Notices

I want to build a JRSC semi-sleeper *HELP!*

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2002, 12:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I want to build a JRSC semi-sleeper *HELP!*

the questions i'm about to ask have been asked numerous times and yes i've read all of them, but i still don't feel satisfied and would like to find out more. so to all the experts, thanks for your patience!

my car: 99 GSR - use to have i/h/e setup, but i've sold it so that i can go the JRSC route.

i don't plan on trying to shave tenths of seconds off 1/4 times, i just want a daily driven car that doesn't get shamed by mustangs and camaros. i think i'll be staying at 6psi, but i know speed is addictive, so who knows!

so besides the basic kit that you get from jackson racing, do i really need to get another i/h/e setup? do i need a new clutch to handle only 6psi? i've heard people recommend getting at least a new fuel pump or at least an AF gauge and other people recommend getting AT LEAST this or AT LEAST that, but no one explains why or what the benefits are.

i plan on getting the ZIP22 EBL which can be seen at (http://www.clubsi.com/whats_hot.shtml). it basically is a boost limiter, vtec controller, tip-in detonation eliminator in one. and i think it richens/leans the fuel delivery as well.

*if you were too lazy to read all of that*

my main question is what do i need besides the basic JRSC kit to run my car safely and hassle free. i still would like a long life out of my engine!
Old 04-22-2002, 01:02 PM

Default Re: I want to build a JRSC semi-sleeper *HELP!* (sleepahGSR)

Well I think you should of kept your i/h/e, You probally spent well over 1k on those parts and probally got 2/3 that back if you were lucky. When you do get the jrsc your gonna want to eventually get those three back so while your saving up just boost the stock psi. I really dont think you need anything extra but a hondata would be nice.
Old 04-22-2002, 01:04 PM

You don't need all that stuff, but it is a helluva good idea to get them. Yes, a better clutch is a good idea, even with 6psi. Clutchmasters is the way to go here.

Also, go get a custom exhaust done. It should not cost more than $250 USD. Hedders are a good idea.

Since speed is addicting, you may want to upgrade your fuel delivery system and ignition if you plan to boost more in the future. In other words, its better safe than sorry.

That ZIP controller looks pretty hot. If you can get one, then go right ahead.

Good luck! Post some pics.
Old 04-22-2002, 01:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the basic kit you just need to install it correctly and it will be fine. this means retard timing! on my LS this was not necessary but was done anyways for safety precautions, but I turned it back to stock and have no problems cuz of low compression. you would need a JR BTM to prevent detonation at stock or near stock ignition timing. that is the cheapest way to go really and its safe...

you may need a new intake or modify your stock one. (cuz it may not fit anymore cuz the TB is moved) header, get a kamikazi. exhaust, 2.5" is fine for 6psi. you dont really need anything other than maybe an intake though... i ran JRSC and intake only for a while. it was quick as is... but header and exhaust really top off the package.

if you dont like a really loud car, go with a quiet exhaust because the JRSC amplifies exhaust noise. going from a DC 4-1 header to stock made a big difference in sound. it was intolerable with the header and my loud *** exhaust, but now its tolerable... before it was probably at 100dB or so and now its at a more tolerable 90dB.

its a cool sleeper... intake noise is gone and as long as your exhaust is quiet, people wont know what hit em until you go screaming past em with that wonderful sound that a SC makes! You should be running low 14's/ high 13's BTW. If I can beat a mustang GT, so can the VTEC variation...

But anyways the fuel problems suck, but as long as you are happy with the kit as is... it will be cheap, reliable and fun. If you want to go faster, get a turbo and spend a lot of money and have something insane to show for the money spent. I have a JRSC and just dont find it worthwhile to further modify it.
Old 04-22-2002, 01:47 PM

Default Re: I want to build a JRSC semi-sleeper *HELP!*

hey thanks for the informative responses...i've been browsing the wrong message boards this whole time! honda-tech seems to be BS free with very few flamers

but anyways...about getting rid of my i/h/e...yes i did spend around 1G for that, but it was to my understanding that the usual i/h/e setup for N/A motors is different than the recommend setup for forced induction. i'll start saving up to replace those...any recommendations on which order i should start getting those parts back?
Old 04-22-2002, 01:48 PM

Default Re: I want to build a JRSC semi-sleeper *HELP!* (SoulflyCRXsi)

yo soulfly...when u say custom exhaust do you mean get a universal muffler and get a muffler shop to custom some piping? is the benefit to doing that simply the cost effectiveness? i was hoping to stay as sleeper as i could, so will the custom route be any quieter?

i'll post pics as soon as its done!
Old 04-22-2002, 01:51 PM

Default Re: I want to build a JRSC semi-sleeper *HELP!* (csufweed)

haha yet another post...sup csufweed i appreciate the info.

can you fill me in a little more on retarded timing?

i don't know how loud 100db is, but i feel you on that. i'm tryin to go as quiet as possible. so youre running stock headers now? how much boost..which exhaust?

