Notices

It's decided, I'm doing my own turbo install. THINGS I should know before I start?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2003, 09:28 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Location: 99th level of hell, where all roads only go straight, where curves go to die. Houston Texas
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default It's decided, I'm doing my own turbo install. THINGS I should know before I start?

A local AutoXer and customer at my parents (Charles Fabros) resturant that I have know for about a year and a half now told me that they would do it for me cheap and that they could teach me how to do it myself also cuase I would be present helping him out.

He told me it shouldn't be all that hard to get it all done. He works at Ford and he does his own car work like swapping a 350 Chevy V8 into his Ferio by himself in his garage. So I figure.... it ... if he could do that he can do a turbo. He's done a little import work before...

ANYWAY.. Just wondering, are there some things that I should pay PARTICULAR attention to when installing it with him and about 4 or 8 other poeple helping?
We are trying to put in beside the turbo:
2002 MaxRev turbo kit
T3/T4
Tial Wastegate
Greddy Profec B
Hondata 2B/Ecu odb1
RC440's
Blitz BOV
Defi link Guages, boost, egt, oil pressure, fuel pressure.

Ummm... tthat's all. Let me know if there is a part where you guys might think where me might run into a problem or so, that way I can be prepared and maybe already have the answer when the problem arrives.

Just trying to prepare myself.

Old 02-19-2003, 09:30 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Location: 99th level of hell, where all roads only go straight, where curves go to die. Houston Texas
Default Re: It's decided, I'm doing my own turbo install. THINGS I should know before I start? (Snafu-Si)

I actually rather elated that I'm doing this turbo myself as well. Sure doing it at payn would have been a sure thing... a sure... expensive thing. But I think when it's all said and done, the knowledge that I will gain from putting in my own turbo will be priceless.

I can't wait.

Unless something blows up... that would be bad.
Old 02-19-2003, 09:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: It's decided, I'm doing my own turbo install. THINGS I should know before I start? (Snafu-Si)

things I've done learned.
Make sure when you drill the hole for your oil return, drill it high enough so it clears the oil sitting in the pan and also but not over one of the stud/bolt holes.

You might as well throw away the tial gaskets. They'll burn up and fall apart on you. You need the fire ring ones. Also the wastegate flange will warp a little. I have the mav-rev mani and mine did. The manifold will also warp, but if you have the slots cut into the manifold no biggie. It wont leak. You could always get it milled flat if it bothers you.

Don't even think about running it without the dumptube. You'll burn through your a/c hose. It's also a good idea to wrap the line with some fiberglass heat shielding.

I'm sure I'm forgetting some stuff, but others will add stuff. Oh yeah, I hope you're getting a new clutch some time

edit spelling

[Modified by bruthaboost, 10:55 AM 2/19/2003]
Old 02-19-2003, 09:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No blood = jinxed install

Sonny
Old 02-19-2003, 10:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looking at your list, I would put the main parts on first. Get it running then start adding extras like the Profec and 440s and Hondata.
You really need only the boost gauge at first.

Make sure you are willing to have a LONG downtime. You may need it.

Good Luck
Old 02-19-2003, 10:49 AM

Default Re: It's decided, I'm doing my own turbo install. THINGS I should know before I start? (Doodoo)

make sure your oil feed in the block is connected and sealed good before you turn the car on hehe...

lets just say mine was a little loose lol
Old 02-19-2003, 10:50 AM

Default Re: It's decided, I'm doing my own turbo install. THINGS I should know before I start? (Doodoo)

Be sure to have all the necessary things on hand, running around during a install is a bitch. Heres what i can think of: honda oil pan gasket, honda bond, locktite blue, tees and vacum hose, clamps for piping, zip ties (i love them things), oil, exhaust manifold gasket, some 18 gauge wire for the gauge, and double check all the turbo parts you will need. I alway like to start from the back of the car and work forward, ie, fuel pump, hondata, injectors, then once all the supporting components are on, install the turbo. Judt my .02.
Old 02-19-2003, 12:04 PM

