to build up and be safe for high boost levels?
Kit or Custom?
What size (I use the term vaguelly) turbo for quick spoolin on an H22?
I want a daily driver so what is the most boost I should run?

Thank you all for your help and look forward too your responces.
Old 10-23-2004, 05:07 AM

Default Re: JDM H22 Turbo (vtec92lude)

its not necissarily the boost levels that kill the H22 is the amount of HP. The stock H22's suffer from weak ringlands in the pistons. Usually about 270 WHP is about a stock H22 bottom end will handle reliably. Although there are always exceptions to this rule. For instance Laorange tuning made 314 WHP on AEM EMS system with some very conservative timing. Some people blow them up with less than that. The amount of boost a stock H22 can handle depends on the size of the turbo. A smaller turbo will need more boost to flow the same CFM as a larger turbo does on less boost. So realisticly 270 WHP could be made anywhere from 6 to 10 PSI depending on the size of turbo. I am also going to boost my H22. Just take into consideration when u boost it to run some very conservative timing. As far as turbo size well It depends on what u really want and what HP goals u want.
I would go with a T3/T4 series turbo. Dont go any smaller than a 50 trim for the compressor and go with a .63 AR. Personally I like smaller faster spooling turbos myself so I choose the Precision SC 44. I believe its like a 57 trim, .63 (If I am not mistaken). These turbos have been known to make 400+ WHP. IMO why do u ever want to make any more for a street car? Most people I have noticed on here like the dyno queen turbos. They like large turbos that flow lots of CFM, spool slowly, and make big power. I am not one of those. As far as going custom or a kit. Thats up to u. I am doing a custom kit myself. If u arent very experienced in what u are looking for then I would go with a good quality turbo kit. Here is my setup (which is not installed yet, but very soon I hope)

98 Civic CX hatch
-92 SIR H22A with LSD
-Precision SC 44 turbo .63 AR
-Lovefab Mini-me manifold
-Turbo XS RFL BOV
-Tial 38MM wastegate
-3" custom downpipe with custom 3" exhaust with magnaflow mufflers
-custom Vertical flow intercooler with spearco core 18x3x12.5
-Hondata S200B
-rc engineering 550 CC injectors

good luck.

Modified by Honda_Tengoku at 6:32 AM 10/24/2004
Old 10-23-2004, 03:18 PM

What is CFM?
What does the .63AR mean?
And what is trim?

Thanks for the help all
Old 10-24-2004, 05:32 AM

cfm means cubic feet per minute. Larger turbos create more airflow therfore more power, but unfortunately turbo lag is the problem.

Trim refers to the compressor wheel. Just remember that the larger the trim the more airflow a compressor can flow but obviously a larger trim wheel spools slower.

AR is the exuast housing. Same thing here as the trim. Just remember the larger the ar housing the slower the turbo spools but more potential for more CFM with a properly sized compressor.

Its important to properly size your turbo for your aplication. Going too small is just as bad as going too big. Do some research on the size of turbo u want, the power output u want, the type of driving style u want, and research what compressor maps are (a very usueful tool when deciding a turbo) and make your decision.
good luck.
Old 10-24-2004, 09:01 PM

Thanks so much for the help!

What would you recomend for me to get a KIT or Custom build?

I am new to turbo's but have a couple friends running them and they could prolly give me some advise, but I don't know for sure how knowledgeable they are.

Thank you
Old 10-25-2004, 05:29 AM

personally if I were u I would prolly by a kit. If u had more knowledge on what u needed then I would say build a custom one. Most kits are pretty decent. If u have the money the Full-Race kit is the best on the market hands down. If u dont then go with a Drag Gen, F-MAx, or even a Greddy is decent. Then get a fuel management system. Throw away that fuel riser crap they give with the kits and get something worthwhile like Hondata, AEM EMS, or even Uberdata. To make any Honda live underboost the secret is to have the proper tuning. Especially on the H22! Do not, I repeat do not street tune the H22! Everyone I have known personally has blown their H22s! Every single one of them has been street tuned. That should tell u something. The H22 ringslands are too fragile to screw around with. get it done right the first time.
Old 10-25-2004, 09:45 PM

Thank you for all the help. I really appreciate it.

Derek
Old 10-25-2004, 10:01 PM

Yup like Honda_Tengoku mentioned get turbo kit since you dont know much about turbocharging and buy yourself a decent fuel menagement (hondata, ems etc.) and have somebody tune for you and you will love it. Happy boosting
Old 10-26-2004, 10:35 AM

Default Re: JDM H22 Turbo (Honda_Tengoku)

where should I go to get the Full-Race Kit, or Drag-Kit?
Old 10-26-2004, 10:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

you can never go wrong with full race, all quality parts and it gives your motor room to grow before you have to upgrade the kits components. It all depends on how much you want to spend. Defenatly price in a hondata system or an equaivalent engine management system with your kit. I ran 7psi on my jdm h22 with no problems
Old 10-26-2004, 12:10 PM

http://www.full-race.com

as far as the the other kits goes u should be able to get them through most aftermarket shops. I personally use http://www.sportcompactwarehouse.com. They can get almost anything. If u call talk to Steve. Tell him Jeremy with the H22 Civic sent u.
Old 01-04-2005, 08:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: JDM H22 Turbo (Honda_Tengoku)

on 7 pounds with a Full-Race kit, how can you get that power to the ground without popping axles? Im worried just running all motor h22 in my civic right now.