Notices

i want to boost my 97lude.! pls help..!

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2004, 11:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default i want to boost my 97lude.! pls help..!

Hey! i have a 97nonsh lude with 100,000 miles. I want to boost my lude and would very much appreciate everybody's help.. I've tried this b4 but never worked out coz the kit wasnt installed right.. and now i'm asking all u lude owners out there that has successfuly turbo'd their ludes to pls help me. i really want this to work out for me as it has for u guys. i really love my car... and i know u guys feel the same about ur's..pls help me..! idont know anything about cars much more my lude. the only thing i know is to put the key in the ignition, start it, then drive it..and as far as repairs and maintenance the only thing i know is to put air in my tires..so im asking u guys pls help me out. i want this to work out for me...
i have the turbo kit already.drag gen 3 and dont plan to boost that high, not hoping for high hp gains, and im getting close to saving up for the build up, new pistons, sleeved, rods etc.....:

1. what else do i need to boost my lude?
2. what kind of ecu will i need?
3. is there a way for me to keep my a/c after installing the kit?
4. with so much mileage on my car, and im planning to build up the motor to handle the boost, would u guys still advise this?
5. how dependable will my car be after the motor build up and the turbo instal?
6. how long can i expect my engine to last after the turbo instal?
7. do i need to pass a comp test and leak down b4 i build up the motor? or that wont matter since im building it up?

I know this post is pretty long. BUT PLS, PLS BEAR WITH ME! i want this to work for me as it has for u guys. pls help me out! i've searched so many times in hear but i need specific answers that concerns my car and the situation im in.. i dont know what to do and im really asking for every1's help...! thanks guys...! sorry it this is long...! pls help me out...!

Old 05-24-2004, 07:44 AM

Default Re: i want to boost my 97lude.! pls help..! (GokuSs4)

I will attempt to answer some of your questions, although I started out with the RevHard kit:

Number one really depends on what you want out of your car. I'm not up to date on what Drag is putting in their kits now, but at the least, I would get a boost gauge and an air fuel meter. A wideband such as a PLX is best, but a narrowband will let you know if something happens and you go lean.

2. Your stock ECU will be fine assuming your kit came with some type of fuel managment. If you plan on running a standalone computer later, the AEM EMS is a replacement ECU and a OBDI P28 will work with Hondata and Uberdata, but you will need a P72, etc. to use your factory knock sensor.

3. This totally depends on your kit. The Revhard kit fits well enough that it doesn't hit the AC compressor. The last time I saw a Drag manifold (Drag Gen II I believe) it looked almost identical to mine, so I am guessing that the AC should not be a problem.

4. Mileage is not so much of an issue with installing a turbo as is the condition of the motor. Personally, if I were thinking about rebuilding anyway, I would try it and see Keep it at a moderate boost level, say 7 PSI though...

5. This will all depend on your tune. If you choose to milk every HP out of the car possible by running risky air/fuel ratios and advanced timing, you can still encounter problems even if the motor is "bulletproof." Your tuner can advise you more on what is considered to be "Safe."

6. A properly installed and tuned turbo should not put a limit on your motorlife. Driving habits and maintenance usually determine the life of the motor.

7. No need to do any tests before you build, since it sounds like you will be replacing everything anyway.

I hope this helps, and if you need any more specifics, just ask...
Old 05-24-2004, 08:25 AM

Default Re: i want to boost my 97lude.! pls help..! (Nocturnal)

Why do you want a turbo setup in the first place? I ask that honestly, it doesn't sound like turbo is the solution for you. Realistically, to turbo a car well, you need to be comfortable with tinkering and maintainance. If the only maint. you consider is putting air into your tires, you are going to have more headaches than you want. Maybe something for occasional power like nitrous would be a better option for you. The best thing you can add to your setup is knowledge. If you want the car to be the best it can be, research all you can before you buy anything.