Notices

Intercooler Piping Homemade¿¿

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2006, 10:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intercooler Piping Homemade¿¿

I posted this on d series org and got some pretty good responses and i wanted to make it to a larger forum . I have recently got married and have a girl on the way , so that translates into Im BROKE as HELL but I still want to boost my hf . i have a dx motor that im probably going to throw some vitara pistons in , head studs and thats about it . im going to run about 12-15 psi of boost . i really dont care if it blows up but anyways . I wanted to ask opinions on the IC piping . As a Lowes employee , I see pvc pipe all day long and my brother works at a very large pipe company . I was thinking of spending around 20 bucks to make all the intercooler piping . Schedule 40 would be my choice . I talked to one of my friends , who happens to be an airplane engineer who has a boosted ls hatch and he said that the piping would not get hot enough to melt . i would paint it with a hihg heat spray just in case . but i was wondering if anyone has made a complete system out of pvc . i searched and found a couple but id like to know what everyone thinks . remember , i know the correct way to do it , i just want the cheapest . august 20 is the due date on teh baby and the car hopefully july 31 . so remember im brok3 as hell all opinions are appreciated , good and bad . but explain why if good or bad .
Old 06-30-2006, 11:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Intercooler Piping Homemade¿¿ (Lightweight Boost)

IAT's (after being cooled by an fmic) are considered low at 120deg F, and range past 200deg F in some cases. http://www.harvel.com/piping-pvc.asp Shows pvc piping as having a max servicable temp of 140deg F, softens at 250deg F - and thats for high-grade stuff. You won't find the highest grade at any place selling to the average Joe, 'he' could give two craps about quality if the price is right. ANyways, even your training classes will hint that white PVC is typically for drain water only, and not suggested for pressure. CPVC has additives so it can whithstand higher temps.

Now I've seen a ghetto setup on a GTi using PVC, but the car hasn't used a full tank of gas since it was dyno'd a year ago. You're going to have to hack the pipe and use JB weld for the BOV, and the one on that GTi always seemed to come loose.

You can get cheap bends off ebay for $15 per 180* bend. For $100 and some time, you can get cheap couplers and make it work, look okay, and still be cheap. Otherwise you'll be doing the same thing later with your kid - ghetto day care isn't worth the $10 savings...
Old 06-30-2006, 11:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The heat by it self or the pressure by it self might not be an issue but together i think they probably would be. If you do decide to do it, let us know how it turns out i would be curious.

Congrats on becoming a dad though.
Old 07-01-2006, 06:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

get your priorities straight .........srew the boost **** and concentrate on taking care of your family........
Old 07-01-2006, 06:37 AM

you are screwing with a car and half assing everything then comming on lineand expect those who actually know about cars to back you?

I know it will, and I will laugh at you when it melts.
Old 07-01-2006, 08:25 AM

Default Re: (oscarmayer)

thanks everyone for the responses . first off , my lil girl will get the best of everything , trust me on that ., no ghetto daycare . big al , i will definitely post some pics when i do it cause ill try it once . if it doesnt work , oh well i tried . NON VTEC , i got my priorities straight , family is first . if i didnt i would by the kit instead of making . i just take about 50 bucks out of my check every 2 weeks and put it toward car fund . OSCARMAYER , im not tryin to get people ti back me , i just wanted reasons why people thought it might and might not work and i know a decent amount about cars . if it melts oh well , i will take the time to save for IC kit . OH yeah , HIprofile the JBWeld for the BOV , i thinks its a mitsu BOV that i can use since its plastic and will go right on . anyways , keep em coming .