Notices

I hate my car - need input on this issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2005, 01:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I hate my car - need input on this issue

Ok, I bought a cheap no-name t3/t04e 57trim turbo from turbocalculator.com, it's a garrett replica I suppose. Anyway, it went out after 4 months of lots of fun, the shaft moves side to side while spinning and rubs on the housing, no boost whatsoever, I replaced it yesterday with a brand new Precision SC61. I ran into a bunch of problems with the bolts that I had used on the previous turbo, they were too long on the SC61, bottomed out, and would begin to cross thread, long story short I had to go get 2 bolts removed that had missing heads. This happened for the bolts to the manifold, and the bolts to the downpipe.

Anyway, past all that I am not seeing any boost, I haven't hooked up the laptop to see if any is getting to my MAP sensor but I don't feel it at all, just nothin. It really seems like there is a leak somewhere in the piping but I don't see one, and I don't see how because the piping hasnt moved since the old one went out and it was fine before it went out.

I put in a Greddy Type S BOV while the turbo was out and waiting on the new one, I haven't adjusted it at all, nor do I really know how, I came from a DSM 1g BOV, but there are 2 vacuum hookups on the Greddy Type S, I hooked it up to the lower one that is at an angle but I really dont have a clue what either of them is really for.

I have an exhaust leak at my wastegate, between the wastegate and the manifold, I have the drag manifold, I know this could be some of the cause but wouldn't I feel atleast a little bit of boost? I mean 1 cylinder leaking exhaust that isnt going to the turbo cant really do that can it?? The issue is the my dumptube is dumping into my downpipe and somehow the new turbo didnt see to fit the same way as the old, so the dump tube was about 1/2 an inch over the flange were the wastegate needed to be, with some maneuvering I got everything together but it caused the wastegate to sort of tilt, leaving a small small gap between it and the manifold, quite a bit of exhaust seems to be coming out of it at idle though.

What do you guys suggest I do, after all the trouble with this stupid turbo swap, it's caused me to think about selling the kit, and selling the car and buying something like an f-body that I won't feel like I have to modify and will look nice to get me by. I really don't know what to do and I'm at a loss, plus i'm extremely tired because I was up till 4am getting everything back together, and got a very minimal amount of sleep.

Help me out guys.
Old 03-26-2005, 03:12 PM
BCICAN

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: I hate my car - need input on this issue (sykotic)

Get some sleep first of all to make yourself feel better. Take a couple days break from everything, then try focusing on just one problem at a time. If you have lost your drive to work on the car, take it to a local shop and tell them to fix the little bugs.

If you can't then buy a gasket and put it between the wastegate and manifold (I know some will say no, but it will work).

As for boost, try looking to make sure all the charge pipes are connected well and that there are no blockages. Get a local guy to adjust your BOV, because I have never dealt with that one and couldn't tell you what to do.

But as for selling the car, I wouldn't. I have been close to that point....and I just got back from fixing a boost problem (it would only go to 10psi instead of 15). Well its now at 15psi, and I have a new found love for driving my car. You will love it once it is in working order man....just stick with it, get some sleep, and take one problem at a time.
Old 03-26-2005, 03:38 PM

Default Re: I hate my car - need input on this issue (Dunc)

I actually have 2 gaskets between manifold and wastegate because that was how I fixed a previous leak before on the old turbo, i'm gonna have to get a muffler shop to rebend my dump tube or somethin, if i try to take those wastegate bolts out, theres no way its gonna bolt back on because the holes dont line up. I'll check everything else out after a lil rest like you suggested, we'll so what happens, i'm sure its gonna be somethin small, just need to find it and try not to throw wrenchs or other heavy **** at my car in the mean time.
Old 03-26-2005, 03:49 PM
BCICAN

already have gaskets huh? You could try to resurface both the manifold flange and the wastegate flange so they are nice and flat again. It would take some work, but it would do the trick and seal it up pretty well.
Old 03-26-2005, 05:17 PM

heh, well boost is back, figured out one of the pipes got pulled apart when I was messing with everything gettin it taken apart to replace the turbo, figured it out before throwing any tools too! Well the exhaust leak is pretty bad, no ****** way am I gonna be able to fix it, i'll be taking the car to a muffler shop on monday to just get the dumptube cut off the downpipe, the hole in the downpipe patched, and run open dumptube from the wastegate, anyone running like this? does it sound just like this exhaust leak?
Old 03-26-2005, 05:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

no sell no sell!!!11! you wouldn`t dump you girlfriend if she got a bad cold would you?
Old 03-26-2005, 06:20 PM

Default Re: I hate my car - need input on this issue (ProjectDarkBlack)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ProjectDarkBlack &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">no sell no sell!!!11! you wouldn`t dump you girlfriend if she got a bad cold would you?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Heh, maybe if it was to get a hotter and more stacked girlfriend(f-body), lol.
Old 03-26-2005, 06:24 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sykotic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Heh, maybe if it was to get a hotter and more stacked girlfriend(f-body), lol.</TD></TR></TABLE>

tou che'
Old 03-26-2005, 10:35 PM
BCICAN

Default Re: I hate my car - need input on this issue (sporkcrx)

haha....perhaps you have had more rest now (your humor seems to have come back). I am running open dumptube...its has a distinct sound, but I don't think it is so loud that it's obnoxious. Plus the regular exhaust loudness kinda muffles the open dumptube.....I say do it.
Old 03-27-2005, 06:08 AM

heh, alright, i think it'll cost less and be much easier for the muffler shop to just cut and bend the dumptube anyway, thats what i'll plan on doing, thx for your help and motivation Dunc.
Old 03-27-2005, 07:44 AM

here's your answers. for the bov, the vaccume needs to be on the top nipple not the angled bottom one. and as for no boost. i think ur wg is mal functioning. maybe there's no spring inside? have a friend revv it up so the turbo's spinning n put ur hand over where it would be dumping. see if you get so much dump that its ridiclious. if so then 1, your wg is a piece of **** or 2. ur wg has no spring in it.even with a few exhaust leaks it would create some boost.
Old 03-27-2005, 07:57 PM

Default Re: (turboda6)

^ thx for the input but read a little higher, I got it fixed, I searched around and already figured out I had it on the wrong nipple but the problem was that some of my IC piping got completely disconnected. thx for the input though.
Old 03-27-2005, 08:24 PM

just woundering why u can't put gasket between the turbo manifold and the wastegate?