Notices

i was racing tonight and i overrevved my turbo ls...i need some help

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2002, 10:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: gravity rides everything...everything will fall, se GA/ne FL
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default i was racing tonight and i overrevved my turbo ls...i need some help

i accidentally made a high rpm shift from 3rd to 2nd instead of 4th...i heard something break. it drives fine. well, nothing too abnormal at all. it is just making a tapping under the valve cover. i took off the valve cover but i don't see anything unusual or obvious. from inside the car driving, it sounds like a hushed cammed v-8. no smoke, just the noises...what did i do to my motor by the sounds of it? what should i do because i am going to fix it myself of course. thanks. this sucks.
Old 04-05-2002, 10:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: i was racing tonight and i overrevved my turbo ls...i need some help (not so civic)

im guessing you got valve float and a piston hit a valve. Do a compression check and see if they all checkout ok.

I wouldnt drive your car too much until you know what the problem is. If a valve is bent you will have to pull the head off the block and replace the bad parts. Its a major pain in the ***.

liam
Old 04-05-2002, 10:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: i was racing tonight and i overrevved my turbo ls...i need some help (not so civic)

u check your valve adjustments some times the bolt come loose
Old 04-05-2002, 11:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks for the advice so far...i am getting up early and pulling the head off and all this good stuff. is it just me or does everyone experience one problem after the other? i'll let you guys know what i see
Old 04-05-2002, 11:08 PM
New User

Default Re: i was racing tonight and i overrevved my turbo ls...i need some help (DLB1994)

yeah i did the same thing the other night racing a turbo 240 and a escalade on the freeway. i downshifted from 4th gear to 3rd gear too soon. my valves sound focked up... making a rattling sound... doesnt sound good. im having my valves checked at the shop next week. im thinkin i bent a valve... or knocked em out of specs. if its bent... then its time to build the head.
Old 04-05-2002, 11:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: i was racing tonight and i overrevved my turbo ls...i need some help (dlplayboy)

haha...yeah i am down but everyone keeps trying to remind me that it might just be head or valvetrain upgrade time! woohoo i guess.
Old 04-05-2002, 11:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I've had the adjuster lock nuts back off compeltely and be sitting in the valve train.
Old 04-06-2002, 12:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: i was racing tonight and i overrevved my turbo ls...i need some help (TurboInteg95)

I've had the adjuster lock nuts back off compeltely and be sitting in the valve train.
Yeah, I would check the valve lash. Hoping its that......if not maybe it is time to build the head
Old 04-06-2002, 12:23 AM
Smarter than you

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: i was racing tonight and i overrevved my turbo ls...i need some help (TurboInteg95)

this happened to me as well.. I downshifted into 2nd from 5th at 100mph.. I thought everything was fucked, bent valves and all.. Ended up taking off the valve cover and noticing the nut on the valve adjuster had backed off.. I heard from a few people this is comon on LS's.. DId a vavle adjustment and put it back together and its been running like a champ ever since..

good luck, dont pull the head off till u do 1) valve adjustment and 2) compression test
Old 04-06-2002, 02:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: i was racing tonight and i overrevved my turbo ls...i need some help (DIRep972)

cehck this out. my friend did the same thing with his b16a crx at the track and the motor blew apart in side. so then we built an ls/vtec for it. since then he has miss shifted and had the engine rev to over ten gran or at least that what the autometer redneck tach said. however his engine is still fine. crazy huh. oh heres a video of how he miss shiftes all the time. come to find out the shifter bushing is all mushed up, and warn out. here ya go. See how many times you can count the misshift! have fun
http://clutorrtechvideos.homestead.com/files/steve2.zip
oh heres the one where he missed shifted at the track and blew the b16a
http://clutorrtechvideos.homestead.c...orblowncrx.zip
and heres on more for ya http://<a href="http://clutorrtechvi...newcrx.zip</a>
Old 04-06-2002, 03:21 PM
Smarter than you

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: i was racing tonight and i overrevved my turbo ls...i need some help (12345678910Seconds)

valve job $200, oil change if you're lazy $20, driving your car like that - not priceless
200$ for valve job? id shoot myself if i paid that.. Just get your own feeler gauges and do it yourself.. Or if u do wanna pay someone, do it under the table for like 50..
Old 04-06-2002, 04:37 PM
New User

Default Re: i was racing tonight and i overrevved my turbo ls...i need some help (turboex)

cehck this out. my friend did the same thing with his b16a crx at the track and the motor blew apart in side. so then we built an ls/vtec for it. since then he has miss shifted and had the engine rev to over ten gran or at least that what the autometer redneck tach said. however his engine is still fine. crazy huh. oh heres a video of how he miss shiftes all the time. come to find out the shifter bushing is all mushed up, and warn out. here ya go. See how many times you can count the misshift!
i think your friend needs to learn how to drive.
Old 04-06-2002, 04:39 PM
New User

Default Re: i was racing tonight and i overrevved my turbo ls...i need some help (12345678910Seconds)

[QUOTE]valve job $200QUOTE]

daym! im gettin my valve job done at the dealer for $110. includes the valve cover gasket and cam plug seal. rather have it done right... cuz if someone else does it wrong and something snaps... then youre screwed!

[Modified by dlplayboy, 5:47 PM 4/6/2002]
Old 04-06-2002, 04:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: i was racing tonight and i overrevved my turbo ls...i need some help (dlplayboy)

NOT a valve job, only a valve setting.
Old 04-07-2002, 08:01 AM

I had a valve job done, and the head decked for $75. They did good work too. Guess it helps to know the right people...
Old 04-07-2002, 11:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: i was racing tonight and i overrevved my turbo ls...i need some help (TurboSi)

i would quit building cars if when i drove them i broke them. not from power but from mistakes in driving. i could not afford that.
Old 04-07-2002, 12:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: i was racing tonight and i overrevved my turbo ls...i need some help (earl)

NOT a valve job, only a valve setting.
yeah its a valve adjustment.

I would do a comp test see if its the same all the way, taking of the head is alot of work...so save urself the trouble before doing all that extra work. Good luck
Old 04-07-2002, 02:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: i was racing tonight and i overrevved my turbo ls...i need some help (DIRep972)

well, i took off the valve cover and spotted that one of the nuts on the adjuster was gone and several others were loose. i searched the head with a pen magnet under the oil puddles and it's not up top. i am guessing that it fell down one of the oil passages and into the oil pan? i don't really feel like pulling the pan at the moment though i will because i have to find it. i pulled the head off. the valves look fine and they look seated correctly with no bends or cracks. the piston tops are ok. the cams are out. i am probably going to go ahead and get my friend to do a 3 angle on them. tonight i am going to port the head and clean everything. if it is still messed up sounding after i put it back together, set the lash, run it...then i already have a gsr head in line just in case. but yeah...there were several adjuster nuts pretty loose. thanks.