Notices

I HAVE ALOT OF QUESTIONS ABOUT TURBO-ING MY LS HATCH!!!!!!!!!aNY HELP WOULD BE GREAT!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2005, 10:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I HAVE ALOT OF QUESTIONS ABOUT TURBO-ING MY LS HATCH!!!!!!!!!aNY HELP WOULD BE GREAT!!!

I am new to this site. I want to boost my car and I am just curious to see other peoples answers. I could really use any help. I have a 94 CX hatch with a 95 USDM LS engine. The bodys got 123,000 miles on it and the Engine has close to 100,000 miles on it. I want to throw a turbo on, but my engine is 100% internally stock...

I don't really have any power goals at all (as far as numbers) I just want something faster than just an LS hatch . I'm looking at setting $3000 at my maximum limit (maybe willing to go over if I NEED to) on how much I spend (Not including labor to get it professionally installed, Or i might just do it myself w/help of others)

*So am I good to put a turbo on?

*How much PSI am I safe to run at with stock Internals?

*How much can a stock LS handle?

*With my engine having 100,000 miles and my body 123,000 -will I still be safe to boost my car?

*I know i hafta get rid of my intake and header, but Am I safe to keep my 5Zigen exhaust? (basically, Do I have to upgrade to a 3" ?)

*What is the best Turbo brand and size that you all reccomend me buy? Im not trying to spend alot,but i don't want anything cheap. I don't want to go all out either and be the fastest or anything-----I just want the best speed and performance for the dollar!

*If I don't upgrade my fuel management- Will It still be safe to be a daily (365 days a year) driver?

*Do you all reccomend that I upgrade my entire fuel management system since i'm not aiming at that much power? or Do you just reccomend that I just up my injectors only? If so what size and brand is good but not too expensive?.....b/c Im really not tryin to spend that much and I do not want that much more power......I just want it to be reliable and faster

*DO I really HAVE to upgrade my clutch? My clutch is alright now, it grinds in 3rd at High RPM's?????? I know its reccomended , but do i HAVE to?

Damn............., I know I ask ALOT of questions.....lol....But I just want to know everything so I can make sure I buy the right turbo kit, buy everything else I need for it, and Most importantly I want a good idea of how much $$$ I'm going to have to spend.

So any help would be great. And if anyone would be able to answer as many questions for me that would help me out a real lot.I 'm not a car expert and I was recommended to come to this site to get some good answers from people that are basically experts on this stuff.

I know tuning is a VERY important factor and so is fuel management......MY ULTIMATE GOAL IS TO KEEP AS MUCH THINGS STOCK AS POSSIBLE........WHILE STAYING RELIABLE (365 DAYS A YEAR)....AND WITHOUT SPENDING TO MUCH MONEY. I will upgrade if needed (or highly highly reccomended)
Old 01-25-2005, 11:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: I HAVE ALOT OF QUESTIONS ABOUT TURBO-ING MY LS HATCH!!!!!!!!!aNY HELP WOULD BE GREAT!!! (JayDeEM

Originally Posted by JayDeEM-ike
I am new to this site. I want to boost my car and I am just curious to see other peoples answers. I could really use any help. I have a 94 CX hatch with a 95 USDM LS engine. The bodys got 123,000 miles on it and the Engine has close to 100,000 miles on it. I want to throw a turbo on, but my engine is 100% internally stock...

I don't really have any power goals at all (as far as numbers) I just want something faster than just an LS hatch . I'm looking at setting $3000 at my maximum limit (maybe willing to go over if I NEED to) on how much I spend (Not including labor to get it professionally installed, Or i might just do it myself w/help of others)

*So am I good to put a turbo on?First you need to do a compression test

*How much PSI am I safe to run at with stock Internals? Safely you can run about 10 psi, and up to 13 psi with a good tune

*How much can a stock LS handle? LS motors are good to boost because of their low compression. Still you'll need a compression test first thing.

