Notices

I went through a new trannsmission in ONE DAY! Can Honda trannies handle high HP?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2001, 06:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I went through a new trannsmission in ONE DAY! Can Honda trannies handle high HP?

Ok, somebody tell me what is wrong. I have a 2000 Type R, boosting around 350hp easy. That tranny stopped going into 5th and reverse. So I took it to Acura and they put all NEW internals in.

So now I got the car back and have had the car for ONE DAY.

It started grinding with the clutch ALL THE WAY IN. It would also pop out of gear in 5th. I sometimes can not get it into 1st, 2nd, 4th, or 5th. I have not even got on it. Boosted maybe a few psi.

AND I SHIFT LIKE A GRANDMA. My friends make fun of me because I baby my transmission soo much.

So can Honda Trannies just not handle high HP? OR is my ACURA dealership just a bunch of Jackasses who cant fix a transmission?

Old 09-29-2001, 08:11 PM

Default Re: I went through a new trannsmission in ONE DAY! Can Honda trannies handle high HP? (TurboIntegra

sounds like acura f*cked up somehow. I've seen numerous GSR's with your kind of horsepower run at the track and never have problems with the tranny. Hell my old integra had around 310hp before the engine bit the dust, and the tranny never gave me any problems. However my friends STOCK prelude base had your problem, and it clunked loudly whenever it went into third..and this was after a honda dealership looked at it. I'd take it back and re-create the problem in front of them showing them that they didn't fix anything but made it worse.
Old 09-30-2001, 01:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: I went through a new trannsmission in ONE DAY! Can Honda trannies handle high HP? (TurboIntegra

it might be something wrong with the linkage/bushings/bearings or somewhere in that area. have them check out the pilot and throwout bearings. i have a friend who pushes 320hp daily driven and power shifts very often w/o any tranny problems thus far
Old 09-30-2001, 06:56 AM
New User

If they fix the tranny and it does it again, I would recommend having all of the parts from the internals cryo-treated. If you do that, then there should not be any question about the strength of that tranny.
Old 09-30-2001, 08:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try bleeding the hydro clutch line. You might have air bubbles in it and not letting the clutch disengage all the way.
Old 10-01-2001, 04:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

definetly a bad rebuild, make them do it again.this trans should hold that kind of power with ease
Old 10-01-2001, 05:28 PM

GSR/Type-R trannies need not to be cryo-treated for a mear 350 hp. You got a bad tranny and Acura dicked around "fixing" your tranny. Get it rebuilt else where.. or buy a used tranny from a Junk Yard.
Old 10-01-2001, 05:51 PM

what do people do when they get near the 550whp figure? New tranny? From where?

anybody have info/links on this?
Old 10-01-2001, 07:50 PM
New User

Honda trannies don't have a lot of problems actually. In fact, from what I know of them, nearly everyone runs stock gears, or at least OEM gears. The only change is in the differential, where they usually go to a quaiffe or spool. Most racers are more worried about the axles/hubs/intermediate shaft than anything else.
Old 10-02-2001, 08:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

dude i did the same **** whith my2001 type r
it was the syncros. and mine was 5th too
i was olny with intake , exhaust and fuel reg. and mine went , my tranny needed rebuilt.
i dont think its hp , i thinks its shitty craftmand ship. might i add, i only had 7000 miles on it at the time when it happened. im about to sell the damn thing , i have been hearing alot about this lately and im gettign worried for when im pushing some reall power what will happen. these cars were supposed to be bulletproof//?/?/?/? geuss not?