Notices

I'm interesting in seeing how many of you have had issues with MSD ignitions...

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2005, 10:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default I'm interesting in seeing how many of you have had issues with MSD ignitions...

Just a simple poll to see how many people have had problems with MSD ignition boxes. I know a lot of people on here own/run MSD boxes, and a recent thread clearly demonstrated how unreliable these systems are. I thought a simple poll could visualize the problems.

Thanks for the responses!
Old 04-27-2005, 04:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: I'm interesting in seeing how many of you have had issues with MSD ignitions... (Bryson)

I attempted something similar awhile ago.

I agree though - the trend around here shows 'unreliable' in the long run.
Old 04-27-2005, 07:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: I'm interesting in seeing how many of you have had issues with MSD ignitions... (Bryson)

I have a good friend who had one for a few years with no issues (I'll reply for him since he doesn't like posting)... converted it to run the ignitor bypass, it was a pretty good system for him. Then one day the car died, couldn't get it going again until he removed the MSD - the box died. All in all not a bad little system but reliability in the long run is suspect.
Old 04-27-2005, 07:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I took my msd out to sell it to get a C2DI. I went back to stock, and while I didn't notice any problems in the top end, the car didn't seem to idle as well.

NASCAR teams use them but they have 2 in the car with a switch in case one of them burns out in a race.

steve
Old 04-27-2005, 08:09 AM

Default Re: I'm interesting in seeing how many of you have had issues with MSD ignitions... (salt)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by salt &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
NASCAR teams use them but they have 2 in the car with a switch in case one of them burns out in a race.</TD></TR></TABLE>
no kidding, I did not know that. I run the sci-l, havent had any problems with it in say the 8 monthes I've had it so far, maybe im overdue...hope not
Old 04-27-2005, 10:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It's not looking good so far. 60% VS 40%.

Old 04-27-2005, 10:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Bryson)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Bryson &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">It's not looking good so far. 60% VS 40%.</TD></TR></TABLE>

But for how many miles have they been used for?
Old 04-27-2005, 10:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (EE_Chris)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EE_Chris &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

But for how many miles have they been used for?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thats a good question.
Old 04-27-2005, 01:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

They last a while. I think the one on our drag car (68 Cuda using a MSD 6AL) lasted 4 years or so? The one on my dad's belvedere lasted like 5 years. I know MSD will rebuild the box when it finally goes but i can't remember what it costs. I think the last one cost us like $70.

Overall, good product but they will eventually go out. I don't know if anyone makes a better ignition really...
Old 04-27-2005, 01:29 PM

I have the MSD 6al for about 3 years now and I haven't had any problems with it but that's in a NA setup. My buddies were using the MSD BTM and they were having misfiring problems. They took off the MSD and it ran fine.
Old 04-27-2005, 01:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (njn63)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by njn63 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">They last a while. I think the one on our drag car (68 Cuda using a MSD 6AL) lasted 4 years or so? The one on my dad's belvedere lasted like 5 years. I know MSD will rebuild the box when it finally goes but i can't remember what it costs. I think the last one cost us like $70.

Overall, good product but they will eventually go out. I don't know if anyone makes a better ignition really...</TD></TR></TABLE>

M&W apparently makes a flawless box according to several on here.
Old 04-27-2005, 01:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i have had mine for about 2 years now, no problems so far, i use it for the 2step, MSD6aL. i have mine ounted inside the car and not in the engine bay for moisture and heat problems.

i have also noticed on a few different years of GM trucks they have an MSD box on them but it is painted blue i think, or black but it comes on there factory????? hmmmmm

also i have heard of people losing HP from adding an MSD set up, my friend did in fact lose 11hp on the top end with his digital 7 set up, but he loves the launch limiter so he wont ditch it.

any other loses in HP logged so far????
Old 04-27-2005, 02:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Bryson &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

M&W apparently makes a flawless box according to several on here. </TD></TR></TABLE>

haha, either it's really expensive or they just havn't sold enough. All electronics fail, especially when you subject them to the type of punishment they'll get in a car.
Old 04-27-2005, 08:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by njn63 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

haha, either it's really expensive or they just havn't sold enough. All electronics fail, especially when you subject them to the type of punishment they'll get in a car.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I think it's a little of both .

BUMP for more votes.

Old 04-28-2005, 04:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Old 04-28-2005, 04:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (tony1)

i had the msd sci box with the blaster 2 coil and msd plug wires.. it would misfire and i would go through caps and rotors every couple months.. and when the cap is 40 bucks it gets to be alot.. i even called msd and told them the exact way i had it hooked up with what gauge wire and where the wire goes , everything and they still said it was my fault and would not help me out.. **** them..

now im back to a full stock ignition setup and it runs awesome..
Old 04-28-2005, 10:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (tony1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tony1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> </TD></TR></TABLE>

Haha...I know how you feel.

Too bad I can't have the poll.

It was still about 65% (no issues) VS 35% (issues) when it was took down. I hope to god MSD knows about this. I can only hope I can get 1 season out of my digital 6 setup.
Old 04-28-2005, 11:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

msd-sci 1.6 years and counting no problems.Thats great considering it was already installed when i got the car so you can add more to 18 months!
Old 04-29-2005, 12:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I had an MSD 6AL with HVC coil for 5 years... The MSD stuff had no problems at all. I even dropped the damn thing more than a coupe of times...lol

I only ditched it because I went with AEM, and it had major issues with it. Plus I realized that the stock ignition was plenty for my power goals anyway so I never bothered into running the MSD again.
Old 04-29-2005, 03:40 AM

Default Re: (Tony the Tiger)

I use the digital sci and I also have a 6al installed as a backup. No problems yet.
Old 04-29-2005, 05:13 PM

Default Re: (maxspeedhonda)

I've been using an MSD 6al for about 6 years now. No problems with it

Just loving it. Also have a BTM, 3step, Blaster SS. No probs here, love the backfires with the launch control.
Old 04-29-2005, 05:39 PM

mine kept burning up ignition componants.
Old 04-29-2005, 09:03 PM

I had a 6al on a mustang gt once. It lasted about a year before it gave out.
Old 04-29-2005, 09:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (96greenmachine)

I've had a msd 6AL and a digital SCI. they both suck. I was using the 6AL, i had bad misfires. I upgraged to the digital SCI, still had misfires and I was burning up coils. I sent the digital SCI to MSD and they said it was fine and they replaced all the coils I burned up. I reinstalled the box after it came back for msd and I still have misfiring problems. I sold both msd boxes and got a AEM C2DI with some motorcycle coil sticks. converted to a direct fire system. I've never had another misfiring problem again. MSD
Old 04-29-2005, 09:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

stock ignition @ 21 psi...

Quick Reply: I'm interesting in seeing how many of you have had issues with MSD ignitions...