Notices

Inconsistent misfire.tried everything!! LSvtec GE sleeved Pro1 3582R setup

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 06:50 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Inconsistent misfire.tried everything!! LSvtec GE sleeved Pro1 3582R setup

Im having an issue with my current setup and i have tried just about everything. Im in need of some help! If you can solve this issue you are trully a Honda Tech, and my hats off to you. Breakdown of the setup.

B18B1 Block:
GE sleeved block 82mm
9:1 CP pistons iirc
Manley rods
ACL barrings
ARP mains
ARP headstuds
balanced and blueprinted

B18C1 cyl head:
Supertech valve springs/retainers
Skunk2 Pro1 cams
Skunk2 IM
Edelbrock TB
1000cc inj
255lph walbro

Turbo setup:
FullRace T3 ramhorn
44mm Tial 1bar spring
GT3582R turbo
Spearco intercooler
2.5" custom charge piping
3" downpipe no cat
3" thermal exhaust
turbonetics bov

Hondata s300

Rundown of the chain of events. (footnotes)

On dyno tuning low cam first. Dial in low cam and continue to high cam. Engine performed flawless. Made consistent power of 380whp with ~17* ign timing at peak tq. afr @ 11.3 wot(1bar).

Next pull wastegate line blows off and engine makes strange noise. (similar to valve float.) Stop all tuning and compression check engine. 210psi on all 4 cyls. Reclamp wastegate line and attempt to continue tuning. However! We are nolonger able to rev pass approx ~6500. One pull will rev out fine to almost 7k, the next will breakup at 4200or between that rpm range... Car is pulling 15"-18" of vac and will rev out with no problem with NO LOAD.

The massive list of things i have jotted down to remeber everything i have tried...

checked tps voltage during dyno run at tps and ecu.. confirmed good
checked map voltage during dyno run at map and ecu.. confirmed good
map sensor wiring good to ecu. no shorts to ground
tried different 3bar map sensors all same results
visibly confirmed all wiring to distributor is good
checked distributor continuity to ecu all is good
checked for shorts to ground on distributor none found
checked volatage to coil/icm during dyno run confirmed 13.5 volts
new plugs, changed gap multiple times tighter and tighter each time. started at .022 currently at .010
tried 2 different known working HONDA distributors.. one off 406whp GSR other off 320whp B16.
ohm tested current spark plug wires (ngk 3k-8k) (magnacore 400ohms-600ohms)
tried new ngk spark plug wires same results
tried known used good Honda wires same results
confirmed afr is good and consistent. flat 11.3-11.5afr... same results
confirmed fuel pressure is holding and rising with boost ref. same results
removed cams and inspected/confirmed no broken valve springs
checked cam timing
checked ignition timing
tried different Hondata S300
no cels
car will rev pass 8k without boost no problem... log shows -4" to atmospheric pressure... def a boost (load) related issue.
confirmed no boost cut
confirmed no launch control
changed grounds
added grounds
compression tested engine 210 per cyl
made pull all motor and engine revd to 8k no problem
checked oil pressure at head port and confirmed consistent 80psi during vtec engaugement
checked vtec wiring and confirmed good
one pull will be fine the next will breakup between 4k-6k.
Car uses nowater
No overheating
No mixing of fluids
No pressurizing of coolant system
removed exhaust system and ran open downpipe and still problem persist

During that high boost pass something was disrupted. What that was is the question at hand !!!! any suggestions I have over looked ?
Old 02-28-2012, 07:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Inconsistent misfire.tried everything!! LSvtec GE sleeved Pro1 3582R setup

When you say wastegate line came off and made a pull I'm assuming you over boosted the engine? Did it over rev? How much boost did it spike to with wastegate line off? Did it float the valves? Even a little y can slightly bend the valves and under the load might be backfiring or breaking up but that's a tough one to figure out over the internet
Old 02-28-2012, 07:23 PM
Trial User

Default Re: Inconsistent misfire.tried everything!! LSvtec GE sleeved Pro1 3582R setup

The pull made it to 6200 when gate line popped off. Follows same dyno plot as when boost ref was on gate until 5800-5900 rpm.

If it had a bent valve wouldnt the compression be lower then 210psi across ? The compression is literally 210 on the dot across...

But now thinking about it i have seen a car with good compression have 2 bent valves. But those valves would stick, then pop back into place when turning the engine over by hand... This has no issues like that and the valves are moving freely in the head from visually inspecting them.

Hmmmmm interesting ... good suggestion

EDIT: and also wouldnt it be consistent with bent valves ?? Also to note, The new dyno plots with the breakup issues occuring is making more power sooner then when it made the 380sae. It made 321 tonight breaking up at approx 7k with same boost less rpm.