Notices

Jackson racing supercharger setup advice

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2009, 06:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jackson racing supercharger setup advice

I bought a used jrsc and sent it to jackson racing for a complete inspection and updating / overhauling. This will be my first supercharged car I am going to do the install which I feel comfortable with as I am a boat mechanic of over 20 years. I have a civic hatch with a gsr swap that has 24 k miles on it . I want to keep the car reliable yet I want to get the best possible/ least headaches power I can . Any suggestions ///How many lbs boost pulley should I get them to put on it and any other things I may need ???I ordered a walbro fuel pump 342 a cartech fmu, cooler plugs and a hondata intake gasket . I have also called the import shop to let them know I want them to put it on the dyno once I get the install done . Any help or suggestions are appreciated and remember I dont wanna go insane spending thousands of dollars I just want some good fairly inexpensive reliable power
Old 01-10-2009, 08:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Jackson racing supercharger setup advice

The install is fairly straightforward if you follow the directions closely.

The biggest thing you want to think about it tuning. The FMU solution requires you to pull 10 degrees of base timing, and as a mechanic you can probably guess that turning a distributor back by ten degrees with no other modifications is not a good thing.

There are a number of really good solutions, from modifying your stock ECU to make it tunable to replacing it with a high $ standalone engine management system.

You can run the FMU, but in order to retain drivability, JR made a cheap piggyback called a MAP controller. It lets you restore all but two degrees of your timing and makes the car drive much more smoothly. It only takes a few minutes to wire in, and was my best modification before I got rid of my FMU.

Keep the boost low, think of the rising rate of the FMU and how much it is going to increase fuel pressure at the injectors to try and keep up with the fuel demands under boost. Personally I don't go over 6 PSI on an FMU, but I know people that have done 8. I tried 10 PSI on an FMU and ended up breaking the very brittle ring lands off of my Honda pistons. I should look on the bright side though, blowing up that first Honda motor did lead me to where I'm at now with a very nicely built Honda motor, although you may prefer to keep your pistons in one piece.
Old 01-11-2009, 04:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I got rich and lean reading throughout the rpm range with a FMU. A chipped setup doesnt cost that much anyways.
Old 01-12-2009, 12:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If you want to save headaches, return that FMU and get a chipped stock ECU for dyno tuning.
Old 01-13-2009, 09:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well guys looks like I am gonna get the hondata s100 and do this thing right with a different ecu, bigger injectors and get it properly tuned on a dyno .I dont wanna put on a bunch of band aids ( FMU ,Map Controller ect ...)and take a chance screwing things up .I am taking it to a good shop to get it tuned properly I am not even gonna drive it there I am gonna tow it on dollies or a flat bed and let them do their magic then I can drive it and know its right !!! Thanks for all the advice I am a NOOB at all of this and need all the advice I can get !!
Old 01-13-2009, 09:34 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Sounds like you're going in the right direction. big ups to doing it right the first time.