Notices

I SEARCHED, I READ! Still need help, i'm a turbo n00b!

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2007, 03:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I SEARCHED, I READ! Still need help, i'm a turbo n00b!

hey guys, you all are insanely intelligent about boost, so i figure ask the best right? anyways, i got a buddy that was gonna boost his d series with a garrett t25. he sold the car and the turbo is just sitting around. i have an obd1 b18c1, and i'm wondering if its a good/bad idea on using the t25 on my car. i'm not looking for crazy hp or anything. i'm just looking to make some decent power on a daily driven car. anyone else running the t25? suggestions? i read a lot of threads already and it seems like most people are trying to make big hp gains. i also searched and didn't see anything on the garrett t25. so any info is helpful, thanks in advance guys!
Old 04-22-2007, 03:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

that is a small turbo, do you have any other parts besides the turbo for your turbo kit? manifold, dp, etc.?
Old 04-22-2007, 03:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah i kno its a small turbo, i just wanna run around 6-8psi, and be 'safe daily driver' i dont have any other parts cuz i havn't got the turbo from my friend yet, i dont know if its worth pickin it up or not
Old 04-22-2007, 03:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (asianeric)

you can run 10psi on a t3/t04e and be perfect. thats what id do. i wouldn't run that turbo for the life of me. to small
Old 04-22-2007, 03:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

t25=crap in my book just like turbo_ls_69 said what else do you have or is that it?
Old 04-22-2007, 03:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (b00sted-Hatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by b00sted-Hatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you can run 10psi on a t3/t04e and be perfect. thats what id do. i wouldn't run that turbo for the life of me. to small </TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah, its just that im getting the turbo for so cheap and i just was wondering if it'd be worth it, but i guess not?

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TIGboy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">t25=crap in my book just like turbo_ls_69 said what else do you have or is that it?</TD></TR></TABLE>

why is it crap, i mean i'm just trying to get info, while i appreciate ur input, i would also like an explanation, because just cuz u say its crap, it doesn't help me know why its crap. and like i said in my past post, i dont have anything, he has the turbo layin around in his garage, im not gonna buy anything for it unless its worth it. thanks guys
Old 04-22-2007, 03:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

crap cause no power... fast spool yet no power. the money needed to install a turbo kit and have it tuned isn't worth it for a t25. not unless u have the whole kit along with turbo lying around. t25 will spool fast but not give any dramatic hp increases.
Old 04-22-2007, 03:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (perseverance)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by perseverance &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">crap cause no power... fast spool yet no power. the money needed to install a turbo kit and have it tuned isn't worth it for a t25. not unless u have the whole kit along with turbo lying around. t25 will spool fast but not give any dramatic hp increases.</TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah, that's what i figured...but i dont want any dramatic hp gains...im only looking for like 200whp. can u guys suggest a 'better' setup that is affordable? i dont want to be buying a huge turbo to make 300+hp like most people in this forum, just a fun daily driver, im an all motor guy, but thought i'd mess around with turbo to change things up
Old 04-22-2007, 04:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The t25 will run out of breath up top but will make your 200hp goals.

I say keep it if you have it.
Old 04-22-2007, 04:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Snafubmx234)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Snafubmx234 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The t25 will run out of breath up top but will make your 200hp goals.

I say keep it if you have it.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

thanks! finally some actual advice. i kno there are bigger better turbos, but i'm looking to see if THIS particular turbo will do the trick for a daily driver. thanks guys
Old 04-22-2007, 04:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

im just going to say this incase you dont know. bolting the turb o up is only half of hte work... and MAYBE half the money. i got a good deal on my turbo setup i spent 600$.... BUT i spent about 1,000$ on my fuel managment. fuel managment is more than half hte job. you cannot skimp on fuel managment. if you bolt it up and just turn it on. it will blow hte motor up. you need to have it tuned. if you need some help with an idea for what your going to need feel free to pm me and i can give you an idea ;D
Old 04-22-2007, 04:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

pm'd, thanks
Old 04-22-2007, 05:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Good paperweight for your desk!
Old 04-22-2007, 05:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (1fastvtec)

that turbo is so small. me personally i wouldn't run as i already said. that turbo would probably be unefficiant at around 18-20 psi.

how much are you getting this turbo for? it would be wise to save up a little longer to get a t3/t04e turbo which you would be MUCH happier with. manifolds and such would be A LOT easier to find.
Old 04-22-2007, 05:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by asianeric &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

thanks! finally some actual advice. i kno there are bigger better turbos, but i'm looking to see if THIS particular turbo will do the trick for a daily driver. thanks guys </TD></TR></TABLE>

Heh, no offense but everyone else is giving you good advice, it's just not what you want to be hearing.

Your best interest would be to go with something larger. Boost is extremely addictive and for the price of building and tuning a kit you might as well as get a bigger turbo and push 300whp stock block and be much happier!

Yes, 300whp stock block is reliable as long as the tune is good. 200whp gets old real quick.
Old 04-22-2007, 05:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (SovXietday)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SovXietday &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Yes, 300whp stock block is reliable as long as the tune is good. 200whp gets old real quick.</TD></TR></TABLE>

any horsepower will get old quick. your body will get used to it. and you'll have to go faster and faster.

well for me anyways.
Old 04-22-2007, 07:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (SovXietday)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SovXietday &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Heh, no offense but everyone else is giving you good advice, it's just not what you want to be hearing.

Your best interest would be to go with something larger. Boost is extremely addictive and for the price of building and tuning a kit you might as well as get a bigger turbo and push 300whp stock block and be much happier!

