Notices

interesting problem...heat wrap burning? oil return? chime in

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2005, 04:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default interesting problem...heat wrap burning? oil return? chime in

a few weeks ago i had an issue with my oil pan...i was going up hill, doing around 35 in 3rd...no load on the motor whatsoever and it just started smoking like crazy. i pulled over and saw that oil was dripping all over my downpipe. got home...pulled the pan and saw that the pan was warped and the gasket wasnt sealing well, due to acura doing a service on it previous to the turbo install.

i got a new pan and fitting welded, cleaned off the block well, the whole nine. im using two heat shielding products from DEI; exhaust wrap and a line fire sleeve for the oil return line just to be safe. i have been noticing some very odd smells from under the car, and today i had a weird feeling, got under and looked...and an area on the downpipe, about 6 inches from the testpipe was smoking, with the heatwrap on it. is this normal? i have heard it does burn a little, but after this long? im getting a funky smell, doesnt smell like burning rubber/silicon or anything like that, more of just a very odd smell from right under the car.

im wondering if something is going on that im not aware of. a new setup is going on and i need the car to be driveable for another month and a half....yet im very nervous.

if anyone has any experience please chime in
Old 07-28-2005, 04:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

All the heat/header wrap I ever used usually took about a day to completely burn off all the smelly stuff. Then after that it was fine.
Old 07-28-2005, 04:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

header wraps r bad to use...for race only...they will fawk up ur manifolds..headers...downpipes...their r a no no...go get your pipes ceramic coated...it will work better and ur chit will last alot longer
Old 07-28-2005, 05:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (lucidvtec)

edit: found the problem...again my ge sandwich adaptor must have some sort of debris in the o-ring area and i have like little drips of oil dripping down on the wrapped part of the downpipe
next oil change i will take care of that...

thanks everyone