Notices

I need help with the Hex plugs on the back of the block, I'M STRESSED OUT!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2006, 10:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need help with the Hex plugs on the back of the block, I'M STRESSED OUT!!

UPDATE ON PAGE 2

can some one please tell me how to get them off, i have the 14mm hex socket, but they will not move, and just when i think i have it, they ******* strip the side walls, im ready to take the intake manifold off just to get to them better, if they sat in the plug deeper it would be easier, but the walls are starting to round off on me, PLEASE HELP ME, i am very stressed and worried that i can get them off. TIA

Modified by SPNFEDEH at 12:56 PM 6/30/2006
Old 06-28-2006, 12:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i used a vise grip pliers cause i didn't have a 14 mm allen and it came right off
Old 06-28-2006, 07:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: (89hatcher)

Wow, you got those off with vise grips? They're usually really tight and they will strip easily because the allen socket isn't very deep. All you can do is keep trying, being very careful to keep the allen square and all the way in. If it's already stripped you're probably going to have a real hard time getting it off. I've had to remove stripped ones by welding a nut to them and taking them off that way.
Old 06-28-2006, 07:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 89hatcher &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i used a vise grip pliers cause i didn't have a 14 mm allen and it came right off</TD></TR></TABLE>

how the hell did you use vice grips on them? that **** seems impossible heh...

they're a bitch to remove but it can be done, be patient & keep truckin.
Old 06-28-2006, 07:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: I need help with the Hex plugs on the back of the block, I'M STRESSED OUT!! (SPNFEDEH)

I had todo this with the engine in the car a couple weeks ago. Not fun but be patient. Took me about fifteen minutes each one. Donkey Kong strength

&lt;Edit&gt;

&lt;/Edit&gt;
Old 06-28-2006, 07:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (93preludes)

I used a 6" extension, and had my buddy keep the socket and extension straight from the top of the engine bay, they definently are royal PITA's, definently due the driverside first as I found it to be the more difficult, so if you can't get that you won't bother with the passenger, saving you a trip for a new crush washer to put it back on.
Old 06-28-2006, 07:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (a1320addict)

How good is your 14mm allen key ? some cheaper quality ones will round off the plug. Try another one and hammer the allen key into the plug first before your try to break them loose.

Another tip, tighten them up a tiny bit and then break them loose..

stan
Old 06-28-2006, 08:24 AM

Default Re: (Flamenco-T)

if it won't budge use an air hammer with a pointy tip. i know it si=ounds crazy but use a regulator on the gun so you don't put a hole in the block...lol just walk it loose with the hammer. i've done this so mant times on countless bolts that are stripped or just won't move. good luck
Old 06-28-2006, 10:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: allen plugs

try a slightly bigger allen socket (standard or metric) and hammer it in there. then use a big f'n breaker bar.

Thats how i got mine, but the engine was removed.

May have to take off the IM like you said
Old 06-28-2006, 11:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: allen plugs (DJ Gurgla GSR)

Mine came out very hard.. Im not sure what you should do.. But be carefull not to strip them.. Very hard to remove if you do.
Old 06-28-2006, 12:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: allen plugs (HamiltonRex)

I was only able to remove one because I didn't take out my oil seperator box.

Actually, a friend was able to get the one out, I guess I'm weak. He got it out with my 1/2" rachet and the 14mm allen socket from under the car. The downpipe was off also.
Old 06-28-2006, 12:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: allen plugs (Buzzbomb)

I actually cut the allen wrench so that it was about 1" long then took a 14mm socket with an air wrench and it came off no problem. It helps that I had the engine out of the car too....
Old 06-28-2006, 12:19 PM

Default Re: allen plugs (tepid1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tepid1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I actually cut the allen wrench so that it was about 1" long then took a 14mm socket with an air wrench and it came off no problem. It helps that I had the engine out of the car too....</TD></TR></TABLE>

i cut an allen wrench as well and left enough to fit deep in the fitting, and enough sticking out to put a 14mm socket on.

i used a 1/2" wratchet and pipe and they came off. not easily, but they did.
Old 06-28-2006, 01:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (93preludes)

yeah i used vise grips on it...but the motor was out and the head was off...and i couldn't find any 14mm allen so i just used the vise gripped it and i just tapped it a little and it came off
Old 06-28-2006, 05:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i got them off, installed it, i had to take the intake manifold off, but i installed it, plugged everything back in, all sensor and coolant lines, and now it doesnt even want to stay on, its shooting out a **** load of white smoke out of the breather and exhaust, i did reuse the same intake manifold gasket and just tightend them down in a non sequence, i am very stressed still and not sure wat to look for, no CEL i rechecked coolant lines, but still nothing, my 2 friends said that if u reuse the old gasket it its not sealing right and u need to tighten them down in a certain sequence. Is this true? they both said that there is coolant leaking into the runners if the gasket isnt sealing correctly. HELP!!, i have been at this car since 10 this morning, i am very worn out
Old 06-28-2006, 06:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (SPNFEDEH)

1) go to sleep
2) wake up
3)brush your teeth (optional)
4)eat a big *** breakfast (necessary)
5) take a nap
6) stand infront of your car and plan what you will do
7) get a intake manifold gasket
8)take off the intake manifold
9) look at all the lines and ensure you put them on correctly
10) look at the intake runners and see if coolant fell in there
11) put everything back together slowly
12) call a friend to look at what you did

turn her on, and thank me

It definately was something that you took off that is causing the problem so rest and do it again tomorrow and have a friend look it over.
Old 06-28-2006, 07:01 PM

Off topic, but...

Nice throttle cable bracket
Old 06-28-2006, 08:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (beak)

do i have to tighten them down a certain way? any tricks for the new intake mani gasket? i pulled the old one off, i went back out and took it off, NOW I AM VERY TIRED, took the gasket off but a lil bit is still stuck on, good way to get it off?, when that **** idled, it sounded horrid, i would rev it, sounded like a wrx, and my vacc would be like at 10 almost zero, but i think thats cause i had a vacc hose off, but when i woud plug of the hose, car would die
Old 06-28-2006, 09:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

here is the side where the coolant is, i looked at the running and intake ports, the one near the coolant lines looked wet around the port on the head, the other ports were dry.

Old 06-28-2006, 10:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (86si)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 86si &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">if it won't budge use an air hammer with a pointy tip. i know it si=ounds crazy but use a regulator on the gun so you don't put a hole in the block...lol just walk it loose with the hammer. i've done this so mant times on countless bolts that are stripped or just won't move. good luck</TD></TR></TABLE>

i find that's the easiest way to do it also, i thought i was the only one, lol. or you can weld together 2 14mm bolts with the hex head facing outwards, and use that.
Old 06-29-2006, 09:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (PrettyLude)

lets hope its the intake manifold gasket, i have no clue wat else it could be, i just took plugs out installed can and put everything back
Old 06-29-2006, 09:47 AM

bump for IM gaskets!
Old 06-29-2006, 10:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

spray a very light coat of wd-40 on both sides of the IM gasket before you put it on. it will come off easy next time you take off the intake manifold.
Old 06-29-2006, 12:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: I need help with the Hex plugs on the back of the block, I'M STRESSED OUT!! (SPNFEDEH)

good tip, always go oem? or is kragen **** good enough?
Old 06-29-2006, 12:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you should tighten the IM bolts starting from the center and then working your way out. May want to torque them down in two steps also

not sure on the torque spec for those bolts

Quick Reply: I need help with the Hex plugs on the back of the block, I'M STRESSED OUT!!