Notices

I think my COMATIC HEAD GASKET gave up???

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2007, 07:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I think my COMATIC HEAD GASKET gave up???

This past weekend i did two consecutive passes on the highway up to 5th gear on my boosted h-series. Well, as soon as I let off the gas pedel on the second pull, I noticed my temperature needle covering the H on the gauge. In other words, it couldn't get any hotter. So, i cruised at 40mph for two miles and i got off the nearest exit. As soon as i creeped into a parking lot, i started hearing faint pinking and i noticed the tail pipe was boiling out white smoke. I checked my oil and it had anitfreeze, too.

People told me that may be the motor got soo hot that the haedgasket gave up or that the head warped. I'll consider myself lucky if its just the head gasket. But... what about that pinking noise........ What do ya'll think
Old 01-15-2007, 08:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: I think my COMATIC HEAD GASKET gave up??? (peakboosth22)

cracked sleeve
Old 01-15-2007, 08:28 AM

ur valve reliefs mite be chipped on ur pistons...
Old 01-15-2007, 08:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: I think my COMATIC HEAD GASKET gave up??? (iBrandon)

if you hear a ticking/pinging noise, then that's most likely a rod bearing spinning, from all the coolant in the oil.

I know when I cracked my sleeve, the car wouldn't even run. I've venture to say you have spun the rod bearings and atleast have killed the headgasket. Time for a full rebuild.
Old 01-15-2007, 10:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

5th gear pulls are not the best thing to do. Worst case scenerio most likely a cracked ring-land. Best case a blown head gasket.

How well was the engine tuned? And I mean post up some calibrations... not 'good.'
Old 01-15-2007, 05:34 PM

Default Re: I think my COMATIC HEAD GASKET gave up??? (PrecisionH23a)

Wait, once it started overheating you continued driving? So you drove on an overheating motor for about 10 minutes?
Old 01-16-2007, 06:41 AM

Default Re: I think my COMATIC HEAD GASKET gave up??? (1Bar GSR)

I only drove it for an extra two miles and during this distance, the needle was between the H letter and the middle marker. The engine is FULLY BUILT
I Started the engine yesterday and it started up and idled normal, but there is a faint ticking.

OH, and the i still havent taking it apart, but im sure the head gasket is trash
Old 01-19-2007, 06:15 PM

it's cometic, not comatic
Old 01-19-2007, 09:58 PM

Default Re: (00cord)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by peakboosth22 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I only drove it for an extra two miles and during this distance, the needle was between the H letter and the middle marker. The engine is FULLY BUILT
I Started the engine yesterday and it started up and idled normal, but there is a faint ticking.

OH, and the i still havent taking it apart, but im sure the head gasket is trash</TD></TR></TABLE>

It doesnt make a difference built or not lol... You DON'T drive on a overheating motor. Infact its worse to drive on that built motor, because you put money into something you tearing up. You pull over and let it cool down. I have a feeling that the needle was on the H... but whatever makes you think that tapping sound you motor is making go away.

And you said you havnt taken the motor apart? You sure you know what your doing because you sure as hell didnt when you drove on a overheating motor!
Old 01-20-2007, 12:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i'm gonna vote for cracked sleeve
Old 01-20-2007, 11:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: I think my COMATIC HEAD GASKET gave up??? (SOHC_MShue)

Its a fully built motor, it cant be a cracked sleeve. Built motors dont break haha. You stated that you started it up yesterday? Was the motor even tuned yet? I'm going to vote for the headgasket. If you cracked a sleeve, your little cruise would have a been a a big smoke show.
Old 01-20-2007, 11:59 AM

Default Re: I think my COMATIC HEAD GASKET gave up??? (SlowReaction)

too many variables to take a guess at what went wrong. warped head, blown HG, thrown bearings, blown rings. pull it apart and let us know what happened. quit starting it up listening to the problem. tear it down and fix it your doing even more damage to whatever is broke.
Old 01-23-2007, 01:06 PM

Default Re: I think my COMATIC HEAD GASKET gave up??? (hybrdthry911)

guys....guys I know that build motors and stock motors are equally threatened by HEAT, PERIOD. This is not the issue. And yes, i should have stopped as soon as possible when i saw temperature gauge spiking. INstead, i drove an extra three minutes to the nearest exit. I know... I know.. Now, tommorrow i'll take the head off to check for a busted gasket, cracked sleeve, or a warped head.

