Notices

ITR CAMS w/Turbo..Good HP#s or Not.??

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2005, 07:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ITR CAMS w/Turbo..Good HP#s or Not.??

Looking to drop in a pair of 99 ITR Cams into my Boosted B18C1...
For those experienced...
Are the ITR's going to yeild More HP #'s?? compared to GSR's???
Or is it so minimal that its not worth it...
Inputs Needed...
Old 12-09-2005, 07:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: ITR CAMS w/Turbo..Good HP#s or Not.?? (spoonhatchblack)

More MAX horsepower, yes. Most people are limited to stock block, stock sleeves, etc, not by components. A good substitute for cams is to turn up the boost, assuming you're motor can already handle the extra power, and that your turbo isn't already too small.
Old 12-09-2005, 07:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ITR cams work awesome for boost.
Old 12-09-2005, 08:22 PM
BANNED

Default Re: ITR CAMS w/Turbo..Good HP#s or Not.?? (SEFIxCivic)

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1455045
Old 12-09-2005, 08:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ITR CAMS w/Turbo..Good HP#s or Not.?? (turbochargeb18c)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turbochargeb18c &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1455045 </TD></TR></TABLE>

I was going to say, a 10 second search would bring this up.
Old 12-09-2005, 10:20 PM

Default Re: ITR CAMS w/Turbo..Good HP#s or Not.?? (tokes1320)

Just use stock GSR cams. Cams should be one of the last things you should be worrying about. Turn the boost up if you need more power.
Old 12-10-2005, 12:10 AM

Default Re: ITR CAMS w/Turbo..Good HP#s or Not.?? (beerbongskickass)

yeah my friend runs ctr's in his built block ls/vtec and i dont know how much he gained but it helped.
Old 12-10-2005, 12:16 AM

C/ITR cams with adjustable cam gears are the best cams for turbo... hands down.
Old 12-10-2005, 05:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

pre 00" typeR cams Ive heard are the best.

I have pre 00' ITR cams in my 2.0 LSvtec, I dynoed 365.4 & 273.8ftlbs on 10psi . (B16A head w/ Gen1 mani and gen1 TB still...)

they are awesome cams. Ask Boostfed terry, I believe he switched from B16a2 cams to CTR or ITR's and gained a Boat load of power. Good Luck
Old 12-10-2005, 07:07 AM
New User

Default Re: ITR CAMS w/Turbo..Good HP#s or Not.?? (JDMs1eeper)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDMs1eeper &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">pre 00" typeR cams Ive heard are the best.

I have pre 00' ITR cams in my 2.0 LSvtec, I dynoed 365.4 & 273.8ftlbs on 10psi . (B16A head w/ Gen1 mani and gen1 TB still...)

they are awesome cams. Ask Boostfed terry, I believe he switched from B16a2 cams to CTR or ITR's and gained a Boat load of power. Good Luck </TD></TR></TABLE>

From B16A to ITR cams below

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=704660
Old 12-10-2005, 08:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by beerbongskickass &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Just use stock GSR cams. Cams should be one of the last things you should be worrying about. Turn the boost up if you need more power.</TD></TR></TABLE>

lol thats almost like saying, the turbo is one of the last things you should be worrying about...
Old 12-10-2005, 09:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDMs1eeper &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">pre 00" typeR cams Ive heard are the best. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I've seen dyno plots that proov otherwise..01&gt;97
Old 12-10-2005, 09:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ITR CAMS w/Turbo..Good HP#s or Not.?? (Mase)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by beerbongskickass &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Just use stock GSR cams. Cams should be one of the last things you should be worrying about. Turn the boost up if you need more power.</TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mase &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">lol thats almost like saying, the turbo is one of the last things you should be worrying about...</TD></TR></TABLE>

i didn't understand that either..... with the gains people are seeing on itr/ctr cams over b16 and gsr cams that just doesn't make any sense
Old 12-10-2005, 10:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: ITR CAMS w/Turbo..Good HP#s or Not.?? (4rc-fed)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 4rc-fed &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
i didn't understand that either..... with the gains people are seeing on itr/ctr cams over b16 and gsr cams that just doesn't make any sense</TD></TR></TABLE>

Some people think that the extra 40-100 WHP is not worth the hassle of buying a new set of cams and swapping them out. IMO it's worth it...if I had known big NA cams were ok for turbo I would have held onto my S2S1 cams after my motor rebuild instead of switching to GSR cams.
Old 12-10-2005, 04:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: ITR CAMS w/Turbo..Good HP#s or Not.?? (BlueShadow)

The deal is that cams play a big part in NA gains. With NA you're limited mostly to increasing redline, flow, and volumetric effeciency. How many stock honda motors can produce enough power NA to bend stock rods, assuming good tuning/gas?