[Modified by sleepahGSR, 10:53 PM 4/22/2002]
Old 04-22-2002, 02:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i recommend getting the JRSC first. Pick that up and an intake. If you get a short ram intake, then you probably wont have to modify it. you get an AEM CAI and you might have to. Are you gettin it installed or do you plan to do it yourself?

After you do that, then pick up the Kamikazi header at http://www.importparts.com (best price I know of) and as far as quiet exhausts, I recommend Mugen, DC Sports, 5Zigen, GReddy EVO, and Magnaflow. Also get a free flowing Carsound catalytic converter that is 2.5". You can either buy an aftermarket bolt on version of either of these exhausts or you can actually get just the 5Zigen muffler only and the Magnaflow can be found at many exhaust shops for a custom system. Make sure you get the custom exhaust MANDREL BENT and use at least ALUMINIZED STEEL if you do a custom.

The timing is adjusted by rotating the distributor and you want a timing light for accurate readings and adjustment.
Old 04-22-2002, 02:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

what u need for an entry-level JRSC 6psi setup:

Intake: some type of 2.75 or 3" shortram intake (AEM, Injen) or the Comptech Icebox

Header: DC 421 or Kamikazi 4-1

Cat: Slap a 2.5" resonated test pipe on! only $50 at testpipe.com or a high flo cat. But u dont have to.

Exhaust: any 2.5" catback.

You don't have to get the above items, but you will get more power if u do. You'll also need:

JR Boost Timing Controller (or u can retard your timing, but with this unit u can fine tune it)
JR Map Controller
Walbro GSS342 Fuel pump
AEM Fuel Pressure Regulator
Fuel Pressure Gauge

or u can get the EBL or EFVC setup or standalone, like Hondata (www.hondata.com). do some research on these items.

good luck.
Old 04-22-2002, 03:24 PM

Default Re: I want to build a JRSC semi-sleeper *HELP!* (THE PLAYER)

yesssss more $$$ to spend

so if i'm running an EFVC that eliminates my need for the JR Boost Timing Controller and Map Controller right? and is the FPR really necessary?

i also was hoping to run this setup without any gauges with the exception of the EFVC readout. can it be done?

thx
Old 04-22-2002, 03:32 PM

csufweed i think i plan on helping a friend install it. but he will be doing the brunt of the work because he owns a garage.

i use to have a CAI, so it turns out it wasn't that much of a waste to replace my whole i/h/e setup... i'm probably talking out of my *** here, but doesn't a free flowing cat make the exhaust system louder?

[Modified by sleepahGSR, 12:39 AM 4/23/2002]
Old 04-22-2002, 03:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

csufweed i think i plan on helping a friend install it. but he will be doing the brunt of the work because he owns a garage.

i use to have a CAI, so it turns out it wasn't that much of a waste to replace my whole i/h/e setup... i'm probably talking out of my *** here, but doesn't a free flowing cat make the exhaust system louder?

[Modified by sleepahGSR, 12:33 AM 4/23/2002]
yup but if you have a quiet exhaust, it wont be that loud and you gain some extra power.
Old 04-22-2002, 03:47 PM
-TJ
Honda-Tech Member

SleepahGSR....not that this forum is bad or unhelpful in anyway, but there is an even better suited BBS geared specifically toward your project and car:
http://www.hostboard.com/cgi-bin/ult...bb=forum&f=110
It's the forced induction integra BBS.

This may sound odd from a supercharger owner, but before you commit to the JRSC, you'd better ask yourself one last question:
"How much power do you ultimately want to make?"
A 6 psi JRSC is not going to beat up the V8 muscle crowd and the faster you spin the blower, the more heat it makes, the less efficeint it becomes. Because of the "off the shelf" intercooler options, you may want to consider a Vortech system or go turbo. Ask around on that BBS to help make your decision.

-TJ
Old 04-22-2002, 04:35 PM

Default Re: I want to build a JRSC semi-sleeper *HELP!* (-TJ)

theres no intercooler options for the JRSC?
Old 04-22-2002, 04:40 PM
-TJ
Honda-Tech Member

Nope. Not that JR offers. There's another thread on this forum by SCHYBRID who has custom designed his own....it's not running yet though.
Old 04-22-2002, 05:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

got this from the JR page, looks like a water injection dealie, which isn't exactly new:

Liquid Intercooling System

Kill detonation – not performance! Forced induction increases throttle response and power throughout the entire rpm range. Unfortunately, more power equals more heat! Most people simply retard the timing to lower the heat, which results in power loss. Our liquid intercooling water injection system gives you the best of both worlds, with highly advanced timing for horsepower and a mist of water that lowers temperatures by 69-100 degrees.