AND yes, the car was dumping out a sweet smelling, white smoke or vaporization out the tail pipe.

That tapping noise is very faint. Someone told that i could be ignition knock cause by antifreeze and water fouling out the spark plugs...... Who knows

AND yes, the car does have a great tune. The dyno numbers are on mY SIGNAture
Old 01-23-2007, 01:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by peakboosth22 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">guys....guys I know that build motors and stock motors are equally threatened by HEAT, PERIOD. This is not the issue. And yes, i should have stopped as soon as possible when i saw temperature gauge spiking. INstead, i drove an extra three minutes to the nearest exit. I know... I know.. Now, tommorrow i'll take the head off to check for a busted gasket, cracked sleeve, or a warped head.

AND yes, the car was dumping out a sweet smelling, white smoke or vaporization out the tail pipe.

That tapping noise is very faint. Someone told that i could be ignition knock cause by antifreeze and water fouling out the spark plugs...... Who knows

AND yes, the car does have a great tune. The dyno numbers are on mY SIGNAture</TD></TR></TABLE>

It has been over a week did you even pull the head yet?
Old 01-23-2007, 01:22 PM

Default Re: I think my COMATIC HEAD GASKET gave up??? (underpressure02)

what is the thickness of it???how many layers???
Old 01-23-2007, 01:45 PM

Default Re: I think my COMATIC HEAD GASKET gave up??? (gogunkergorilla)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by underpressure02 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

It has been over a week did you even pull the head yet?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well, i've got two others cars for transportation so there is really no rush. Plus, the weather has been cold and i've had to work alot.

&lt;&lt;&lt;THE headgasket is made by COMETIC, which i've heard are real CRAPPY gaskets&gt;&gt;&gt; I don't know the thickness of the gasket.

Any company suggestions for a new gasket
MY friend suggested a stock head gasket??????
Old 01-23-2007, 01:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by peakboosth22 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Well, i've got two others cars for transportation so there is really no rush. Plus, the weather has been cold and i've had to work alot.

&lt;&lt;&lt;THE headgasket is made by COMETIC, which i've heard are real CRAPPY gaskets&gt;&gt;&gt; I don't know the thickness of the gasket.

MY friend suggested a stock head gasket??????</TD></TR></TABLE>

YEAH, STOCK HEADGASKET ONLY. Almost everyone on here making big power use an OEM gasket or a Golden Eagle Gasket which is modified OEM gaskets

That tick is probably a rod bearing from water damage. I had a faint tick once from over revving, my crank journal went out of round.
Old 01-23-2007, 02:34 PM

Default Re: I think my COMATIC HEAD GASKET gave up??? (SPOOLINmatt)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SPOOLINmatt &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

YEAH, STOCK HEADGASKET ONLY. Almost everyone on here making big power use an OEM gasket or a Golden Eagle Gasket which is modified OEM gaskets

That tick is probably a rod bearing from water damage. I had a faint tick once from over revving, my crank journal went out of round. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Does that mean that the rod bearing has to be replace or will the problem go away once i get 100% oil running through the engine. Wishful thinking
Old 01-23-2007, 05:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by peakboosth22 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Well, i've got two others cars for transportation so there is really no rush. Plus, the weather has been cold and i've had to work alot.

MY friend suggested a stock head gasket??????</TD></TR></TABLE>

Whats funny is you are planning on buying a new headgasket and don't even know what is wrong with the car. And the more you let that antifreeze sit on your bearings and piston walls the more damage you are doing to your motor. Have you even drained the oil? Was there antifreeze in it?