Notices

I have an idea to reduce car theft.....this involves nationwide participation.....

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2002, 08:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I have an idea to reduce car theft.....this involves nationwide participation.....

okay, I had a lot of time to think, and personally I have told a few of my closest frends to get out of hondas, just becasue the scene is getting outrageous. There are more thieves in this scene than anything else out there....

I love honda, I have always will and will never want to leave it, my next car will not be a honda, but I don't wanna leave you guys behind. This is my first family and have always been my home...I will always be here. Seeing how much hands and help you guys have given me, boost this inspiration to do this, I REALLY REALLY DO NOT WANT TO SEE THIS HAPPENS AGAIN TO US....

I am now dedicating my life to reduce honda theft.

okay move on...

what I am thinking is a Nationwide database, in which you can register all the VIN, serial numbers, characteristic and anything unique that pertain to the parts you have added to the car...

the profile will be separate individual profile based on your state and lic plate number.

each of the profile will have a listing of motor, added accesories and everything else.

EVERYTIME you added something to your car, I encourage you to update your profile and everytime you sell any parts, I encourage you to update it with the email address of the future buyer, then the next buyer will get a courtesy email to register as well...

Now, Everytime you are buying any parts online, I encourage you to check the serial and part number to the nationwide database to see if it's legit. A good example would be liek carfax...

God forbid, if your car get stolen or broken into., you will immediately report to the database and at this point, all your serial number will have a status stolen.

Anyone who try to purchase some of your parts, and check the serial number will be encourage to contact the database and later on the police with the information of the potential seller, such *** email address, phone number and adress for that matter of a possible stolen parts.

We can also encourage everyone not to purchase anything with altered serial numbers or lack of.

I will neeed your word of mouth to encourage this to everyone you know, I will make banners and advertise on partstrader, hondaclassifieds and all over the place as much as I can...

The registration is free and to check the serial number is free. This service must be free and accesible to the public to serve its purpose.

Most of the expenses will be cover by myself first and I will make a profile to submit to Insurance company and local as well as nationwide private and public organization that will suffer from theft.

With this, I am really hoping that by having a serialized system, will encourage theft to drop just by simply taking away the opportunity to sell the parts online as we all know the demand is 100 times than the supply.

I can not and will not expect everyone to participate, but if we can reach at least 45-50% of the community, it will make a difference, the difference may be as simple as who's car going to get stolen next and it may be yours.

The whole point is by requesting serial numbers and be able to check the legitimacy of it, will discourage theft because they will not be able to sell anything without providing serial numbers. Again, this will not stop everything that has been around, but if they words get around the the bastards who has been doing this, it may discourage them as the chance of getting caught is greater than before...

of course not all parts are factory serialized, but marking and etching, or metal stamping to your own unique numbers will be issued by the system and creating a unique numbers to all of your parts, such as valve cover, seats, wheels, springs, suspension, distributor, pulleys, headlights, tail lights and many others...this will be either in a form of one time stickers or you can do an etching on your parts, a permanent etching.

For what it's worth, it may reduce theft on motor, tranny, and other major components parts to where it becomes such a waste of time and money to commits any auto theft.

so what do you guys think ?

as far as avenues, my brother can help me with the databse creationa and hosting. And I will be paying for all the expenses out of my own pocket at first and some other donations, untill we can get enough members to attract the big corporate contribution. After all this may help them save and cut cost as well...

Okay guys I need more ideas....

PS: I thought of this when I was at the greyhound bus on the way back to LA from Las Vegas after my car was stolen....

stan

[Modified by Flamenco-T, 11:46 PM 11/11/2002]
Old 11-11-2002, 08:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: I have an idea to reduce car theft.....this involves nationwide participation..... (Flamenco-T)

VERY GOOD idea.i was thinking you could even do it as a buisness..say $40 to join or something.i know i woul dpay(although im in canada so i guess i dont apply)
ive thought long and about leaving honda ONLY because of theives... but im pushing onwards...maybe i need one of these ..i dunno...but to me, i cant let them ruin my life.
Old 11-11-2002, 08:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: I have an idea to reduce car theft.....this involves nationwide participation..... (SiRkid)

no, for this to works and works effectively, IT MUST BE FREE....to access it and register it...

an incentive to protect your parts should be enough...

think about it:

if your car get stolen, the likelihood of busting the ************* just double.. if the buyer check the serial nuimber and it comes back stolen, the thief is already busted or at least can lead you to the scum bag. you have the email, phone number or address..

let's change the way we do business
Old 11-11-2002, 08:51 PM
Smarter than you

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: I have an idea to reduce car theft.....this involves nationwide participation..... (Flamenco-T)

stan this is a great idea. the more people that participate the better chance it has of working. also w/ a system like this out in public theives will be more scared to sell to random people and will only be able to sell stolen parts between there circle of friends and greatly reduce the demand for stolen parts. it would help a ton.
Old 11-11-2002, 08:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Im all for it Stan, I hate F*cking thieves!!!
Old 11-11-2002, 08:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: I have an idea to reduce car theft.....this involves nationwide participation..... (DIRep972)

