Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Forced Induction (https://honda-tech.com/forums/forced-induction-16/)
-   -   Inquiry: D16z6/y8 Component Questions for a 500BHP Build (https://honda-tech.com/forums/forced-induction-16/inquiry-d16z6-y8-component-questions-500bhp-build-3329541/)

Ronin53 10-27-2018 08:57 PM

Inquiry: D16z6/y8 Component Questions for a 500BHP Build

I have a 1992 DX shell that I am dropping in a fully built D16z6/y8 to break in and test run. I don't realty want to run an ebay turbo kit, I am in search for a D16z6/y8 and once I locate one, I am planning on doing a ton of work to it. Sleeves, and built all the way. My question is very simple. I am shooting for 500BHP. I have seen some setups using Vitara rods and pistons pushing 500BHP, has anyone gotten any longevity on these internals? I was just going to go high end internals, but since this is the first SOHC build for me, I want to test the waters, and save a little cash.

What are yall running for turbos and manifolds? I was thinking GT35R, but I have heard good things about the Turbonetics kits. This isn't a budget build, I am eventually turning this into a autoX car tuned down to 400BHP, but for now, 500BHP is my goal. Any advice helps! thanks yall!

DaX 10-28-2018 05:36 AM

Re: D16z6/Y8 Turbo kit question

If it isn't a budget build, skip the Vitara pistons and go for some forged pistons. Give Go-Autoworks a call, or look at their website for D-series turbo kits.

KDerekT83 10-28-2018 09:15 AM

I'm using a Holset HX35 with all GO-Autoworks parts.

Txdragon 10-28-2018 10:36 AM

re: Inquiry: D16z6/y8 Component Questions for a 500BHP Build

Originally Posted by Ronin53 (Post 51765750)
I am in search for a D16z6/y8 and once I locate one, I am planning on doing a ton of work to it. Sleeves, and built all the way. My question is very simple. I am shooting for 500BHP. I have seen some setups using Vitara rods and pistons pushing 500BHP, has anyone gotten any longevity on these internals? I was just going to go high end internals, but since this is the first SOHC build for me, I want to test the waters, and save a little cash.

What are yall running for turbos and manifolds? I was thinking GT35R, but I have heard good things about the Turbonetics kits. This isn't a budget build, I am eventually turning this into a autoX car tuned down to 400BHP, but for now, 500BHP is my goal. Any advice helps! thanks yall!

Z6 block, Y8 head? Y8 Block, Z6 head? Or, Z6 OR Y8 build? With EITHER setup, It'll last til it breaks.. 500hp, you don't **need** to sleeve; that's an expensive insurance policy. You can but, there are many well documented D-series pushing past that number on stock cylinders. 600 and higher, you may wanna consider it.
Both engines are pretty similar but the Y8 head will require more work at those levels. Their power is down low, Z6 is up higher. So, depending on your use..
Given your current question about the Vitaras, there are many ran that are running ok after several thousand miles of daily driving. Cookie cutter build.. Search d16z6 vitara turbo and see the slew of YouTube videos. Everything from basic 300hp grocery getters to damn near 9 second 1/4 mile single cam hotness..

Autoworks 10-29-2018 03:56 AM

Originally Posted by DaX (Post 51765779)
If it isn't a budget build, skip the Vitara pistons and go for some forged pistons. Give Go-Autoworks a call, or look at their website for D-series turbo kits.

Originally Posted by KDerekT83 (Post 51765862)
I'm using a Holset HX35 with all GO-Autoworks parts.

:thumbup: :thumbup:

IMO, a 35R, or 35R sized turbo on a D series is way over sized for a 500hp goal... ESPECIALLY if you are looking at auto X or any type of road race app where boost response is the leading factor. I would get down to the 52-58mm compressor range and use something that would be much more responsive, put the power where you need it, and not be a peaky "drag" power band (which is what a 35R would be on a D series)

Turbonetics doesn't make Honda "kits", but they do offer some great turbos to suit your goal in the TNX line (20-60 or 30-xx). There are just companies that use their line in their kits. You can also give them a call direct.

Autoworks 10-29-2018 04:01 AM

re: Inquiry: D16z6/y8 Component Questions for a 500BHP Build

My $.02...I would never consider a vitara piston and sleeved block together. If you are going to go through the costs and trouble of sleeving or CSS'ing a block, then use a forged piston with better compression and characteristics.
I also wouldn't over complicate a "simple" goal. You can easily do what you are looking to achieve with a complete Z6. I say that to say I wouldn't search high and low for a Y8 head if a Z6 head is sitting there in front of you.

BigGarretT70 11-04-2018 03:55 PM

Re: Inquiry: D16z6/y8 Component Questions for a 500BHP Build

I have this exact setup with Vitara pistons D16y8 block and D16z6 crank and head with speed factory no notch rods...with e85 and a tune is capable of 500whp safely. This build is a good build, lot's of power but i also have a huge turbo..

NVturbo 11-07-2018 02:27 AM

It's all about the TUNE. You can have all high quality parts and it will not make power if the tuner doesn't know what he's doing.

Txdragon 11-07-2018 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by NVturbo (Post 51774820)
It's all about the TUNE. You can have all high quality parts and it will not make power if the tuner doesn't know what he's doing.

^^ this right here

K7-1Ktrevor 11-08-2018 11:26 AM

I second not using vitara pistons. They are almost always a let down in terms of how the engine acts outside of boost as well as they take allot more boost to make the power that a higher compression ratio would yield. I wouldn't use them in an engine even if they were free. Go 9.5 to 1 compression with good rods and it will feel so much better then vitaras would.

riggsdelsol 01-07-2021 09:03 AM

how did this build go? did you reach the 500 bhp goal? i have a 95 del sol i bought as a project for my son and I. I have a lead on a z6 and y8 head not assembled a guy is selling for $200 im planning on buying saturday.