Notices

Ignitor, or injectors...Which do you guys think is the culprit?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2002, 08:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ignitor, or injectors...Which do you guys think is the culprit?

Since I have had the car I have been having this problem, and it seems to be getting worse now.

At idle I have a slight miss. Just like a little girgle every second or so. It's not bad, but noticable none the less. At holding revs at a constant RPM, it is still there. In 1st/2nd and now some of 3rd/4th I am getting bad jerking/hesitation when just cruising/partial throttle. It's like it tries to go, but gets spurts of gas/spark. It doesn't seem to do it much in 5th...yet.

I have done the following to correct it, but haven't had any success:

New Plugs (NGK BKR6E-11's) @ Turbo install
MSD 6a w/ modded cap & Accel external coil
New Fuel filter
New rotor

Does it sound like the injectors are somewhat clogged, or the ignitor is or going ?

I am going to be getting DSM 450cc's in the next couple of days, but I wanted to get this thing fixed (If it isn't the injectors) before I go AFC hack to make sure I'm running good...

jB
Old 09-11-2002, 09:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Ignitor, or injectors...Which do you guys think is the culprit? (PeloTudo AKA Gringo)

Put a new ignitor on a few mins ago...and no change.

Anyone have any other suggestions?

jB
Old 09-11-2002, 01:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Ignitor, or injectors...Which do you guys think is the culprit? (PeloTudo AKA Gringo)

Whats your fuel set up? Whats the spark plug gap youre running?

These both gave me problems when I went FI.
Old 09-11-2002, 01:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Ignitor, or injectors...Which do you guys think is the culprit? (niedejb)

Yeah, check the gap on those plugs.

You replaced the whole ICM ? Did you test it with a multimeter ?

What plug wires are you using ? Aftermarket ? If so, careful, aftermarket plugs , even good ones don't last like the stockers.
Old 09-11-2002, 06:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Ignitor, or injectors...Which do you guys think is the culprit? (X2BOARD)

Gap is set at .035, NGK BKR6E-11's. It was doing it b4 I changed the plugs and went FI though.

I replace the little ignitor that has the 4 plugs on it. Cost about $60 (Work at a parts store, normally like $90).. Didn't test it though.

Plug wires are like 7mm, stock replacements.

Here's a bit of info too that I found interesting. When I am slowly accelerating it jumps and doesn't want to go. The a/f guages dies (Goes DEEP in lean and disappears like it does when I totally let off the gas). As it sputters it will pop up in to the lean area a little bit, and if I got WOT it will jump in the green. It seems like:

a. The fuel pump is getting ready to crap out on me
b. The injectors are clogged to FK. When I go partial throttle they're splurting everywhere, and when I go WOT they just open the hell all the way up and let everything in.

Anyone?

jB
Old 09-11-2002, 06:42 PM

Test to see if it's your injectors. Take your injectors out and spray some brake cleaner into them. Then put them back in and test it out. This won't clean out your injectors 100% but it will do something.

If that doesn't work then take a node and plug it up to one of the injector harnesses and crank the car to see if the injector is getting a signal from the ecu. The node should blink on and blink off. If the node doesn't blink at all then the signal isn't reaching the injector.

Next thing to check is the fuel filter, if you have an aeromotive fuel filter. If you dont have an aeromotive fuel filter then nevermind. If the fuel filter is clogged up it make cause a slight hestation at idle.

Next thing to try is the pump. Swap that sucker out with another one, borrow one from a friend and see if that helps.
Old 09-11-2002, 06:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Ignitor, or injectors...Which do you guys think is the culprit? (ekb18c)

Thanks. I'll try that tomorrow and see if anything helps. I am doing 450cc/SAFC in about a week, and didn't want to have to buy new/used injectors now just to see if this was it and then dump them for the 450cc's when I can finally get around to buying everything.

I just swapped the fuel filter about 2 weeks ago, that was my first attack point and it didn't do anything. So looks like the injectors are next.

Thanks,

jB