Being a victim of a Honda theft, I will be more than willing to contribute a few greenbacks to at least the start up costs, of this system, and as well, to advertise it on my business' website. Sounds like a good idea...keep us updated.
Old 11-11-2002, 08:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: I have an idea to reduce car theft.....this involves nationwide participation..... (MatT3T4)

Hell ya, kick *** idea, im down for anything I can help with
Old 11-11-2002, 08:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: I have an idea to reduce car theft.....this involves nationwide participation..... (MatT3T4)

I am gonna try to re-word the words and possibly make a charts to have others understand the concepts easier...once I get enough ideas from you guys

then I am gonna strat posting at other boards as well....just too see the reaction...

just think of this, all this starts at FI forum and Honda-Tech.com...we need to be proud...
Old 11-11-2002, 08:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: I have an idea to reduce car theft.....this involves nationwide participation.....

Definately a great idea. Is there a way to keep thieves from using the info to find potential targets?
Old 11-11-2002, 08:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

free is better, i was just saying my first thought was .hmm. a way to make money..sorry im money hungry(dang boost )
Old 11-11-2002, 09:02 PM

Default Re: I have an idea to reduce car theft.....this involves nationwide participation..... (SiRkid)

Old 11-11-2002, 09:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: I have an idea to reduce car theft.....this involves nationwide participation..... (racerxadam)

Definately a great idea. Is there a way to keep thieves from using the info to find potential targets?
all info and profile will be kept strictly confidential and will not be sold to anyoneor any companies. The only thing that can be access is serial numbers, when you enter it, it will either say stolen, or safe

this is good guys, ask question here..this will make it perfect...if we can make an engine hoist out of 2x4's we can do anything hehehe
Old 11-11-2002, 09:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

sounds good...who's gonna initiate it?
Old 11-11-2002, 09:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Flamenco-

I have a close friend who is very handy with MySQL and PHP and HTML and I'm sure would be willing to help if you needed it. I think this is a good idea also!

For serial numbers, Create your own...
http://www.martronics-corporation.com/

[Modified by stizzit, 10:25 PM 11/11/2002]
Old 11-11-2002, 09:28 PM

Default Re: I have an idea to reduce car theft.....this involves nationwide participation..... (stizzit)

this is deffinatly a great idea

-chris
Old 11-11-2002, 09:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm up for it. Hopefully there will be a good amount of people to participate. Would there be one serial number for a car for all the parts installed?
Old 11-11-2002, 09:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You could use your driver's license number and/or your SS# for parts that don't already have identification numbers.
Old 11-11-2002, 09:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: I have an idea to reduce car theft.....this involves nationwide participation..... (accordfreak)

krazn: me and a few other guys

stizzit: great ideas, I was thinking of something like that...I am gonna fidn out how much that runs or if it can be fabricated ourself

accordfreak : well, I am not sure yet, but it looks like it...one serial number will be easier to id everything....

another concern just comes up, security...since we're using lic plate and state as profiler, some concerns of having thiefs locate where you live and find you..
I need to discuss the security of this and the level of security...
again, you'll be assign a password to access your profile with parts and etc..address is not neccesary, we just need to verify something to ID yourself and the serial numbers...
Old 11-11-2002, 09:39 PM
Better than steak

Old 11-11-2002, 09:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: I have an idea to reduce car theft.....this involves nationwide participation..... (accordfreak)

I'm down...try to see what teh projected price is to start it up and keep it running until corporations start joining is and let us know.

Also, anything you may need
Old 11-11-2002, 10:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: I have an idea to reduce car theft.....this involves nationwide participation..... (paul_vang)

Old 11-11-2002, 10:28 PM
New User

good idea... but how many people would actually participate in this? i think if anything.. it would have to be a LAW.
Old 11-11-2002, 10:31 PM

good idea stan

Old 11-11-2002, 10:38 PM

Default Re: I have an idea to reduce car theft.....this involves nationwide participation..... (gsR-T mode)

bad *** idea!!
Old 11-11-2002, 10:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: I have an idea to reduce car theft.....this involves nationwide participation..... (dlplayboy)

good idea... but how many people would actually participate in this? i think if anything.. it would have to be a LAW.
it would be nice, but the incentives of having greater chance of cathcing a thief should be enough...

see, check this...
out of 25000 members of honda tech, for example I get 15000 to join...
that's 15000, yes 15000 less parts that can be stolen and got away...think about it...
so lets say, out of 15000 persons register, 100 had their car stolen, god forbid....
out of half of the parts that is being traded around, 50 ppl acutally checked the serial numbers and find out it was stolen....that's 50 possible ************* that are busted already....50 is not much, ,but it only takes one to be in pain...

that's the biggest pain I have, NOT HAVE ANY WAY OR MEANS TO DO ANYTHING ABOUT IT..............being helpless....

this will not stop it, but it will reduce it greatly...by closing the circles within us and eventually it will be minimize......

Quick Reply: I have an idea to reduce car theft.....this involves nationwide participation.....