Notices

an idea I have, using duct work heat tape on charge pipes..

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2004, 11:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default an idea I have, using duct work heat tape on charge pipes..

I was in a friends truck the other day who is a hvac installer.. I saw a roll of alumium sided tape that he said that they use on duct work when its near a heat source to block heat from entering the duct work..

What about putting this stuff on the charge pipes that are near the turbo and other heat sources.. Hes anyone tried this or have an comments about it..
Old 06-30-2004, 11:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: an idea I have, using duct work heat tape on charge pipes.. (tgreaves)

sounds like a great idea

on my 14B the outlet off the turbo is veryyyyy close to the manifold (1/4 in)

i would love some of that
Old 06-30-2004, 11:10 AM

Default Re: an idea I have, using duct work heat tape on charge pipes.. (USDM 4G VTEC)

I know what im doing tonight..

My charges pipes that are right near the turbo are very hot, almost too hot to touch.. Im gonna get some of this stuff from my friend and ill let you know how much it changes the intake temps..
Old 06-30-2004, 11:16 AM

Default Re: an idea I have, using duct work heat tape on charge pipes.. (tgreaves)

I'm not sure how well the aluminum tape is going to work for you. It's made for construction use, like maybe 130 degrees. I don't think the adhesive is going to hold up well to the heat of the engine, as in it might melt or give off fumes. You can try it out though.
Old 06-30-2004, 11:30 AM

Default Re: an idea I have, using duct work heat tape on charge pipes.. (Honda Hick)

Hmm.. Have to look at the roll to see what the operational heat range is of it..
Old 06-30-2004, 11:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Its better to have the charge piping uncovered, and/or unpainted.

If you cover up the charge piping, all your doing is traping radiant heat inside. The covering will not keep the heat from penetrating, but it will keep it from escaping (just like wearing a jacket).

This is why aluminum charge piping is best, because it will radiate the most heat.
Old 06-30-2004, 12:33 PM

Default Re: (Bryson)

Hmm.. Interesting.. Never though of that.. Maybe a better idea then would be to build an aluminium shield around the charge pipe so that heat would be rejected from it but the pipe could still radiate heat from inside..
Old 06-30-2004, 01:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (tgreaves)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tgreaves &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Hmm.. Interesting.. Never though of that.. Maybe a better idea then would be to build an aluminium shield around the charge pipe so that heat would be rejected from it but the pipe could still radiate heat from inside..</TD></TR></TABLE>

That exactly it.

Just like the factory heatsheilds... the best thing to have is a space between the piping (or whatever your trying to protect) and the heatsheild. This way the shield ends up absorbing most of the heat, and radiates it before it can get to the piping.
Old 06-30-2004, 01:12 PM

Default Re: (Bryson)

Hmm.. Ill have to think about how I can build a "heatshield" for my chargepipes.. Doesnt seem that hard but still requires some though so it doesnt look like total ****..
Old 06-30-2004, 01:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I don't know if you have enough room to do this...but the easiest way to go about doing soemthing like that, is get some tubing (aluminum is prefered of course) that is bit larger than your IC piping, and cut the tube in half down the center. Then attach half of the tube to the pipe with a braket of some sorts.

Just something to think about...