Notices

Import Auto Pros Dyno Tuning Review - Bad Experience

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2013, 08:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Import Auto Pros Dyno Tuning Review - Bad Experience

EDIT: on 9/12/2013 at 11:20AM i received a full refund for this tune.

Avoid import auto pros (david) unless you want a similar experience, they will not own up to their lack of detail and experience, see below text between myself and david:

So I got my car tuned last night. Overall experience was not so great. First of all, david's dyno was not working so he had to dyno my car at at Power Pros in Orange. David told me to drop off my car at his shop and he would drive it to get dynod and i would pick up my tuned car. Who does that?? i wanted to be present and expressed this to him so he agreed to meet me there. he showed up in a customer car...

Getting started, he asked me if i set base timing, i said yes 16*. I was very suprised that he went on with the tune without double checking the timing. In a hurry much?

Mid tune, he thought my clutch was slipping. Told me he was done, nothing we could do. We let it cool down, and gave it another run. Then he said he felt like the spark was blowing out, so we gapped them down to .020. made another run, and made more power no slip. So it wasn’t my clutch. Then I asked him if he was doing the fuel first, then timing. He said no, I already set timing to where i like it. This is a rediculous comment as every motor likes different timing. BASIC knowledge, or so i thought. he never did touch the timing values, as you will see below.

After a while, the owner of power pros came out and asked about the AFR, abnd david said that the wideband was reading differently than hondata. he was going off hondata AFR which was showing leaner than my wideband. He was showing 11.2-11.5 WOT on s300, and my wide band was 10.2 or so. WTF. I brought this up and told him that my gauge is going to be more accurate, and him and the other guy their said that the gauges go out all the time and he would rather err on the side of caution.. makes no sense as its pulling the dam AFR from that same sensor.

The other guy kept bashing on my turbo because it was "so small". he kept telling me that the turbo is backing up and it needs a bigger turbine wheel. He said if i had a gt30 it would spool way faster and make more power. we got into this debate about twin scroll, and he said it doesnt help with spool like i think, it only helps with top end. lol do you know anything? not impressed.

This was some issues, amongst others...

Can you guys take a look at this tune? When I left, I got on it and it seems extremely laggy. I don’t feel it really START going until 4500 which doesnt feel right for my evo 8 turbo and properly divided manifold, and he set my rev limiter to 7k??. So, after 1 pull, I decided to put on my det can and take a listen, very heavy detonation!

HELP

set up:

d16z6
vitara/custom length rods
stock head
evo 8 turbo
600cc injectors

tuned to 23lbs...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/u4ce9wfqs6...p_251trq.skl?m

thanks guys
Attached Images     

Last edited by mitsuman; 09-12-2013 at 10:28 AM.
Old 09-11-2013, 08:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wouldn't have paid a dime. Check your plugs after a pull. Lean it out till you get #s you like on the afr... Check plugs... Good luck
Old 09-11-2013, 08:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Need Someone With Some Tuning Knowledge - Not Happy With My $340 Tune

Single cams don't like/need all that timing. 19 degrees everywhere LoL!
Old 09-11-2013, 09:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Need Someone With Some Tuning Knowledge - Not Happy With My $340 Tune

wow. that timing map is sad.
Old 09-11-2013, 09:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

There has got to be good reputable tuners in Ca. I drove all the way across Texas to get to T1. The tune is everything.
Old 09-11-2013, 09:46 AM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Why did you go to these people?
Old 09-11-2013, 09:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Wow 19 degrees as soon as it makes boost low and high cam. Wow what a "tune". How about you take pics of the plugs and let us see them. What kind of fuel are you on?
Old 09-11-2013, 09:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Take it to Church Automotive, talk to Daniel or Shawn.
Old 09-11-2013, 10:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

What a joke
Old 09-11-2013, 10:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Well, there is an old saying.... you get what you pay for.

Sorry to see someone take advantage of you.
Old 09-11-2013, 10:36 AM
Man U FTW

Put a Stop Payment on your credit card...unless you didnt pay with a card.

Ive been in this situation and it sucks
Old 09-11-2013, 11:03 AM
Moderator in Chief

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

He said "The more timing the more detonating"
Umm... he put 19 for every rpm row, every boost column.
Ask him why there is no progressive timing ramp? Why isnt the transition smooth? How does it he know 19* is ideal for both 3550rpm @ 0.4psi and 8950rpm @ 21.7psi?
That ignition map is a joke. What a lazy pos tuner.
Old 09-11-2013, 11:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by grumblemarc
Why did you go to these people?
they had really good reviews online and on yelp. apaprently these guys probably had no idea what went on. he tried to tell me to drop my car off and he would have it tuned for me the next day. wtf? i told him i wanted to be there.

