Notices

If you were to Supercharge? Brand & Why?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2013, 04:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default If you were to Supercharge? Brand & Why?

I have stated time and time again that I have no CLUE in the what I am doing with Honda in General. Thankfully a good friend of mine who just opened his shop does lol. I have read over some build threads with superchargers and he is looking to find a good SC vendor. I was just looking to see what the masses who were to SC or are already SC'd would go with and why?

Thank you again as usual! Yes I did search before posting this This just seemed to be the easiest way to almost start a poll like post and reach to a broader group of people. Thank you again everyone!
Old 01-20-2013, 06:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: If you were to Supercharge? Brand & Why?

Forgot to mention For B series motors.
Old 01-20-2013, 06:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

https://honda-tech.com/forums/showth...997913&page=65
Old 01-20-2013, 07:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

wouldnt bother. modern technology turbos spool quyickly and give pretty quick responce when properly sized and will produce more power per pound of boost than the SC which takes power to spin the SC. then you have belt slipping issues and heat problems. Just isnt worth it in my eyes. OPthers will argue there they best thing in the world. I've driven sc integras and was not impressed at all.
Old 01-20-2013, 07:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I drove a SC'd s2k and Turbo s2k. Both cars owned by the same person. The SC'd s2k was by far more fun to drive.... But we aren't talking about an s2k. Just like you said I have been reading what I can before I posted this and that seems to be the majority saying turbos in all reality are best bang for the buck and will out perform / dollar spent. I have not driven a SC'd B series but I was lucky enough to get in a Turbo SI on 20lbs (I think) with 4 of us in the car we raced a 600cc RR and pulled him like it was nothing. Sadly the motor seized on the SI because of some oil issues. None the less thanks for the input. Was really curious to hear some answers of people with actual experience with them on B series motors.
Old 01-20-2013, 07:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

First SC b series i drove was a GSR with low miles healthy motor. had upgraded pulley for more boost no aftercooler. after two pulls through the gears intake temps were through the roof and the car was a dog. it wasnt all that quick to begin with. it was running 10-11 psi and after a couple more pulls the belt just kept slipping and boost dropped down to 6 psi. Lame IMO.

Aftercoolers work to an extent but still intake temps will rise. IMO if going to SC then get one like a vortech that isnt a roots style so it can be blwon through a front mount intercooler.
Old 01-20-2013, 07:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ya I have read alot about heating issues etc. Realistically turbo just seems to be the better option period after everything I have read. All the youtube vids. SC's just seem so sub par for the price points etc.
Old 01-20-2013, 11:44 AM
Who is Mr Robot?

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I wouldn't bother... for b series you're looking at a JRSC, a procharger (if you can find them) or a magnacharger kit....

all produce low/poor hp numbers and torque figures.

Even the most basic of turbo hondas would rape a jrsc car

there was a comparison post on here ages ago about an sc vs turbo test....

test used a stock gsr and stock jrsc kit against a stock drag turbo kit

from idle to 3k to jrsc made decent power, after 3k the turbo took off and never looked back
Old 01-20-2013, 01:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the majority of people's experiences with s/c'd honda are on pump gas. With e85 becoming much more prevalent, much more could be had. I've seen 250+ degree intake temps on a 4cyl I was testing with a non-ic'd turbo set-up on 14psi. zero problems on the 200k+ engine with a crappier combustion chamber than almost anything honda.
I'd love to do a 12:1 comp b18 with a jrsc on 14+psi with a little shot of nitrous to help cool the iat's. cam lsa will be key
Old 01-20-2013, 01:11 PM
DO IT ON ALL FOURS

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Supercharged Honda's are the biggest waste of time.

Your comparasion of the two S2000's means absolutely NOTHING unless full specifications are given about each setup.

Just think about this for 2 seconds...

Supercharger = Takes Power to Make Power.

Honda's don't have crap for power to begin with so why waste it?

A turbo will always work with what you have, all you have to do is pick the correct one. Supercharger builds have to be built with every detail in mind. They are much more picky and a LOT more modifications.
Old 01-20-2013, 01:16 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

I actually would use a supercharger, but only for the purpose of short course circuit racing. Similar to the K20 Eaton charged "Hasport" CRX that does very good work on the road course.

But if I had a supercharger on a street car, it would have a V8 in it... Even then, I'd keep it factory.
Old 01-20-2013, 01:26 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

Originally Posted by Boost4Breakfast
the majority of people's experiences with s/c'd honda are on pump gas. With e85 becoming much more prevalent, much more could be had. I've seen 250+ degree intake temps on a 4cyl I was testing with a non-ic'd turbo set-up on 14psi. zero problems on the 200k+ engine with a crappier combustion chamber than almost anything honda.
I'd love to do a 12:1 comp b18 with a jrsc on 14+psi with a little shot of nitrous to help cool the iat's. cam lsa will be key
you'll never get a jrsc to 14psi, no combination of pullies could get you there.... and even if you could get there you'd have problems with belt slippage... and at 14psi you're literally just turning it into a heat pump as you are so far outside of the blowers operating capacity and efficiency

the only supercharger I would ever consider would be a rotrex, thats about it.
Old 01-20-2013, 01:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Which supercharger? None they are all garbage in my eyes put a small turbo on it
Old 01-20-2013, 01:34 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

a properly setup rotrex unit can make gobs of power and be super responsive, they are used alot on k series builds and make stupid power

but every other one? nope....I could walk the typical jrsc car with a d16 using a straight t3 60 trim, or a well built na b series, or even a small turbo b series using somethign like a gt2860
Old 01-20-2013, 05:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Most of the experience in the Honda scene is with the very small MP45 or the decent MP62. The MP62 is only capable of about 220-240 with no intercooling. Maybe around 260 with normal intercooling.

