Notices

Interesting comparison and am I done for? Spark plug related.

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2004, 02:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Interesting comparison and am I done for? Spark plug related.

Ok I just went to change my spark plugs (BKR7E-11)(1283) and as I was gapping the new ones I noticed that some were differently colored.

One was silver covered and the other was gold. I also noticed that the silver colored ones were much much easier to close the gap on. I initially had thought they were different since when I picked them up at the store,I realized that the part number was the same but the boxes were different.

After a little bit of research I encountered this:
http://www.ngk.com
Why did NGK change from the GOLD ANODIZING on their plugs?

The previous plating used on NGK plugs was hexavalent (gold colored). Due to environmental issues, NGK has changed the plating to trivalent (silver colored). The purpose of the plating was to prevent corrosion on the plugs. The new plating actually is better at corrosion protection.

The problem arises in that the newer coating does not make the plugs as easy to read in racing applications using alcohol.

According to the NGK engineers and the techs, it is still possible to read these plugs. While the older plating made reading extremely simple, they say the seasoned racer/tuner will quickly learn the nuances of the new plugs and be reading them as well.

To our knowledge the older plated plugs are gone from inventory, we cannot control which type you will receive, (plan on getting the newer coating).

If you have difficulties reading the newer plating, contact NGK's official U.S. website at http://www.ngksparkplugs.com , additional technical info and contact info may be available.

While I was changing them out I noticed that the 1st and 3rd cylinder plugs looked different from the mostly all black 2nd and 4th. The 1/3 looked much whiter around the inner electrode and the surroudning area. Is this anything to worry about? I also noticed a small amount of metal shavings (They appeared to be aluminum) on my fingers after I touched the threads..but the head was a bit warm when I pulled the plugs out (not hot at all, just semi warm)..There were none on the electrodes though. Also, there was a small drop of oil on the washer part of the 4th cylinder plug.. Here's a picture (I know it's shitty but might be able to show the consistencies or lack there of). FYI: I did throw a misfire code for cylinder 2 once or twice, and another code for cylinder 3 I believe.

Left to Right 4 3 2 1.

Let me know what you guys think.
Old 09-19-2004, 07:04 PM

Default Re: Interesting comparison and am I done for? Spark plug related. (ILLICON3000)

No input?
Old 09-19-2004, 08:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Interesting comparison and am I done for? Spark plug related. (ILLICON3000)

If you're worried, do a compression test...

If results are consistent, change out all plugs to new style and watch closely!

I hope you have a wide band and arn't just eyeballin' it!
Old 09-20-2004, 03:05 AM

I got tuned at Inline Pro so I'm not just guessing...anyways I stuck the 4 new ones in there...I'll check em after 100 miles or so.

I just put alot of effort into taking pictures and researching that stuff.....was wondering if any one noticed the plating change..or knew any possible changes that come from the new ones..heat transfer and otherwise
Old 09-20-2004, 07:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ILLICON3000)

you know, if you're really this concerned about it you need to call NGK. You are a customer and If you explain your findings to them they may be able to help you better than anyone here. No one here is going to know the questions you're asking unless they have spoke to an NGK tech or are one.