Notices

Internal Wastegate vs. External Wastegate

Old 03-11-2006, 07:52 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Internal Wastegate vs. External Wastegate

Starting out i know this has already been covered and i searched for this but couldn't actually get the search to narrow it down to an argument between these two, so mods feel free to delete/lock this thread if this is something not needed and i apologize for posting this.

So, i'm new to the turbo scene, and i've been researching constalty for a while now, i just really wanna do a turbo setup just to get the feel and learn on the engineering of forced inductino setups, so making power isn't my priority here, mainly just to get a good grip on how to manage turbo's and just pretty much "HOW TO" basiscs on turbo's.

I've made countless number of things needed and lists, and researched online and found websites which will accomodate my low budget turbo build, (cheapturbo.com and such have a lot to offer.) and i've been all over homemadeturbo.com also, they've got a decent amount of resrouces for starters.

this is where i'm stuck, i cant seem to narrow it down to the fact WHICH is better an external wasteaget or internal wastegate. Upon my research the external wastegate is slightly easier to maintain and be easily swapped for different levels of boost...but then again i find a lot of people with both setups so pretty much what i'm asking is whats the advantage of having either one of these and for starters and not running a lot of boost on stock internals what should be the optimal choice for me. (running the turbo on an obd0 b16) so any insight and any help would be greatly appreciated and like i said before if anyone can point me in the direction of an already discussed topic pertaining to this one lemme know. thanks...
Old 03-11-2006, 09:22 AM
(banned)

Default Re: Internal Wastegate vs. External Wastegate (pr3d)

External
Old 03-11-2006, 09:38 AM
Mr. Badwrench

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

small turbo low boost, if the turbo already comes equipped, an internal will do fine. i had a te23-e on my t type spooling 30 psi with no issues. bigger turbos, usually need a bigger gate to control the boost better at lower boost levels.
Old 03-11-2006, 09:56 AM
Man U FTW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

external because you have better control over boost....on a tiny turbo like a T25 or the T23 mentioned above, it wouldn't be a big deal to use internal, but for something like a T3T4, i would ALWAYS use an external......
Old 03-12-2006, 09:09 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

ok i'm gonna be going with a T3/TO4E, for something like that the external wastegate is better to go with? and also what all variables determine the necessity of an an external of internal wastegate? like the turbine size? and all?
Old 03-12-2006, 09:38 AM

Default Re: (pr3d)

The only thing I wish I would have done different on my setup when I put it together 2 years agp was an external wastgate. The internal wg that came on my turbo was kinda small and a pain in the *** when I wanted to boost more than 10psi. I like my tial much better.
Old 03-12-2006, 01:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (beerbongskickass)

Usually you experience boost creep with internal gates when running a large amount of boost. Thats the only downside. I run my external wastegate off the exhaust housing instead of the manifold and I see alot of boost creep even that way as well. What You can do is take the exhaust housing off and have a machine shop bore out the gate hole so the exhaust can exit out of a larger hole.
Old 03-12-2006, 01:56 PM

Hey dude, I'm with ya on the newbie thing.. I have a ZC and am putting together lists and such, too. I think I am going to go with a to4e with 48 a/r and 54 trim. I trying NOT to change over my obd0 to obd1 and run Apex AFC or some sort of diaphram FMU and a pump w/370cc injectors on my PG7 ecu. What have you come up with as far as fuel mgmt? Im only going to run about 8-10 psi. and not such whether to go with internal or external either so I'll be watching. Good luck
Old 03-12-2006, 01:59 PM

Default Re: Internal Wastegate vs. External Wastegate (planoguy36)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by planoguy36 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I trying NOT to change over my obd0 to obd1 and run Apex AFC or some sort of diaphram FMU and a pump w/370cc injectors on my PG7 ecu. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Why? AFC/FMU is **** compared to getting real fuel management. Tuning is pretty much the most important part of a turbo setup.
Old 03-12-2006, 07:14 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

so, external wastegate it is..thanks..
Old 03-12-2006, 10:21 PM

Default Re: Internal Wastegate vs. External Wastegate (beerbongskickass)

I understand that a differnet ECU and Tuning software is the ultimate way to go but MUCH more expensive. Wouldn't a much cheaper Apexi hack or diaphram FMU pretty much do the same thing?

I just want to get is close enough but still run well; I'm not trying to tweek every litle ounce of power out of it.. I mean thats cool for bigger enthusiasts. I kinda more plug and play. sorry.
Old 03-12-2006, 10:28 PM

Default Re: (pr3d)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by pr3d &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">so, external wastegate it is..thanks..</TD></TR></TABLE>

Good choice.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by planoguy36 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I understand that a differnet ECU and Tuning software is the ultimate way to go but MUCH more expensive. Wouldn't a much cheaper Apexi hack or diaphram FMU pretty much do the same thing?

I just want to get is close enough but still run well; I'm not trying to tweek every litle ounce of power out of it.. I mean thats cool for bigger enthusiasts. I kinda more plug and play. sorry.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Running a chipped ECU tuned for your car compared to an AFC/FMU setup is not even close to the same thing. Crome is free software, so if you can find somebody to chip and tune your ECU your set. I would seriously look into it before you go turbo because tuning is the key to having a fast and reliable car.
Old 03-13-2006, 06:02 PM

Default Re: (beerbongskickass)

Point taken, thanks..

Sorry pr3d, didnt mean to cut in on your thread but maybe we both learned something.. If I may be bold enough to ask, could you be more specific about about what a "chipped" ECU is and how it works? Could I get my current (PG7 OBD0) ECU chipped without having to buy all the OBD1 stuff? Thanks