Notices

itr ctr cam losing hp with mini ram and log?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2014, 06:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default itr ctr cam losing hp with mini ram and log?

allright guys, what do you guys think about this for a b16, a tuner from another Honda forum reckons that youll lose power with itr or ctr cams on mini ram and logs, they reckon its only good for ramhorns because over laps of the turbo engine,
Old 10-27-2014, 05:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: itr ctr cam losing hp with mini ram and log?

False.. I had this same issue before. ITR's are fine with log manifolds and mini rams. Basically when you go bigger than ITR's on a log manifold, yes you will have problems with back pressure issues or something like that. This I speak from experience as I was running a 6262 and inline pro manifold with ITR cams without any problems. The two other reputable tuners who actually have done these test before were Tony at T1 (I believe) and for sure Jeff Evans tuning.
Old 10-27-2014, 07:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Inline pro isnt really considered a log its a pretty decent flowing manifold that points the runners towards the collector. A mini ram for the most part are not all that restrictive either. Its the really crudely made logs that have a flange welded on some elbows and tees. They can choke and create some serious backpressure and turbulence. The severity ranges totally depending on the manifold construction, engine setup, turbine, exhaust etc. But he is partially right, big cams do not perform well on poor flowing manifolds.
Old 10-27-2014, 07:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It was true for me. We had bad reversion issues with 97 spec ITR cams and a spoolin tubular log manifold. This was at T1 so I am not going to doubt it.
Old 10-27-2014, 08:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Runnerdown
Inline pro isnt really considered a log its a pretty decent flowing manifold that points the runners towards the collector. A mini ram for the most part are not all that restrictive either. Its the really crudely made logs that have a flange welded on some elbows and tees. They can choke and create some serious backpressure and turbulence. The severity ranges totally depending on the manifold construction, engine setup, turbine, exhaust etc. But he is partially right, big cams do not perform well on poor flowing manifolds.
Originally Posted by Dark_Teg
It was true for me. We had bad reversion issues with 97 spec ITR cams and a spoolin tubular log manifold. This was at T1 so I am not going to doubt it.
Both you all have valid points. To me the spoolin log manifold does look a bit more restrictive than the inline pro. I'm just saying on "looks" basis to me and I have no science to back it up lol. My whole thing was I wanted to run Tuner 1's with my Inline pro manifold setup. Found a few older threads where people tried that setup and didnt work. I went ahead and emailed Evans tuning and they replied back saying that ITR's would be the biggest I can go for that manifold/ turbo setup. I guess there may be a difference between those two manfilds (inlinepro and spoolin) to a point where the ITR cams can/cant work. I would doubt Tony either, hes tuned a ton of Hondas
Old 10-27-2014, 08:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

As stated, InlinePro should be considered less of a log and more of a miniram/etc style. Some people have pushed them well north of 500whp.
Old 10-27-2014, 09:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Put an emap on the manifold and monitor back pressure. If it's more than double the boost pressure it's to much air flow for the manifold. Tubular logs are different than cast logs. IMO tubular logs suck
Old 10-27-2014, 10:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbo-LS
IMO tubular logs suck
I second that, you couldn't give me another one.