Yes, 300whp stock block is reliable as long as the tune is good. 200whp gets old real quick.</TD></TR></TABLE>

while u are correct in some aspect, you are incorrect for the most part. i was advice about the t25, and what im trying to do. i dont want advice on other turbos, like i said i know there are bigger and better, but im looking for a fast spool, street daily driver around 200whp. thanks though, i know where ur coming from. also, i know u can do a reliable 300+ but im asking about the t25, on a low budget with little tuning. any hp gets old, u get used to it.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by b00sted-Hatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">that turbo is so small. me personally i wouldn't run as i already said. that turbo would probably be unefficiant at around 18-20 psi.

how much are you getting this turbo for? it would be wise to save up a little longer to get a t3/t04e turbo which you would be MUCH happier with. manifolds and such would be A LOT easier to find. </TD></TR></TABLE>

i don't want to push 18-20, i am looking to do around 6-8, 10 max. you make a valid point about application and more accessable manifolds thanks!

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by b00sted-Hatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

any horsepower will get old quick. your body will get used to it. and you'll have to go faster and faster.

well for me anyways.</TD></TR></TABLE>

agree
Old 04-22-2007, 08:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

bump!
Old 04-22-2007, 08:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

do the t3/t4e. just do it. and dont look at that shitty t25.

or sell it to me so i can put it on my snowmobile
Old 04-23-2007, 03:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

bump, still wondering, btw he is selling it to me for 100 bucks with a rebuild kit. deal or no deal. again im lookin for 6-8psi 200whp, would this turbo (t25) be good for what i'm looking for?
Old 04-23-2007, 03:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It seems, like another before me stated, the advice your looking for is only for the positives. You want to hear us say "yes, buy it, do it". I say this because its all the negatives that you scoff at but say "finally, some good advice" to the one person that told you to go for it.

A t25 like so many before me have said is too small. You will not be satisfied with what it'll make you feel in regards to horsepower increase. I know. I've gone from a T3 super 60 to a T3/T4 and both times increased the psi for more.. more.. MORREEE horsepower. Save the $100 you're going to spend and get a bigger turbo and enjoy it that much more.

It's like I mention to various friends. Sure you can get a header, intake, cams, etc... but why waste all that money when you want to go boost? Save it and just do the boost. Those are just going to be temporary power adders until you can afford what you really want and you won't get your $$ back when you sell em.

So here is what it comes down to.

Yes put it on. You'll enjoy the horsepower...for now.

No don't put it on. It's too small. Get a bigger turbo and enjoy your ride that much more.

Hope that helps
-Rik
Old 04-23-2007, 03:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Rikter)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Rikter &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">It seems, like another before me stated, the advice your looking for is only for the positives. You want to hear us say "yes, buy it, do it". I say this because its all the negatives that you scoff at but say "finally, some good advice" to the one person that told you to go for it.

A t25 like so many before me have said is too small. You will not be satisfied with what it'll make you feel in regards to horsepower increase. I know. I've gone from a T3 super 60 to a T3/T4 and both times increased the psi for more.. more.. MORREEE horsepower. Save the $100 you're going to spend and get a bigger turbo and enjoy it that much more.

It's like I mention to various friends. Sure you can get a header, intake, cams, etc... but why waste all that money when you want to go boost? Save it and just do the boost. Those are just going to be temporary power adders until you can afford what you really want and you won't get your $$ back when you sell em.

So here is what it comes down to.

Yes put it on. You'll enjoy the horsepower...for now.

No don't put it on. It's too small. Get a bigger turbo and enjoy your ride that much more.

Hope that helps
-Rik</TD></TR></TABLE>

this is outstanding advice. you guys keep saying all i want to hear is positive and to buy it. if that were the case i wouldn't be asking and i would just buy it. the problem is saying NO IT IS A BAD IDEA, or they are crap, and taht's the end of it. i need some type of reasoning...while they say its too small, that's still non-specific. and people that are saying that, are saying go with a _____ because you can push 300hp+. so is it too small to push 200whp? i want to know if the T25 will give me the 200whp i'm seeking maybe a bit more, but again, your advice is great because you tell me why it isn't good. it's just, i'm not like you boost heads or most other people. i have an ITR that was running 14.5 all motor, and that was enough for me. i hardly smash, and when i do, its like from 2nd thru part of 3rd. i just want to do it as a small on the side project to put together a lil boost. but! how about this. suggest a turbo i should go for that is that cheap. $100 for the turbo with a rebuild kit. if i can get other turbos at that price, i'm down, or even at 250. i just don't want to spend like 600 on the turbo, and then buy the rest of the needed parts. cuz im not looking for a 450whp monster. thanks guys. again, i should change what i said. it wasn't like 'good advice' it was advice i could use.

basically my questions are:

will it make 200-250whp.
is it worth 100 bucks.

my questions are NOT:

what will make me tons of hp.
what turbo is BETTER and BIGGER.

catch my drift? i wanted to keep my car stock motor, but for 100 bucks i figure i'll just pick it up and build a lil boost fun. thanks guys, you truely are great sources of info.

maybe if you knock the t25, tell me what ur setup is? again, im a boost n00b, so i know little to nothing.
Old 04-23-2007, 04:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

that turbo is probably good for 200whp. however what people are trying to tell you is that it may not be a good idea to build an entire kit around such a small turbo that will bore you rather soon. you can buy a bigger turbo and run your current goal of 200whp and you will still have the possibility of increasing the boost without dramatic changes to your set up
Old 04-23-2007, 07:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah, im second guessing it now tho, cuz its a good point to get a bigger turbo and run less boost and be able to upgrade later
Old 04-23-2007, 09:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

bump!!!