Notices

Ideal B-Series Turbo Gear Ratio?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2003, 02:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ideal B-Series Turbo Gear Ratio?

Well fellas after a lot of reading and even more questioning, I would like to ask anyone what(in your own opinion & why) would be the ideal gear ratio for a turbocharged Honda. To keep this specific and so that everyone doesn't get confused how about you post which Tranny you would use or modify and why. Also do not forget to include gear ratio numbers. For instance do not say I would make 3rd or 4th gear longer or I'd make 1st and 2nd shorter. Use a numerical number if you have one in mind. Remember to give a numerical number for each gear you would modify or keep the same. The reason for this is I've looked at some of the turbocharged cars such as the New Dodge SRT-4 and seen it has a FDR of like 3.something. THOSE ARE SOME LONG *** GEARS, in spite of the car redlining at like 6,500. The same goes for DSM's and Supras.
So in conclusion I'm looking for people with knowledgeable experience on this to respond, but not to offend no one but I wanna be one of the best therefore I(we) must learn from the best. Once again not to offend no one cause everyone is open to respond. Thank you.
Old 02-12-2003, 04:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Ideal B-Series Turbo Gear Ratio? (Project_SOHC_EX)

So in conclusion I'm looking for people with knowledgeable experience on this to respond, but not to offend no one but I wanna be one of the best therefore I(we) must learn from the best. Once again not to offend no one cause everyone is open to respond. Thank you.
I hear your thirst for knowledge but.. everyone always wants to be the best!
what(in your own opinion & why) would be the ideal gear ratio for a turbocharged Honda.
There are hundreds of different setups.. with different displacement & geometry that can also produce different output curves because of the turbo & turbine selection. Another thing to consider are the kind of slicks to run at the track, since slick expansion will create a progressively tall gear. So narrow it down. There is no one set of gear ratios that are ideal for a turbocharged Honda. It is that complicated. If you want to be the best, try not to have your mind set on power goals because most come out on top because of choosing the correct ratios for their whole setup.
Old 02-12-2003, 05:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Ideal B-Series Turbo Gear Ratio? (Quick 200k Mile Motor)

I think it depends on what the car is beeing used for, drag, road race, etc.

With what little knowlege I have, I'm gonna say the overall best gears are about half way between ITR and LS gears. Not too long, not too short.