Originally Posted by lsturbo33
Wow 19 degrees as soon as it makes boost low and high cam. Wow what a "tune". How about you take pics of the plugs and let us see them. What kind of fuel are you on?
i will do this tonight. im on 91.

Originally Posted by Spunkster
Take it to Church Automotive, talk to Daniel or Shawn.
i cant afford it right now. but i will try and contact them.

Originally Posted by Schister66
Put a Stop Payment on your credit card...unless you didnt pay with a card.

Ive been in this situation and it sucks
i wish man. i paid cash. live and learn.
Old 09-11-2013, 11:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Can a mod change the title to this thread to "Import Auto Pros Tuning Review"
Old 09-11-2013, 11:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

not to mention this guy tried to tell me to drop off my car, and he would DRIVE it to get tuned and to pick it up the next day. lol what the **** is that?!

he drove a customer car to the dyno because his dyno is down....

i told him i wanted to be present. i would have never known how shitty this tune would have been if i wasnt present and didnt know at leat a little bit of what i was talking about.

Last edited by mitsuman; 09-11-2013 at 11:41 AM.
Old 09-11-2013, 02:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Import Auto Pros Tuning Review

OP, I feel for you.

But you need to get your car tuned correctly. Bisi or CAT would be the places I would go. As for now, I would park the car until I got it done correctly.
Old 09-11-2013, 02:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by mar778c
OP, I feel for you.

But you need to get your car tuned correctly. Bisi or CAT would be the places I would go. As for now, I would park the car until I got it done correctly.
thanks. car is parked, i only made 1 pull on it on the way home. Thankfully. Could have cost me a motor. Looking for a tuner right now. if someone wants to step up and show these people how its done, please contact me.
Old 09-11-2013, 04:26 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The evo8 turbine is a restriction

On evos using the stock turbo at high boost power starts dropping off a cliff at 5500 and only gets worse at redline. Now I don't see it being an issue on a sohc as the head flows much less and the volumetric flow and efficiency simply isn't there, on a b series it's another issue but b16s and 18s are making 320+whp on a stock evo 8/9 turbo with stock motors. But when b series turn up the boost to 20-25psi power falls off in the upper rpm range due to the td05hr turbine being too small.

A common turbine upgrade is a td06sl2r turbine wheel in the stock, remachined 10.5 turbine housing. It has a 5mm larger inducer and exducer than the td05h and is 11 bladed vs 12 for the td05. This means thelarger td06 wheel weighs little more than stock and you don't see a huge difference in response. This turbine wheel is a great match for 20g compressor sides, some try it with 25g wheels but you have the same issue with the turbine wheel becoming a restriction at higher power levels. There's another larger td06 based wheel with some wacky designation I can never remember that people prefer for the 25g

I'll be using an evo8/9 based turbo on my road course/dd ls/vtec build with the sl2 turbine and a custom billet extended tip 20g wheel (stock motor evos are making over 600awhp with this combo)
Old 09-11-2013, 08:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Import Auto Pros Tuning Review - Bad Experience

Unless something's missing, I didn't see any attitude.
**** yourself? Really?
I'd be mulling 24/7 how to **** that bitch.

Cash...that's difficult.
Be glad it was a cheap date i guess.
Old 09-11-2013, 09:01 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

For starters making posts like this in various forums will alert the masses to their poor tuning practices as well as their shoddy business practices

Report them to the better business bureau

I agree as well. I didn't see any attitude in your messages, he was just showing his true colors being a ****

Also call the local police department/sheriff's office and see if you have any legal recourse. Your messages back and forth prove he failed to provide the desired result for payment for services rendered
Also the other guy at the shop is a witness to what he did so that will be a big help as well

It pisses me off when these people that run "shops" are simply in it for the money with no care or concern about the quality of the services they provide

I'd also plaster this on Facebook and on their business page if they have one. Hell make ads in your local craigslist telling people to avoid him like a fat stripper with 3 kids, herpes, hepatitis c and some other gnarly std lol
Old 09-12-2013, 09:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Man sucks their are some good tuners in cal . But alot of shitty one
Old 09-12-2013, 10:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

haha muckman, not bad ideas.

David text me last night advising that if i wanted my money i could get it today...

Should be picking it up around 5:30 from his shop. we'll see how it goes.
Old 09-12-2013, 10:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

full refund received via paypal.
Old 09-12-2013, 10:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

well thats nice of them, what was the stipulation you have to take this down ?

I dont think i've ever seen a map that bad for timing. Hell back in the day when i first started tuning i made wayyyyyyy better maps than that.
Old 09-12-2013, 10:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Turbo-LS
well thats nice of them, what was the stipulation you have to take this down ?
yup. well he made the request after the refund.

Quick Reply: Import Auto Pros Dyno Tuning Review - Bad Experience