Notices

If your tuner blows your motor, who picks up the bill?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2003, 02:35 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default If your tuner blows your motor, who picks up the bill?

Just kinda wondering here. If you're on the dyno and you are having your car tuned and the motor lets go who pays for it? From the tuners perspective, he could say something failed and he could be right. From your perspective, you could say all was fine before the session. Do tuners have you sign a waiver so that you can't sue them. Do you take them to court to get your money? Are some guys good enough to admit their own mistakes and pick up the bill?
Old 10-05-2003, 02:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: If your tuner blows your motor, who picks up the bill? (danl)

Most tuners have you sign a waiver since your trying to put your motor as close to the limit without popping it.

Gotta Pay to Play!
Old 10-05-2003, 02:43 PM
Banned

Default Re: If your tuner blows your motor, who picks up the bill? (FMX)

Must be nice being able to tweak motors knowing if it goes you aren't responsible.
Old 10-05-2003, 03:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by danl &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Must be nice being able to tweak motors knowing if it goes you aren't responsible. </TD></TR></TABLE>

It is... But we don't try to break **** on purpose. I have taken plenty of cars off of the dyno because something was wrong. Even with the owner saying just keep going.

The waiver that we have the customer sign basically says that you are fucked if anything happens to your car during dyno pulls. It's about a page and a half long..
Old 10-05-2003, 03:32 PM

Default Re: If your tuner blows your motor, who picks up the bill? (matt_sb2000)

I've dynoed 3 times and that topic never came up. I was alway's under the assumption that it would be my responsibility if the motor blew.
Old 10-05-2003, 03:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: If your tuner blows your motor, who picks up the bill? (turbo Si)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turbo Si &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I've dynoed 3 times and that topic never came up. I was alway's under the assumption that it would be my responsibility if the motor blew.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Most people understand the risk, and assume that the shop holds no liability for the engine blowing up..

The waiver is just there to protect the shop, and employees.
Old 10-05-2003, 03:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

who's to say the motor was mechanically/electrically sound before the session? if you expect anyone other than yourself to pick up the bill if something goes wrong you're crazy. racing = breaking ****.
Banned

Default Re: If your tuner blows your motor, who picks up the bill? (matt_sb2000)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by matt_sb2000 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

It is... But we don't try to break **** on purpose. I have taken plenty of cars off of the dyno because something was wrong. Even with the owner saying just keep going.

The waiver that we have the customer sign basically says that you are fucked if anything happens to your car during dyno pulls. It's about a page and a half long..</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'm in no way insinuating (sp) that tuners blow motors up for fun . I pretty much assumed that it was not the tuners fault, just never had it clarified.

It was mine. The shop cracked my ringlands and as time progressed it got worse. The shop also fried my EMS because they didn't listen to me (thank god it was covered under warranty). It never ran right after leaving the shop and within two months it got really bad. I knew this was a major risk when they tuned it but there were future plans of a rebuild anyway.
Old 10-05-2003, 04:02 PM

Default Re: If your tuner blows your motor, who picks up the bill? (Mikeyslude)

I think if a certain tuner had a reputation for blowing motors, people would stop going to them. so ask around, and then chose a reputable tuner.

-PHiZ
Old 10-05-2003, 04:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: If your tuner blows your motor, who picks up the bill? (Mikeyslude)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by danl &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I'm in no way insinuating (sp) that tuners blow motors up for fun . I pretty much assumed that it was not the tuners fault, just never had it clarified. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I know. I was just answering your question.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mikeyslude &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">It was mine. The shop cracked my ringlands and as time progressed it got worse. The shop also fried my EMS because they didn't listen to me (thank god it was covered under warranty). It never ran right after leaving the shop and within two months it got really bad. I knew this was a major risk when they tuned it but there were future plans of a rebuild anyway.</TD></TR></TABLE>

How did they fry the ems?
Old 10-05-2003, 04:11 PM

I told them to install the resistor with the peak & hold injectors many times. they didn't install the resistor and it fried the EMS.
Old 10-05-2003, 04:13 PM
Banned

Default Re: If your tuner blows your motor, who picks up the bill? (PHiZ)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by PHiZ &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I think if a certain tuner had a reputation for blowing motors, people would stop going to them. so ask around, and then chose a reputable tuner.

-PHiZ</TD></TR></TABLE>

I tune my own car, so their is no pointing fingers (i'm not that kinda guy anyways). Not only that, but I expected my motor to blow a LONG time ago. Stock 13 year old block with 123,000 miles at 25 psi maxing out the knock sensor and the driver won't lift because he feels its a good pass LOL. I'm that guy I was setting up a MBC for my friends honda today. Went into boost, off the gauge LOL (25 plus psi). We both laughed about it. Got it set low enough so it wouldn't over boost my friends honda.
Old 10-05-2003, 04:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Mikeyslude)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mikeyslude &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I told them to install the resistor with the peak & hold injectors many times. they didn't install the resistor and it fried the EMS.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Ohh man, that's fucked up.

I'm sure that you don't need to be told this, but don't be afraid to put your foot down when you are dealing with a shop. You may have been able to prevent that from happening.
Old 10-05-2003, 04:20 PM

Secret Services, the shop it's at now is very good and I've seen their work.

The previous shop is notorious for breaking and blowing up Hondas. the Hondas which are broken and blown up end up at Secret Services. much of SS business comes from this shop.
Old 10-05-2003, 04:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Cool that you found a better place to have your stuff done.

Where I live there is a shop like that. They **** up alot of cars, and bring them to the other shop.
Old 10-05-2003, 06:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ahhhhh ... I know the shop you speak of. They are the reason one of my friend's had to rebuild but without the rebuild he wouldn't be making the numbers he is now (also thanks to Secret Services).