*With my engine having 100,000 miles and my body 123,000 -will I still be safe to boost my car?See above

*I know i hafta get rid of my intake and header, but Am I safe to keep my 5Zigen exhaust? (basically, Do I have to upgrade to a 3" ?)If you plan on bumping up the power just a little, then your exhaust should suffice. But if you plan on pushing out big power numbers, I would upgrade to 3"

*What is the best Turbo brand and size that you all reccomend me buy? Im not trying to spend alot,but i don't want anything cheap. I don't want to go all out either and be the fastest or anything-----I just want the best speed and performance for the dollar!For a first timer, I would recommend buying a complete kit like Greddy or RevHard. All the pieces are meant to work with each other, so it will eliminate the guesswork on your part. Most kits start out around $1500-$2000, or you can check the classifieds here

*If I don't upgrade my fuel management- Will It still be safe to be a daily (365 days a year) driver?Since you are adding more air, you will need more fuel. This means larger injectors and at least a FMU

*Do you all reccomend that I upgrade my entire fuel management system since i'm not aiming at that much power? or Do you just reccomend that I just up my injectors only? If so what size and brand is good but not too expensive?.....b/c Im really not tryin to spend that much and I do not want that much more power......I just want it to be reliable and fasterDSM injectors can be had pretty cheap

*DO I really HAVE to upgrade my clutch? My clutch is alright now, it grinds in 3rd at High RPM's?????? I know its reccomended , but do i HAVE to?Since it's grinding, I would recommend replacing it. You have to get the power to the ground

Damn............., I know I ask ALOT of questions.....lol....But I just want to know everything so I can make sure I buy the right turbo kit, buy everything else I need for it, and Most importantly I want a good idea of how much $$$ I'm going to have to spend.

So any help would be great. And if anyone would be able to answer as many questions for me that would help me out a real lot.I 'm not a car expert and I was recommended to come to this site to get some good answers from people that are basically experts on this stuff.

I know tuning is a VERY important factor and so is fuel management......MY ULTIMATE GOAL IS TO KEEP AS MUCH THINGS STOCK AS POSSIBLE........WHILE STAYING RELIABLE (365 DAYS A YEAR)....AND WITHOUT SPENDING TO MUCH MONEY. I will upgrade if needed (or highly highly reccomended)
Old 01-26-2005, 01:07 AM

Read all of this:

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1024174

Then ask a more specific question.
Old 01-26-2005, 05:21 AM

Default Re: I HAVE ALOT OF QUESTIONS ABOUT TURBO-ING MY LS HATCH!!!!!!!!!aNY HELP WOULD BE GREAT!!! (JayDeEM

When you decide to do what your going to do there is a great shop in Norfolk, VA called Millennium Autosports and ask for Brian. He got some pretty sick numbers out of his stock block before upgrading. Very knowledgeable and great to work with. There # is 757-853-7771 (Brian)
Old 01-26-2005, 05:35 AM
DaX
Honda-Tech Member

Received 662 Likes on 524 Posts

Alongside a compression test, I would recommend a leakdown test on all 4 cylinders.

I am running a setup very similar to yours. My LS is going to be tuned for 10psi in about two weeks. The only thing that isn't bone stock on the block/head is going to be a set of ARP head studs. Properly tuned, this setup can be very reliable and fun.

If you want to check out my setup,

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=913515
Old 01-26-2005, 07:27 AM

To ERL performance:If I go to Millenium and get it professionally installed, how much will they charge?, Im just curious man, but I will still call Brian and ask him all the details, since Norfolk is bout 45 min. away from me I might consider getting it done prefessionally considering its not that much, if it is too expensive I will install it myself w/help of others. Thanks for your help man.

How and Where do I do a compression and leakdown test? I'd rather not do it myself, so Can ANY shop do it?, Can anyone give me and idea on how much they will charge for a compression and leakdown test? Thanks

I've seaarched through and will continue to search through the FAQ's- but I m still lookin for any more help. Also its been reccomended that I pretty much have to get a new clutch...Which type and brand of clutch do you guys reccomend? I want something that will do the job and be good for 8-10psi, but not be too expensive----(It doesnt have to be the best, just cheap, but not too cheap.)
Old 01-26-2005, 07:31 AM
DaX
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JayDeEM-ike &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">To ERL performance:If I go to Millenium and get it professionally installed, how much will they charge?, Im just curious man, but I will still call Brian and ask him all the details, since Norfolk is bout 45 min. away from me I might consider getting it done prefessionally considering its not that much, if it is too expensive I will install it myself w/help of others. Thanks for your help man.

