Notices

I have a few question. Started my car for the first time in 213 days.

Old 04-08-2003, 04:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I have a few question. Started my car for the first time in 213 days.

My ECU is throwing a code: Code 14.

Idle Air Control Valve.

Car: 1992 Civic Si
Engine: 1999 b16a2

The IACV come off a '92 LS motor. But it was working fine on that motor?

Do I need a 99+ valve?

What do you guys recommend?

Could it be clogged or something?

oh one more question. Does the 99 b16a have a fast idle valve, or some **** like that?
Because the engine is going from 1500 - 1000 - 1500 - 1000rpm fast. The book says it could be some fast idle valve along with the IACV?

Anyone have a stock FPR laying around that they can ship me for free? I'll pay for shipping.

My #3 sparkplug is hard to take out and replace. So I'm sure it cross threaded a little bit.

What do you guys recommend on ways to fix it?

Thanks.

Old 04-08-2003, 04:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: I have a few question. Started my car for the first time in 213 days. (RyanAutry)

as far as the spark plug deal goes...if it comes to the point that it is stripped out....you can get a heli coil kit for spark plug holes

http://www.emhart.com/products/helicoil.html

http://www.thetoolwarehouse.net/shop/TTW410.html

[Modified by BoostingSnail, 8:44 PM 4/8/2003]

[Modified by BoostingSnail, 8:46 PM 4/8/2003]
Old 04-08-2003, 05:26 PM

Default Re: I have a few question. Started my car for the first time in 213 days. (RyanAutry)

I would say the IACV is bad or an incorrect part. Either way, it needs to be replaced. Before paying for one, id swap out one w/ a buddy just to be sure.
Old 04-08-2003, 08:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

check all the vaccum lines!
i had that code a couple weeks back..i had unplugged my cruise control vac hose while messing around and forgot to put it back on and it caused the idle to be shitty and threw that code!!!!!! from just that gay vac line.
i put it back on..and everything is fine and cel went away.
my 0.2

[Modified by SiRkid, 5:06 AM 4/9/2003]
Old 04-09-2003, 04:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Ryan before you go get another IACV take it apart and make sure that the white plastic piece is screwed in all the way and that the screen inside is not clogged. Spray some cleaner in it and hit it with some air to dry/blow it out then reinstall it. Sometimes they will get crap in them or the white cap inside is loose.
Old 04-09-2003, 06:39 AM

I had that problem with the rpms going up and down up and down, we fixed it by taking out the throttle body and where the tps sensor is there is a regulator of some sort i have no clue of what its called.. talk to 98civicex he should know... also if u look in the throttle body there are holes on the side... Is it sucking air like crazy??? if it is its prob the same problem i had.
Old 04-09-2003, 06:40 AM

Default Re: I have a few question. Started my car for the first time in 213 days. (Dublocivic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Dublocivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Ryan before you go get another IACV take it apart and make sure that the white plastic piece is screwed in all the way and that the screen inside is not clogged. Spray some cleaner in it and hit it with some air to dry/blow it out then reinstall it. Sometimes they will get crap in them or the white cap inside is loose.</TD></TR></TABLE>

thats the piece im talking about, mines had gotten loose and it started out small reving up and down, then it got really loose as time went by. hopefully this should fix the rev problem...
Old 04-09-2003, 06:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: I have a few question. Started my car for the first time in 213 days. (lude92si)

That is usually the culprit if there are no vac leaks and all else is sound. I did had this prob of the up.down up down etc.. That thing pissed me off so bad.. I took it off of the manifold, set it on the ground and smacked it out into the woods with an old golf driver that was laying around.
Old 04-09-2003, 09:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: I have a few question. Started my car for the first time in 213 days. (Dublocivic)

Thanks for the info. Mine is doing the same thing!!!
Old 04-09-2003, 11:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: I have a few question. Started my car for the first time in 213 days. (ladysman)

Thanks guys. I'm working on it tomorrow. I will print this page out when I go.

Hey, does anyone want to snap a couple pics of this part for me?

Thanks.
Old 04-09-2003, 11:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: I have a few question. Started my car for the first time in 213 days. (jz)

hahah i was gonna do teh same thing but my buddy had a ls throttle body with a spare on it... yeah if you look in the tb there is a hole...put your finger on it and i bet it stops ...if so its that valve on the bottom . It warms the air in the morning i think and then closes when its warmed up but if its fualty it will just rise and fall all day
Old 04-09-2003, 12:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: I have a few question. Started my car for the first time in 213 days. (ASHY-ELBOW)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ASHY-ELBOW &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">hahah i was gonna do teh same thing but my buddy had a ls throttle body with a spare on it... yeah if you look in the tb there is a hole...put your finger on it and i bet it stops ...if so its that valve on the bottom . It warms the air in the morning i think and then closes when its warmed up but if its fualty it will just rise and fall all day</TD></TR></TABLE>

Can someone post a picture of this hole on the TB? I don't remember see'ing a hole?

Old 04-09-2003, 12:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It is inside the TB. haha.. My cousin stuck his finger on the hole and it stopped the up and down fluctuation(by-passing the valve).. when he pulled his finger off of it, it sucked the shop rag out of his hands and went in the hole (about half way)...lol scared the **** out of him..
Old 04-09-2003, 01:00 PM

yea
Old 04-09-2003, 01:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So, it's in the actually TB hole.. hmmm...

I will check it out.
Old 04-10-2003, 10:20 AM

Default Re: I have a few question. Started my car for the first time in 213 days. (jz)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jz &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">hmmmmm....i cant see any holes in your tb from the pic. my h23 tb has 2 holes on the left side, one on top and one on the bottom. if there are holes in there start your car up with no intake on it and when it starts idling up and down just cover the whole with youf finger and if it stops then just cork that bitch. </TD></TR></TABLE>

i wouldnt cork it thats just working around th corner, you can fix it easily...i think your hole is at the top...but where the tps is there should be another piece thats connected to a hose that goes to your radiator in that thing should be the white plastic piece you have to tighten this to make it stop...check it out pull off the throttle body you should be able to find it...hoope this helps and good luck in it