Notices

i need some professional bckyard turbo help!!!(littl long)

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2002, 10:56 AM
Honda-Tech Double Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default i need some professional backyard turbo help!!!(little long)

Ive been looking for a turbo for a while now but ive had no luck. Ive tried to search the junkyards but the people who run them are dicks and wont help me becuase they think im young and dont know what im doing. These are the prices that ive been quoted for some turbos...89 volvo(i think that they are t3's), anyway it was in good shape and it only had a tiny bit of shaft play.....$350. When i told him that it was way to high of a price he told me to do more pricing because i dont know what im talking about....after a few choice words i left and went to the next place. The next place was a big time salvage yard around here....i thought that i could get some better help...WRONG!!! I asked them if they had any turbo saabs, volvos, merc., dsm's.etc..., and he told me that they didnt. I told him that i had seen a talon tsi sitting out there as i was driving up and he told me that talons didnt come in turbo trim. After arguing about it for a while he asked a mechanic and they varified what i had said....tsi's are turbo. I asked him if i could go look at it and he told me that he couldnt let anyone in the yard...but i had seen like 10 people in there. I decided to keep cool and ask somemore questions...i asked if there was anything wrong with the turbo and he said that he didnt know and i asked again if i could go look at it. He was like "what do you need to see....a turbo is a turbo?". I told him that i wanted to see if it had any shaft play and he said "do you have to take it apart?". When i told him that id have to do a little bit of work he said no because he didnt want a mess. Then i was like "WHATEVER". And i asked him how much he wanted for it....$250. I procede to tell him that he was a dumb-@ss and that he probably couldnt get $100 for it on ebay i left. So what can i do? Where can i go to get a CHEAP turbo? Im going to use it to turbo my stock d15 in a little crx just to experiment with backyard turbos before i do it to my ls engine...dont want to f anything up . Im getting REALLY PISSED. Thanks guys.

[Modified by sCeRaXn, 7:56 PM 7/12/2002]

[Modified by sCeRaXn, 8:01 PM 7/12/2002]
Old 07-12-2002, 11:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: i need some professional backyard turbo help!!!(little long) (sCeRaXn)

http://www.Car-Parts.com

Go there. Should be able to find ANY turbo your looking for.

Just have to know what exactly it's off of.
Old 07-12-2002, 11:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: i need some professional backyard turbo help!!!(little long) (sCeRaXn)

I don't know if they have a pick n pull yard around your area, but they have set prices and you just go looking for what you want. They won't charge you out rageous prices either. And that 89 volvo for $350?!?! I got one... $45 with a 30 day warranty!
Old 07-12-2002, 11:26 AM
New User

You need to stay away from the big chain junkyards and find the u-pull-it yards. Those guys couldn't care less what a turbo is. The selction is not the best, but if you check regularly and catch a car on its way in, you can make a killing. They are the places selling the turbos for $50. Just make sure to come in all ragged and sloppy and carrying your tools in a beat up box. Sometimes i carry my tools in a empty 12 pack beer box, i look extra cheap. Don't ask for turbo cars, don't even ask if they have volvos or dsms, just say you want to see what you got in import stuff. find what you want and tell them you want the turbo off the car. They should say $50 if they say more, tell them it needs a rebuild and ain't worth that. Tell them its worth $50. usually they got the whole car for $50 so they go for it. Take what you want from any turbo car and drop them $50 cash each and run. Usually they don't care too much. Most cars sit for about 1 month in those places before they trash them. All they want is the engine and tranny, the extra u-pull parts they sell are just gravy. Don't talk to the people in the yard or you may show that you are worth more, they will go tell the boss and you will find the turbo price jump to $100 when you finally get it off.

Also, some places just cut the exhaust to remove the engine. I have seen them cut right though the exhaust housing. idiots.

Randy
Old 07-12-2002, 11:51 AM

Default Re: i need some professional backyard turbo help!!!(little long) (RGAZ)

there are group buys for t3/t4 turbos going for about 500 bucks brand new. that guy was triping. i have also never meet a junk yard person that knows **** about anything and was not trying to rip me off. one time i when and there was a 00 teg ls with about 9k miles on it. some one had taken the spark plugs out including the wires and left the hood open. well there is now water full to the top of the spark plug holes. they still wanted to sell the motor to me for $1500 wo the tranny (auto so who cares) and ecu. they were ******* trippin. i would do like that guy said and find a pull it yard or go on ebay.