Notices

i need pics of d series valve cover with a tapped fitting on it, for catch can

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2007, 04:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default i need pics of d series valve cover with a tapped fitting on it, for catch can

i cant really find and D series pics of a vc with a non welded fitting on it.. i wanna make one with my spare but need to see the best spot that everyone usually uses.. also im going to be venting the VC fitting to a can of some sort with just a filter on top.. how big must the filter be to not be restricting and what about condensation? my old can used to fill up with water alot.. and i wont be running a vacuum to the can.. just open vent to atmosphere.. will this be ok to eliminate crankcase pressure? and do i have to make some kind of baffle in the VC where i screw the fitting in or wont it spray that much oil out?
Old 09-18-2007, 04:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i acutally just did this. i used a -10 bulkhead fitting on the valve cover and a moroso breather tank.

the best spot is on the back to the very top but you have to stay about a 1/4" or so from the bend, and you have to make sure it goes between the rocker arms or it will hit the bulkhead fitting.

youll need to cut the baffling inside on each side of the fitting and bend it down, install fitting, tighten it, and then ben that baffling back over the fitting and bend it down the sides of it. mine baffles fine and dont get much oil in mine. i also have a can for the valve cover nipple and crankcase. and no leaks. i used hondabond on it also.

ive been meaning to get pics but i havent yet.
Old 09-18-2007, 11:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'd also like to see pics when you get them.
Old 09-19-2007, 04:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Re: (cbustuner)

Mine,

Done by Rota, the baffle was replaced
Old 09-19-2007, 05:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

why do you need to replace the baffle on the inside? If the hole was drilled on the top like above, welded, why the baffle even come into question? Post a pick of the under side please!
Old 09-19-2007, 05:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ELSpool)

I'll take an inside pic this evening, the cover is just sitting on the shelf right now.
Old 09-19-2007, 06:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Autoworks)

I just recently had all this done on my car like a couple days ago. My fabricator is the ****. No issues with the baffles or anything.

Old 09-19-2007, 08:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (d15bfi)

Do you know what size this fitting is?
Old 09-19-2007, 10:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

-4 or -6AN,

hold a ruler up by it for the photo.

I always try and get people to put their breather lines going to a spot on the cover that is covered on the underside of the valvecover (there is a blatant metal plate across the top on the inside) so that when under boost, the pressure doesn't start pushing a shitload of oil that is being aprayed on the cam right out the breather tubes. You often hear about people's upper breather tubes causing their catch can to fill up in a heartbeat... 99% of those are instances of the ports being drilled and tapped lower on the valvecover, not having a shield between the opening and the valvetrain where the oil comes from.
Old 09-19-2007, 12:25 PM

Default Re: i need pics of d series valve cover with a tapped fitting on it, for catch can (97grnrs)

i guess thats what ill do too.. a pic of the underside would be good too.. can i use metal epoxy since i dont have an alum welder??
Old 09-19-2007, 02:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ELSpool)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ELSpool &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">why do you need to replace the baffle on the inside? If the hole was drilled on the top like above, welded, why the baffle even come into question? Post a pick of the under side please!</TD></TR></TABLE>

well i had to mess with the baffling because i use a an bulkhead fitting and not welded on. you gotta get in there and tighten it down somehow dont you lol.
Old 09-19-2007, 02:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm actually going to try a vibrant/z1 style oil cap breather adapter and see how that works out.
Old 09-19-2007, 04:26 PM

any pics of that breather on the oil cap.. i cant seem to find one
Old 09-19-2007, 04:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by cbustuner &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'm actually going to try a vibrant/z1 style oil cap breather adapter and see how that works out.</TD></TR></TABLE>

those arent baffled and will fill your can up quick.
Old 09-19-2007, 04:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (mike93eh2)

I think I have pics of the inside too but I can't find them right now.

This vents to an Endyn catch can on the firewall and drains to the passenger side of the block fitting

Another shot with measurements. Someone wanted that a long time ago.

Edit, found the inside.
Old 09-19-2007, 04:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ladysman)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ladysman &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I think I have pics of the inside too but I can't find them right now.

This vents to an Endyn catch can on the firewall and drains to the passenger side of the block fitting
</TD></TR></TABLE>

thats exactly where mine is at but i used a AN bulkhead fitting and was able to use the stock baffling to baffle it. hardly any oil ends up in the can.
Old 09-19-2007, 04:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (mike93eh2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mike93eh2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

thats exactly where mine is at but i used a AN bulkhead fitting and was able to use the stock baffling to baffle it. hardly any oil ends up in the can.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Mine doesn't get fill up at all. On the dyno it was for sure venting though..lol
Old 09-19-2007, 05:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the inside of mine...

I'll be adding the 3rd line this time from the back of the block
Old 09-22-2007, 02:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (97grnrs)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 97grnrs &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">any pics of that breather on the oil cap.. i cant seem to find one </TD></TR></TABLE>

http://www.sfxperformance.com/parts/VIB12671.htm

I haven't bought one yet but when I searched around for feedback I saw some people with complaints about pushing more oil.So... I took a spare plastic oil cap and taped a 3/8th elbow on it and did some testing.Basically the same thing but for 2 dollars.It does push oil but only after back to back full boost runs and it's a small amount and such so I wouldn't say it fills up the can quick at my boost level.I haven't had to empty it yet after a few weeks.Not a really big deal for me since my turbo's so laggy that if im boosting on the street im probably going way over the speed limit,so I almost never go into boost.

Once i get a price from my welder and get a spare valve cover im going to have this done.Before I could never find information on where the best sopts would be to have a bung welded.
Old 09-22-2007, 03:08 PM

Default Re: i need pics of d series valve cover with a tapped fitting on it, for catch can (97grnrs)

i suppose if u took a plastic or metal stock oil cap and did what he did but found some way to put a baffle in it it may work ??
Old 09-22-2007, 03:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I used a stock plastic oil cap.If you shoot me an email address I will send you some pictures.

I actually went out side and drained it and was suprised by the lack of oil.I took a picture of how much it was.I thought it would be more because when I changed my oil last week I saw some oil in the line from the cap to the can.I just did this because if this pushed tons of oil then i know the vibrant cap would.I like to see and test stuff for myself sometimes

Modified by cbustuner at 12:48 AM 9/23/2007
Old 09-25-2007, 05:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

great info thanks
Old 09-25-2007, 08:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Autoworks &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the inside of mine...

I'll be adding the 3rd line this time from the back of the block</TD></TR></TABLE>

dam i should do that, i have the 2 vents and it fills up with oil fast, i have 2 brass fittings welded on to mine
Old 09-25-2007, 03:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Quad-Damage)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Quad-Damage &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

dam i should do that, i have the 2 vents and it fills up with oil fast, i have 2 brass fittings welded on to mine</TD></TR></TABLE>

should have welded the fittings on so they are beneath the stock baffling.
Old 09-25-2007, 03:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Re: (Quad-Damage)

Quad, where have you been?

I can't link photo's right now but do a search for post by rota92 he makes valve covers with bung's. The yellow car has one on it.

There are tons of our engine shots here.

Here found some https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1749699

Quick Reply: i need pics of d series valve cover with a tapped fitting on it, for catch can