Notices

I'm ready to start buying parts for my junkyard turbo setup...advice welcome.

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2003, 06:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: Destroying turbo ITR motors in Minneapolis, MN, U.S.A.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm ready to start buying parts for my junkyard turbo setup...advice welcome.

Okay, I've got about $500 to spend to start my project. I'm looking to run this setup:
T25 out of a 2G DSM
1G DSM BOV
1G DSM SMIC
JC Whitney charge piping
custom downpipe
Tinker219's a/c compatible manifold
Vortech FMU
missing link
Apexi VAFC
Walbro 255lph pump
Auto meter boost gauge (duh)

Ok, so I've got my general list of parts. I'm going to pick up the turbo, intercooler, BOV and manifold first. My questions are:
1. what should I look for in a used turbo? What parts should be included?
2. can I get a downpipe made before I start installing the turbo setup? or does it have to be mounted on the engine first?
3. What do you guys think of Tinker219's manifold? Is it good quality? can I retain A/C with a T25 and his manifold?
4. I have no clue where to start on the issue of cooling, both oil and water lines I mean. Is there a kit I can buy for both the feed line and return line? What's a good link to figure out the best oil/water cooling setup?

I have other questions, but I'll wait on your responses before I go buy the turbo and other parts. Thanks in advance!
Old 04-23-2003, 06:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: I'm ready to start buying parts for my junkyard turbo setup...advice welcome. (fnananon)

Don't forget injectors, if you got everything else from a DSM go back and pull the injector too!! Need at least 350cc or more.

You need the manifold and turbo before you can get downpipe made, just take them to muffler shop, bolt on in parking lot, then they can make the dp. Take that all off and put original manifold back on and drive home. You could hook all turbo components up and drive to the muffler shop without a downpipe but damns its loud, like very loud weedwhacker. Depends on where you live, laws etc.. I live in Orlando Florida and like there are no emission rules, inspections etc.. I see people driving without hoods, broken windshields everday!!

Dont know about the tinker manifold.

FOr oil and water lines, I think his name is flamenco-t on this board(real name Stan his email is ex_jesuit@yahoo.com. I bought oil feed and return lines from him last week, I've seen many many good threads about this guy. I should be getting the lines today/tomorrow. He included all fittings I needed and then some, including the part you need to weld to oil pan. Not too bad pricing either.

For the water lines, he maybe able to help you out too. I haven't looked into these yet but I will be soon also. Some people will say you don't need the water lines, and you really don't but I would use them for heat dissapation and turbo longevity.
Old 04-23-2003, 06:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: I'm ready to start buying parts for my junkyard turbo setup...advice welcome. (mike1114)

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=268110

Make this link your bestest friend, it'll tell you more than you want to know about EVERYTHING turbo related.
Old 04-23-2003, 11:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: I'm ready to start buying parts for my junkyard turbo setup...advice welcome. (mike1114)

Thanks! Any other advice?
Old 04-23-2003, 11:24 AM

Default Re: I'm ready to start buying parts for my junkyard turbo setup...advice welcome. (fnananon)

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=484328 here's a thread that is right next to yours
Old 04-24-2003, 05:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

bump