Old 04-22-2002, 05:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think my old Si would qualify as a sleeper. 212whp at 8psi and I ran the Comptech Icebox and the stock exhaust. It was super quiet and damn, it was quick, especially when it was cold.

Sonny
Old 04-22-2002, 06:12 PM

Default Re: I want to build a JRSC semi-sleeper *HELP!* (Sonnyballs)

I'm not a pro at this an any way and i'm also going thru the same thing you are, but I already have the jrsc. I have been told by "deepnite" here on this site that a jrsc was designed to run with stock exhaust systems, and opening up your airways is not going to help you with power. A catback is plenty, headers and a hi flow cat won't help, he had a jrsc on his car, this was his experience. I have purchased a fuel pump from jr, a btc from jr, and a boost and a/f guage. Those are the things people most recommend, I am having modacar do my install, they did "deepnites" also, they are located in pleasanton CA. If you have any questions and would like to talk to someone, call them they are lots of help. you can find their number on their web site. http://www.modacar.com.
Old 04-22-2002, 06:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: I want to build a JRSC semi-sleeper *HELP!* (akcivic)

I'm not a pro at this an any way and i'm also going thru the same thing you are, but I already have the jrsc. I have been told by "deepnite" here on this site that a jrsc was designed to run with stock exhaust systems, and opening up your airways is not going to help you with power. A catback is plenty, headers and a hi flow cat won't help, he had a jrsc on his car, this was his experience. I have purchased a fuel pump from jr, a btc from jr, and a boost and a/f guage. Those are the things people most recommend, I am having modacar do my install, they did "deepnites" also, they are located in pleasanton CA. If you have any questions and would like to talk to someone, call them they are lots of help. you can find their number on their web site. http://www.modacar.com.
and yet JR uses aftermarket exhaust on all their cars... including a header and high flow cat...
Old 04-22-2002, 06:35 PM

Default Re: I want to build a JRSC semi-sleeper *HELP!* (akcivic)

Thats funny - I dropped 2 tenths in the 1320 just going from a DC tri-y 1-5/8" collector to a Kamikaze header 2.5" collector.

I picked up another 1-2 tenths when I put in a ITR exhaust cam.....go figure

Logic - If you are pumping more air in - you have to get it out.......

94GSR JRSC with ENDYN stepper pulley. J & S Safeguard timing at 14deg.RC310 injectors and cartech FMU (need Hondata). ITR Exhaust Cam and GSR Intake Cam. Skunk2 gears. ITR springs and lost motion device. Crower titainum retainers. Kamikazi header. 3" Thermal Exhaust. MSD6a and blaster coil. Rev limiter moved to 9200rpm. No more AEM CAI currently - I made my own custom CAI intake . Best of 12.81 @ 108 on 8" slicks......I havn't run since my custom CAI or 3" Thermal - It does feel like I picked up a couple more tenths...

[Modified by BHSCGSR, 3:39 AM 4/23/2002]
Old 04-22-2002, 07:54 PM

Default Re: I want to build a JRSC semi-sleeper *HELP!* (BHSCGSR)

i appreciate this info..it may be very useful to me in the future. but as far as my needs are...i'm not really trying to shave off time from my 1/4 mile. i just want a street sleeper..well somewhat.

if i chose to run the stock exhaust...besides performance wise, could that potentially be harmful? one of my main concerns is keeping the motor running healthily for many years to come

and that JR liquid cooling system...anybody have experience or knowledge about that? seems kinda weird that its cooling system is based on a "mist of water." hell i'll pick up a spray bottle and rig it under my hood if it could save me 500 bones
Old 04-22-2002, 08:05 PM

Default Re: I want to build a JRSC semi-sleeper *HELP!* (Sonnyballs)

sonnyballs...that sounds like my ideal setup. what else did you have under the hood besides the icebox? JR BTC, Map controller? fuel pump..injectors? hondata?

Old 04-22-2002, 08:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: I want to build a JRSC semi-sleeper *HELP!* (BHSCGSR)

BHSCGSR how much boost are you running? I have a blower on my GSR with a somewhat similar setup and more.

Old 04-22-2002, 08:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: I want to build a JRSC semi-sleeper *HELP!* (Shinmantis)

my $.02...

Injen CAI
Kami 2.5" header
Zip's electronic unit thing
Carsound 2.5" cat
Custom 2.5" exhaust
Old 04-22-2002, 09:09 PM

Default Re: I want to build a JRSC semi-sleeper *HELP!* (Shinmantis)

BHSCGSR how much boost are you running? I have a blower on my GSR with a somewhat similar setup and more.
The "ENDYN stepper pulley" is supposed to put it at 9psi....but I dialed out some overlap with the cam gears at the guage reads about 10-10.5 (providing it's accurate)......

Quick Reply: I want to build a JRSC semi-sleeper *HELP!*