Default Re: It's decided, I'm doing my own turbo install. THINGS I should know before I start? (trustsi)

just take your time! I agree with the oil pan flange... make sure it doesn't block any bolts!!!!

and solder those connections!
Old 02-19-2003, 12:26 PM

Default Re: It's decided, I'm doing my own turbo install. THINGS I should know before I start? (brcivic411)

have an extra car (friends car, parents car, whoever) JUST in case u need to go to pick up small items. actually, you wil need to pick up small items..get a friend who is down to help or watch and use him for a ride
Old 02-19-2003, 01:13 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: It's decided, I'm doing my own turbo install. THINGS I should know before I start? (Tru Dynamix

There should be a couple of people there that will help me do it also. not just me.. .no way. But this guy is a pretty good mechanic so I guess I will watch him and do what he tells me to.

I am aware that there might be some downtime. No matter, I have 2 cars anyway. ONe is my 99 Civic Si, the other is my winter beater, which is a 99 Honda CR-V. So downtime isn't a problem. I don't mind gettin some parts and local shops, shouldn't be too much of a problem. I hopel

I have already talked to my friend aobut the install. he already told me before I could say it that it would be better to install the Hondata and the injectors first, and get the car running with that... Then get the turbo put on. He told me that the fuel managment was the hard part, and that the turbo was pretty dman easy.. sooo.. Okay... That's cool with me. I just want this sucker on.

I will make sure that the oil tap is higher than where teh oil sits in the pan. I don't know which gaskets I exactly need. ANd I don't know wheather or not I need a flange for my cat and the DP... Considering that I"m going to make a custom Test pipe, I'll see what I can do.

The only thing I'm concerned with is... making the test pipe ourselves.. which I was told was easy.. since... it is just a straight pipe.. and making a inlet pipe also... which I was also told was easy.

Thanks for the tips!!

Keep them coming!!
Old 02-19-2003, 01:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: It's decided, I'm doing my own turbo install. THINGS I should know before I start? (Tru Dynamix

something to top it all off....
be prepared to be BROKE the rest of your honda days, because boost is more addicting than heroine....seriously
In a year or so, you will have a sleeved/built block ready to go in...trust me i know
oh ya...have fun
Old 02-19-2003, 01:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: It's decided, I'm doing my own turbo install. THINGS I should know before I start? (brcivic411)

just take your time! I agree with the oil pan flange... make sure it doesn't block any bolts!!!!

and solder those connections!
I had to do my oil return twice...the first time it was too close to one of the transmission braces! Then after I got my downpipe installed it was too close to that ******, but I've just got it pulled out of the way with a zip-tie
Old 02-19-2003, 01:47 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Future plans are this.

LAter this year:
-By some Falken azenis for AutoXign
C&R radiator
--Greddy oil Cooler
-New rear springs

That is it for this year, I do have to spend money elsewhere.
Like on videogames and Noir and .Hack//sign and stuff.

Then LATER late 2003 or next year.
-Get a Vented carbon fiber hood, something that looks kinda like a EVOVII hood.
-Take OFF my intercooler piping and Manifold during the winter, (since I don't drive my civic in the winter cause I have a CR-V) I can send my piping and manifold to JetHot to get them coated! put them back on, get ready for summer.

Someday.......................
-Marry some hot ****
-Win lotto
-buy Ferrari's, Lambo's, Skylines, NsX, S2000, M3, Cheyenne, hybrid civic, er... gotta save the planet you know.
-Big house, bigger garage,
-Remove backyard, and turn grass into a huge skid pad in my backyard so during weekends, I can setup autoX's with my friends and we can design our own course and people can come over and I will charge lil fee. Maybe even have drag strip back there as well so we can shoot down the 1/4 for fun.
gain super magical powers
-Become the master of the Universe.

That's the plan!

[Modified by Snafu-Si, 5:49 PM 2/19/2003]
Old 02-19-2003, 04:07 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Can someobdy tell me whta I should gap my spark plugs at?