But what we have found in the Lotus segment that the TVS1320 is very well sized for a 1.8L engine and since its specifically designed to go into the double digit boost range it can easily make 300HP, and some have gone to 350+. A TVS could probably 250-260 with no intercooling thats to its improved thermal effeciency.

I also could not tell any partial throttle difference between the MP62 and the TVS1320 despite the 1320 being quite a bit larger.

The Chevy Cobalt guys are also seeing over 300HP on TVS1320. Its a great modern supercharger and the "drag" is very low.
Old 01-20-2013, 05:36 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

if i were to do it on a budget, i'd flip the drive gears on either an m92 or m112 and mount it in the ac compressor location... people do it all the time on hondas.... and it allows you to run the charger outlet straight to a FMIC... not to mention its easier to install and work on as you don't have to contort to get behind the motor. and you can make a custom pulley bracket as well that ensures maximum belt wrap.

its not a bolt on kit but with a little creativity and some fabrication you've got a decent, cheap supercharger setup
Old 01-20-2013, 06:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by N3va3vaSatisfi3d
Supercharged Honda's are the biggest waste of time.

Your comparasion of the two S2000's means absolutely NOTHING unless full specifications are given about each setup.

Just think about this for 2 seconds...

Supercharger = Takes Power to Make Power.

Honda's don't have crap for power to begin with so why waste it?

A turbo will always work with what you have, all you have to do is pick the correct one. Supercharger builds have to be built with every detail in mind. They are much more picky and a LOT more modifications.
I was not trying to prove a point or even say that going SC was THE WAY TO GO! lol, I see your quite passionate about all of this. I am not going to hunt down exact specs as it does not matter at all being that the thread is about B series SC's. (Like mentioned above in the very same post you are saying my comparisons means nothing, Your response and focus on that section of the thread means nothing.)

Your turbo input is appreciated and you make some Valid points. Perhaps that was my mistake for putting fact out there that all of us enjoyed the SC'd s2k alot more but (that was an s2k not a B series.)
Old 01-20-2013, 10:14 PM
R.I.P. Mark

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

when you make a thread about anything to do with a Supercharger
its always going to get beat up buy the Turbo devotes and most
dont realy have hands on knowledge at all

you can make good power with a B series
you can run high boost without high temps
you can run 14psi reliably ...
I DO @ only 10c above ambient on 40c+ days

oh well ......... what would i know

and here comes the flaming VVVV
Old 01-20-2013, 10:19 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

you'll never break 300 with a jrsc, its that simple....and for the money involved, makes it not worth the effort, especially when the average setup will make more power from 3,000 to redline over a jrsc car
Old 01-21-2013, 04:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by wantboost
you'll never break 300 with a jrsc, its that simple....
B-Series, maybe.

K-Series will do it easily.
Old 01-21-2013, 05:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

FUnny when people state 300hp out of a S/C like thats a bunch of power. It can be done easier with a small turbo thats super responsive and wont rob power to make power. Going larger on the blower it self will start to have the same effect as a turbo boost rises with rpm so id starts to become pointless to have a s/c and turbo will outperfom for less money. Like Mac stated if i were to S/C a street car it would be a v8 where it would actually do something
Old 01-21-2013, 07:29 AM
DO IT ON ALL FOURS

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by D-Rob
B-Series, maybe.

K-Series will do it easily.
The thread was started specificly for B-series. Who gives a rip about K?
Old 01-21-2013, 09:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 794 Likes on 734 Posts

One detail that seems to be missing from this discussion is the level of technology available at this time. For "B" series, the JRSC kit is the finest production piece available to date, yet it uses very old blower technology when compared to what is available now for other applications. Many here who are suggesting that a turbo kit is better hands down aren't using a 1988 IHI internally gated turbo either... they are utilizing new technology products... and turbocharging has made huge leaps in efficiency in the last five or six years.

The advantage of supercharger power is a very linear delivery of HP/Torque. Turbocharging is a Jekyl/Hyde affair: when the turbo begins spooling, and starts bringing the power, you get a non-linear transition of power. This tends to cause traction issues, especially on street-driven radial tired FWD vehicles.

There are Rotrex based kits being created by multiple vendors at this time that will level the playing field a bit more... and then this discussion will get really good. I have personally witnessed a prototype Rotrex based kit on a stock GSR, at 10psi, make 341 wheel HP. There is a good chance that these kits will be available by the summer of next year... maybe sooner. Time will tell.
Old 01-21-2013, 10:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by N3va3vaSatisfi3d
The thread was started specificly for B-series. Who gives a rip about K?
People that like to make power easier on their stock-engine street Honda's.
Old 01-25-2013, 11:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Stay tuned.....Kraftwerks will be releasing their Rotrex based Race kit for the B-Series very soon. Unfortunately, it will not be smog-legal for those looking for that....

Just got word that they are releasing the Race kit in March of this year. Also, it's a long shot for a smog legal kit, but don't hold your breath.

Last edited by jed1717; 01-25-2013 at 12:11 PM. Reason: Adding info.

Quick Reply: If you were to Supercharge? Brand & Why?