How and Where do I do a compression and leakdown test? I'd rather not do it myself, so Can ANY shop do it?, Can anyone give me and idea on how much they will charge for a compression and leakdown test? Thanks

I've seaarched through and will continue to search through the FAQ's- but I m still lookin for any more help. Also its been reccomended that I pretty much have to get a new clutch...Which type and brand of clutch do you guys reccomend? I want something that will do the job and be good for 8-10psi, but not be too expensive----(It doesnt have to be the best, just cheap, but not too cheap.)</TD></TR></TABLE>

Any performance shop should be able to do a compression and leakdown test for not very much...they're both pretty basic. There is a guy here in Atlanta that hand builds clutches...they're great and not very expensive compared to the big names.
Old 01-26-2005, 07:45 AM

lets say I keep my stock clutch...and I install a turbo kit.......will my stock clutch last? It grinds in 3rd now, but I will try som syncromesh. Because Im trying to avoid spending as much money as I can. But if i pretty much have too then I will.
Old 01-26-2005, 07:46 AM

by the way dax nice setup
Old 01-26-2005, 07:56 AM

You should be fine with a $3000 budget,that won't be a problem at all.Now as far as your motor do a compression test to see if everything checks out alright.You will be safe to run 10psi on your motor with the stock internals as long as it's a well taken care of car overall and you don't neglect regular oil changes and maintnance.You will have a lot of fum with an LS motor running 10psi you will be over the 200whp mark for sure.Research more since it seems your pretty unsure about most things read everything you can on LS Turbo's there lot's on here for you.The search button is your best friend trust me anything you can think of has most likely been covered on here.
Old 01-26-2005, 07:57 AM
DaX
Honda-Tech Member

Synchromesh will help, but you still have to baby it. A fresh set of Synchros can be had for around $200. How many miles are on your stock clutch? It will eventually give unless you are running VERY low boost...it's just a matter of time.

Thanks for the compliment...hopefully I'll have the engine put back together this weekend.
Old 01-26-2005, 08:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I would recommend using a 3" turbo back exhaust if you wanna get the most power for your dollar. opening up the exhaust to a 3" will help greatly and you wont have to turn the boost up as much to get where you want.

If your looking for something simple and fairly inexpensive look at getting a super 60 T3. It comes internally gated which means you dont have to worry about buying an external WG which is easily $220+ and for a small setup it will work well. Also the super 60 T3 will have a pretty fast spool and on an LS is one of the better inexpensive turbos for someone not looking to push 300whp.

I would definitely upgrade your engine/fuel management. im not sure if your close to any of the new NepTune tuners but that would be a good option to look at for getting the car tuned properly. Picking up some 450ccDSM injectors or some 440cc RC's with a walboro 255lph HP in-tank fuel pump is a good idea aswell.

I would definitely change the clutch out, depending where you wanna stop with power u might wanna look at a clutchmasters stage 1 or 2, exedy, ACT street disc setup or ACtion 1MS i think its called. Anything of the stage 1 or 2 clutches should be fine for around 250whp id guess.

As for the rest of the stuff I would look at BMCrace for a log manifold which is $160 or if ur willing to spend a little more u could get an elf 2.0 for $350 i think it is. Also you can get your downpipe and dumptube from BMC or buy the flanges and have an exhaust shop weld it up for u with everything installed. For an intercooler look at the Johnnyracecar.com 6", very good price and quality. IC piping u can get from spoolinperformance or just buy a bunch of u-bends and make em urself or get an exhaust shop to make it.

GL building ur LS, im shooting for 300whp stock with mine and with some pistons, rods and a little valvetrain upgrade push for 400.
Old 01-28-2005, 07:37 AM

Is Uberdata/Hondata necessary? Meaning is it absolutley mandatory that I have one of them?
Old 01-28-2005, 07:47 AM
DaX
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (JayDeEM-ike)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JayDeEM-ike &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Is Uberdata/Hondata necessary? Meaning is it absolutley mandatory that I have one of them?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Define necessary. In my eyes, for a reliable and proper setup, you should have GOOD engine managment...be it AEM, Uberdata, Hondata, Motec, Haltech, Autronic, etc. You need something more than 'the hack' or an FMU, although people have proven to make power on setups like these. It all comes down to efficiency and reliability.