I have some NGK iriduims. Just wondering what I shoudl gap them at for my future turbo.

Thankyou.
Old 02-19-2003, 04:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Be prepared for DOWN TIME. Don't think you can take it out in a weekend. Little things pop up, like having to hunt down screws, vacum t's, vacum hose, getting the oil pan welded, proper fitment, new exhaust manifold gasket, new oil pan gasket, colder plugs....

There is alot of baggage that comes along w/a turbo setup, but once you feel boost, it makes it all worth it.

Gl man and do it yourself!! You will more than likely have to take **** off later down the road, so learn how to do it, and it will pay off.

Old 02-19-2003, 04:34 PM
New User

good thread! except when Snafu-si starts going off about being master of the universe, heheh
Old 02-19-2003, 04:42 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Be prepared for DOWN TIME. Don't think you can take it out in a weekend. Little things pop up, like having to hunt down screws, vacum t's, vacum hose, getting the oil pan welded, proper fitment, new exhaust manifold gasket, new oil pan gasket, colder plugs....

There is alot of baggage that comes along w/a turbo setup, but once you feel boost, it makes it all worth it.

Gl man and do it yourself!! You will more than likely have to take **** off later down the road, so learn how to do it, and it will pay off.

I need a new oil pan gasket? I need a new exhuast manifold gasket? How much are those? Can I pick those up anywhere?
Old 02-19-2003, 04:49 PM
Pat
Honda-Tech Member

maybe you should get one of those mr. gasket copperseal exhaust manifold gasket, in case the maxrev flange doesn't close up well on the block. I think you can get an oilpan gasket for around 20 bucks at the dealer, or just order from hondaautomotiveparts.net.
Old 02-19-2003, 06:26 PM
New User

Dont listen to this yahoo...we do our kits in 10 hours or less in da dirty dirty...lol.

You know Im messin with u B.....

Good luck with your install, and the downtime shouldnt be too bad. A day or two max.
Old 02-19-2003, 11:02 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

I'm just hoping to get it done by March 23. That's when some family of mine is flying from CHina over here to Michigan. From what I have been told, a cousin of mine is interested in modded cars but they don't have any money over there and none of them have any cars. So I thought I would let him check out my car when it's all boosted.
Old 02-20-2003, 12:50 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

bump
Old 02-22-2003, 06:20 PM

I've been putting my MaxRev kit on my SiR for the last little while too.

The biggest pain I find is hunting down those small misc. parts not included with the kit.
- 4 manifold --> turbo bolts (I think they just forgot it for my kit)
- vauum lines + tees (found the lines, still looking for the tees)
- stud for downpipe --> turbine
- 2.0 --> 2.25 inch transition coupling for the compressor outlet to piping
- intake and filter

Keep us updated on your install.
Old 02-22-2003, 07:31 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: It's decided, I'm doing my own turbo install. THINGS I should know before I start? (red_sir)

The turbo itself look pretty easy, with just a few flanges, and gaskets that I need to pick up which is easy as pie. What I don't have any idea what to do is.. how to install my Hondata 2B.
Old 02-22-2003, 09:11 PM

something to top it all off....
be prepared to be BROKE the rest of your honda days, because boost is more addicting than heroine....seriously
In a year or so, you will have a sleeved/built block ready to go in...trust me i know
oh ya...have fun
Ah Tinker you are wise and all knowing. My little Honda adventure started with me buying a non-running 91 hatch. Got it running, wasn't happy with the ccrappy power so i dropped a ZC in it. Not a bad little engine, decent power, than i blew it up. So then i decided i'll just do a little rebuild and slap a turbo on it. Let's just say 6 months later and $4000 dollars and i'm still workin on it. So whatever you planned on spendin' my friend, add a few grand to it cause it never ends.Muhahaha
Old 02-24-2003, 02:09 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

If I had a 2nd chance, I don't think I would have gotten the turbo.. Insteady.. maybe I would have bought a BIKE instead.