If there are people making MUCH more power than most poeple can handle, and doing it with stock cams, why would you make cams an upgrade before forged rods/pistons and a bigger turbo? Not many people max out their turbos, so upping the boost a bit will usually be better than a cam upgrade that may sacrafice some low-end.

To make a long story short, there's better things to put money into.
Old 12-10-2005, 04:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ITR CAMS w/Turbo..Good HP#s or Not.?? (HiProfile)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HiProfile &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
To make a long story short, there's better things to put money into.</TD></TR></TABLE>

i'd have to agree. with as much scamming and pricing of ITR/CTR cams, i don't really wanna bother with it. 50-100hp gain is great, but i would surely wait on it. i rather get a new bigger turbo
Old 12-11-2005, 04:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ITR CAMS w/Turbo..Good HP#s or Not.?? (undercoverdc2)

but what about the guys that are tunning on a stock MAP sensor? they could only go to 11 so an easy set or cams would get you nice gains. On a Vtec motor i seriously think low end will not be touched unless.

plus, why cry over getting simple gains like that? we might as well all keep 81mm bores, stock intake mani and TB. And most of us, a stock LS head instead of a vtec head. I dont know about yall but all the small things add up to helping a lot.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by undercoverdc2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

i'd have to agree. with as much scamming and pricing of ITR/CTR cams, i don't really wanna bother with it. 50-100hp gain is great, but i would surely wait on it. i rather get a new bigger turbo </TD></TR></TABLE>

GT35R, 1100-1300
GT40R, 1500-2000

ITR/CTR cams - about 300
Old 12-11-2005, 07:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDMs1eeper &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

ITR/CTR cams - about 300 </TD></TR></TABLE>

revving to 10k with GT42R ----&gt; Priceless
Old 12-11-2005, 08:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: ITR CAMS w/Turbo..Good HP#s or Not.?? (HiProfile)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HiProfile &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">To make a long story short, there's better things to put money into.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I dont quite agree with you though. Unless of course you were talking about spending the money better by buying more reliability mods. Now that it has been proven that CTR/ITR and big NA cams can make good gains, they are just like any part that increases power. However the cams will be the easiest to install. And it wont affect any of the other parts aside from the cam gears. With most other power upgrades, if you change one thing you'll probably end up having to change another part so it can complement the part that you are changing.

examples:
-going from a log manifold to an EL
-going from 2.5" DP to 3.0-3.5" DP
-going from smaller IC to larger IC
-going from 2"/2.25" IC piping to 2.5" IC piping

If you look at each of those above modifications, you'll notice that if you change one thing you'll probably have to change something else. Either that or changing the part out will need a bit of fabrication. With a manifold upgrade you'll have to get a new DP and probably IC piping. With an IC swap you might have to mod your front bumper area a little. A cam swap is probably going to be the easiest of them all, you only have to worry about the re-tune. You'll end up spending less money overall (not counting re-tune costs) and less work being done.

I'm actually in the process of upgrading my revhard kit piece by piece. At first I was looking at how changing one part would affect everything else. Eventually I said screw it and I just decided to change everything. hehehe
Old 12-11-2005, 10:26 AM

Default Re: ITR CAMS w/Turbo..Good HP#s or Not.?? (Mase)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mase &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">lol thats almost like saying, the turbo is one of the last things you should be worrying about...</TD></TR></TABLE>

Not at all. We obviously think differently when it comes to turbo setups. I'm just more of a "*** it, turn the boost up" kinda guy. I am also a cheap bastard. You know as well as I do that GSR cams are easily capable of making 500+ whp without problems. I totally agree ITR/CTR cams will make more power, but if this guys's motor is stock I don't see a point in upgrading when he can just turn the boost up a few pounds and make more power (turning the boost up is free power). If this guy has a full on drag car or dyno queen making 500+ whp and he wants to make as much power as possible? Then I could justify upgrading the cams.

I see so many people posting up asking about this or that, and how to get more power, when they should really be worrying about getting better tuning, suspension, tires, limited slip, etc... Just because you make a lot of power doesn't mean your car will be fast. Let's take my car for example. I could have spent a bunch of money on cams and headwork, but I would still be limited to what my bottom end can make. Instead I spent my money on a Quaife LSD, decent suspension, good motor mounts, slicks and drag radials. I have beat a lot of people that were making more power than me because I have traction and they couldn't put their power to the ground.
Old 12-12-2005, 02:32 PM

when upgrading a stock head to ITR/CTR cams wouldnt the valve train have to be upgraded as well???
Old 12-13-2005, 09:21 AM
New User

Default Re: ITR CAMS w/Turbo..Good HP#s or Not.?? (D-meet07)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by D-meet07 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">when upgrading a stock head to ITR/CTR cams wouldnt the valve train have to be upgraded as well???</TD></TR></TABLE>

Usually when running boost or especially high boost you should upgrade the valvesprings. The reason behind it is you want a spring stiff enough to close the valves shut.