Notices

IC piping and Traction Bar fitment Questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2005, 04:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IC piping and Traction Bar fitment Questions

Hello,

I am currently 95% finished with my turbo d16z6 project. The last part I need for this project to be finished is Intercooler and IC piping. The only problem is this, I want to get a set of full race traction bars in the next few months. This project has been underway for a year now and I'm so anxious, I just want to get the car boosted. So I want to get a IC piping and intercooler which will clear the traction bars for sure. So far the research i've done I have 2 options

1. Clock the compressor housing so the outlet is facing up and run the intercooler piping down windshield fluid resevoir is. Only problem every car i've seen this done they don't have Power Steering. Sorry but this one luxory i can't be without. So can it be done with PS?

2. Backdoor intercooler. This seems to be the easiest solution. But every backdoor entry i've seen uses a ramhorn style mani. Has anyone done a Backdoor intercooler with a log mani?

I currently am going with a log style mani. With a driver side compressor. Hopefully when I get some time I will be able to bolt up my mani and turbo and get a idea of where everything is gonna be placed. But right now they are being sent out to get coated.

Any input?

Thanks
Ed
Old 01-21-2005, 05:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: IC piping and Traction Bar fitment Questions (eddyboy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by eddyboy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Hello,

1. Clock the compressor housing so the outlet is facing up and run the intercooler piping down windshield fluid resevoir is. Only problem every car i've seen this done they don't have Power Steering. Sorry but this one luxory i can't be without. So can it be done with PS?

2. Backdoor intercooler. This seems to be the easiest solution. But every backdoor entry i've seen uses a ramhorn style mani. Has anyone done a Backdoor intercooler with a log mani?

I currently am going with a log style mani. With a driver side compressor. Hopefully when I get some time I will be able to bolt up my mani and turbo and get a idea of where everything is gonna be placed. But right now they are being sent out to get coated.

Any input?

Thanks
Ed</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'm running a backdoor on my revhard manifold. You shouldn't have a problem doing that on your setup. I had to do this also, for my full-race traction bars would fit.
Old 01-21-2005, 06:32 PM

Default Re: IC piping and Traction Bar fitment Questions (sneakypete)

well i have a FR T4 Mani with FR Traction bars. i could have gone with the 2 options you mentioned but didn't. what i did was cut off about 2" off the compressor housing inlet and welded a 90 deg. elbow (this was also trimmed). this way the piping would run above the bars. it has about 3/4" clearance between the piping and bars. mind you that my turbo compressor was on the driver side.
Old 01-21-2005, 07:06 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sneakypete &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'm running a backdoor on my revhard manifold. You shouldn't have a problem doing that on your setup. I had to do this also, for my full-race traction bars would fit.</TD></TR></TABLE>

How did you order your backdoor intercooler? Did you take measurements then have someone make it for you? How did you get it to line up?

I ask this is cause I see plenty of backdoor intercoolers for sale but how will you know if it will line up correctly if not made to match your mani?

Thanks again for all the replies
Old 01-21-2005, 07:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's the process I did to make my backdoor intercooler.

1. Clock the compressor so that the outlet is facing the front of the car.
2. Then figure out where the backdoor needs to be on the intercooler. What I did to figure this out was get a piece of paper and make a round pipe out of it. Then figure out where the backdoor needs to go, and mark it with a black sharpie.
3. Then I went to my buddy who knows how to weld and I had him cut off the old outlet on the intercooler and patch it up with a small sheet of aluminum. Then use the piece that you cut off, to make the backdoor.
Old 01-28-2005, 07:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Do you guys have the compressor on the drivers side? Can you use a back door entry with an AC compatible manifold that puts the compressor on the passenger side?
Old 01-28-2005, 07:26 AM
DaX
Honda-Tech Member

Received 662 Likes on 524 Posts

Haha, this is going to suck for me. I run a welded sidewinder manifold with AC and 3" DP. I eventually want to get a set of FR traction bars....I'm going to have to get REALLY creative with that one. Sectioned bends, here I come.
Old 01-28-2005, 07:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I would buy the traction bar before you have anything fabbed up just to save money and time.... I know you want to feel boost ASAP but just buy the traction bar and the get the rest of the **** outta the way.
Old 01-28-2005, 11:08 AM

ed you shoudlnt have any probs runnin ic pping. considering its a log manifold. the turbos gonna sit pretty high. should have plenty of room.
Old 05-30-2007, 06:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: IC piping and Traction Bar fitment Questions (project dc2)

Mostly an FYI for people.

I'm trying to find a good solution for this right problem right now.

Full-Race ProStreet Traction Bars with a PeakBoost kit with a T3/T04E on a '92 Civic DX hatch with a B18C block.

My first option is to use a 90 deg transition coupler, but if that doesn't work, then I'll have to modify the compressor housing.