Notices

i just wanted to share what my friend did...but i would like comments

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2004, 08:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default i just wanted to share what my friend did...but i would like comments

first of all i would like tosay that i dont have a digi cam so u'll have to use ur imagination.

my friend's gotta stock 94 4dr integra ls thats boosted with mistu 14b (i think..its pretty small) with internal wg set at 7psi going thru fmic (dunno specs or brand but its about 2 inch deep, 6 inches high and about 2.5 feet long?). anyway to get his charged air colder he relocated his windshield washer squirter to shoot against the fmic with 2 nozzles and also 2 shooting at the radiator. he's got the canister with water and drops bunch of ice when he goes to BIR (brainerd international raceway).i thought to myself 'thats cool'. but seen how he has a small fmic i dont know if thats gonna do anything for him and also if he's radiator gets super hot and he suddenly shoots it with cold water wouldnt the cap blow open? what do u guys think? has this been done before?
Old 06-18-2004, 10:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: i just wanted to share what my friend did...but i would like comments (98B00STED)

well cold water on the intercooler or radiator would reduce temps...

cold is dense. How would cooling a high pressure system, which lowers the pressure, cause a radiator cap to blow open?

if anything it should LOWER the systems pressure... right?

Old 06-18-2004, 10:41 AM
DaX
Honda-Tech Member

Received 662 Likes on 524 Posts
Default Re: i just wanted to share what my friend did...but i would like comments (Sketch_hs)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Sketch_hs &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">if anything it should LOWER the systems pressure... right?</TD></TR></TABLE>

This is what I'm thinking.

Modified by DaX at 3:51 PM 6/18/2004
Old 06-18-2004, 11:50 AM

Default Re: i just wanted to share what my friend did...but i would like comments (Sketch_hs)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Sketch_hs &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">cold is dense. How would cooling a high pressure system, which lowers the pressure, cause a radiator cap to blow open?

if anything it should LOWER the systems pressure... right?

</TD></TR></TABLE>

i guess ur right
Old 06-18-2004, 01:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: i just wanted to share what my friend did...but i would like comments (98B00STED)

ya, this is done all the time with various liquids and gasses (EVO 8 has it stock right?). He might want to try rubbing alchohol mixed with water for an even cooler evaporation.

Unless the car has cooling issues spraying it on the radiator is a waste IMO. I have run many B18s off civic half size radiators with 0 cooling issues and he has one twice the size.

I find it hard to beleive they let him take his car on a track while it's dripping water from the front end though.
Old 06-19-2004, 10:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: i just wanted to share what my friend did...but i would like comments (Bailhatch)

yeah the evo 8 has it stock.

i'm not sure it does a whole lot though.

infact it seems like a waste compared to water injection, but that's a whole different subject.

water injection

water spray
Old 06-20-2004, 12:46 AM

The most efficient way to lower charge temps with intercooler spray is to use nozzles that mist water onto the cooler rather then just squirt it on in puddles. Misted water also evaporates more quickly. As somebody also said, you can use a water alcohol mixture. The theory is kinda the same with body heat and sweating. When the human body experiences high heat and humidity it begins to sweat to cool our bodies down. The cooling we feel is due to the evaporation of water from our skin.

Old 06-20-2004, 06:02 AM
Banned

Default Re: i just wanted to share what my friend did...but i would like comments (DA9-T)

I've sprayed my intercooler and all I got was hot water out the other side. To be frank, compared to water injection it sucks. Their is no doubt that water injection drops the inlet temperatures, but you have to make the car work with the water injection instead of using it as a bandaide.
Old 06-20-2004, 09:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i did this with ice cold water on my old turbo car i don't know if i had succes
Old 06-20-2004, 06:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: i just wanted to share what my friend did...but i would like comments (danl)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by danl &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I've sprayed my intercooler and all I got was hot water out the other side. To be frank, compared to water injection it sucks. Their is no doubt that water injection drops the inlet temperatures, but you have to make the car work with the water injection instead of using it as a bandaide.</TD></TR></TABLE>

If the water was hot, that mean's it was doing its job!!
To be honest I have no idea if this is a great idea or not; But I don't doubt it does somthing. Another great thing to spray @ your intercooler to cool it rapidly would be acetone. Ever spilled some on your hand? It evaporates very quickly... and very cold.

Matt
Old 06-20-2004, 06:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: i just wanted to share what my friend did...but i would like comments (Johnyquest)

spray your intercooler with keyboard cleaner before ya run..... that **** is crazy cold.
Old 06-20-2004, 06:54 PM
DaX
Honda-Tech Member

Received 662 Likes on 524 Posts
Default Re: i just wanted to share what my friend did...but i would like comments (Dturbocivic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Dturbocivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">spray your intercooler with keyboard cleaner before ya run..... that **** is crazy cold. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Duster...haha. Yeah, that **** is very cold if you spray it upside down.
Old 06-20-2004, 06:56 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Sketch_hs &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yeah the evo 8 has it stock.

i'm not sure it does a whole lot though.

infact it seems like a waste compared to water injection, but that's a whole different subject.

water injection

water spray </TD></TR></TABLE>

I was reading about the MR and supposidly they took out the sprayer, to make room for something else. So that me is enough to let me know it probally was not that effective. Now water or propane inj. would be a different story.