Notices

installing a/f guage.....where's the O2 line? and how do i tap into it?

Old 05-08-2002, 11:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default installing a/f guage.....where's the O2 line? and how do i tap into it?

ok, i'm still working on my a/f guage install...

can someone describe show picture of how to install the autometer sensor line into the O2 line that runs to the ecu? I think I've located it on the passenger side kick panel, but i don't see how i can get in there to tap the line. only a few inches of it are exposed and looks impossible to tap. if anyone has pics of an install or can give me a detailed description of this step, i'd be appreciative! thanks!
Old 05-09-2002, 12:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: installing a/f guage.....where's the O2 line? and how do i tap into it? (Teg4e)

pop your hood, look for your header and O2 senser, tap the wire right there! (not to close to the header, you dont want it to melt the wires) then run it to the gauge. damn that was simple. i did this about a week or two ago, no problems...
Old 05-09-2002, 06:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: installing a/f guage.....where's the O2 line? and how do i tap into it? (turbohf)

98 Ls, the o2 is under the car in the downpipe....tap it into the white wire
Old 05-09-2002, 07:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: installing a/f guage.....where's the O2 line? and how do i tap into it? (Slow_ass_4dr)

Or near the Battery, there should be a harness, two of them or so. Look for a white wire with a green line.

Tap into that.

Or tap into ECU or O2 sensor directly.
Old 05-09-2002, 08:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: installing a/f guage.....where's the O2 line? and how do i tap into it? (Teg4e)

I think it's d15. I don't have the helms in front of me, but you can confirm if you have a multimeter. Just check for continuity. IM me tomorrow and I'll check to make sure.
HTH

[Modified by b18bpwr, 9:42 PM 5/9/2002]
Old 05-09-2002, 09:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: installing a/f guage.....where's the O2 line? and how do i tap into it? (b18bpwr)

or tap it into the ecu directly. Should be the fattest white wire. Remove the kick panel, remove the 2 10mm bolts holding the ecu down and take it out.

Extend the wire on the gauge using butt connectors or something, strip the end of the wire, run it under the dash, along the floor behind the radio. strip the plastic layer of the wire, attach the other wire, solder it and tape it up. POC(peice of cake)
Old 05-09-2002, 09:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: installing a/f guage.....where's the O2 line? and how do i tap into it? (intekragsr)

or tap it into the ecu directly. Should be the fattest white wire. Remove the kick panel, remove the 2 10mm bolts holding the ecu down and take it out.

Extend the wire on the gauge using butt connectors or something, strip the end of the wire, run it under the dash, along the floor behind the radio. strip the plastic layer of the wire, attach the other wire, solder it and tape it up. POC(peice of cake)
Yeah, totally tap it from the ecu, running wires through the firewall (and near the hot exhaust!) sucks. I didn't notice the wires were different thicknesses, though...just had to look at the diagram. Really easy if you have a Haynes, even.
Old 05-09-2002, 11:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: installing a/f guage.....where's the O2 line? and how do i tap into it? (ion_four)

Hey thanks for the help so far I've removed the kick plate and looked at the ECU.....and wow it's a jungle down there. I think i see the white one, which is supposedly the O2 line. I, too, didn't notice it being larger than any other wires. It seems the wire will have to be lengthened either way, if i run it to the ecu or to the wire within the engine bay.

What do you guys think? Should i run it through the firewall into the engine or attempt to tap into that ecu wire? The ECU tap looks tough, so suggestions for that install, i.e. pics, specs would be great....... thanks again!
Old 05-09-2002, 11:41 PM
New User

Make sure it's the all white whire. There are a few that WILL trick you. My friend warned me of this, and I still tapped the wrong one twice until I found it. Make sure and test the gauge with your A/F wire just twisted to the wire you think is correct. It would suck to solder everything, tape it up, screw it all back together to find out you hit the wrong wire.
Old 05-09-2002, 11:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: installing a/f guage.....where's the O2 line? and how do i tap into it? (degradated)

Make sure it's the all white whire. There are a few that WILL trick you. My friend warned me of this, and I still tapped the wrong one twice until I found it. Make sure and test the gauge with your A/F wire just twisted to the wire you think is correct. It would suck to solder everything, tape it up, screw it all back together to find out you hit the wrong wire.
I think those little 3m inline electrical connectors are the greatest invention of all time...just get some at radioshack and if you **** it up, all it does is cut a bit of the sheath...and pry it off and put it on the correct wire...