Notices

I give up! what turbo parts are appropriate for my build?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2005, 10:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I give up! what turbo parts are appropriate for my build?

The past 4 days Ive searched and read, read, and read more on HT, Rocket, Boosted-Hybrid, g2ic and few other smaller honda tuning related forums and I cant make my mind up on what I need. I've had people say one thing and then dynos to prove another, I just get thrown around in loop holes.

Here is my orginal post off of boosted-hybrid's website:
-------------------------Start-----------------------------------------------------
Hello all! Im trying to post on small boards instead of HT because well all know what my answers will be if I posted there. ::Cough::search::Cough::
(Ive searched and its hard to pin point exactly what I want to know)

Anyhow to the point I will go; Here is my build:
-b16
-polish/balanced crank
-civic type r crank pulley
-acl bearnings
-eagle rods w/arp fasteners
-cp 9:1 81.5mm pistons
-itr water pump
-itr oil pump
-Race Eng. Block Guard Stock Sleeves (No signs of over heating and my radiator fan doesnt work yet either lol!
-AEBS Head Studs
-port polish head
-supertech valves (dished top, black nitrate coding)
-supertech retainers
-supertech springs
-gsr cams
-skunk2 cam gears
-obd0-obd1 conversion harness
-p28 ecu
-uBerdata
-RevHard Intake manifold
-AEM Rail
(I think thats it)

Ive got 200 miles so far on the motor running it NA with the p28. Money really isnt an issue on the setup, however the right parts for the right application is what Im worried about.

The GT BB turbos seem to be preforming well so I figured Id start there since my tiny b16 is going to already see alot of lag. My power goal is 400whp on pump gas. Id like to see my power band be somewhere from 4k-8.5k maybe even 9k later on down the road. This would be a daily driver (not really but daily driver setup vs full track car; get it?) and see the track once a month or so as well.

A start would be for me to list what I think is a good setup:
-gt30 (which trims do i want for my tiny b16 for the goals that I want)
-Custom equal length manifold
-Turbo Smart Waste Gate or TiAL (what ?mm, why do you want that ?mm)
-Greddy RS BV
-2.5'' piping in 3'' out (intercooler)
-what size intercooler would efciently work with my build and hopefully not make me hack up my bumper (92 Integra; probably wouldnt hurt to check g2ic.com for that question)
-880's peak and hold
-3'' DP w/E-cutout
-(what is the specific model number for the Aeromotive FPR)
-Chipped p28 with uberdata
What did I forget?

Anyhow I think you get my point or a similar idea. Im not worried about the outcome sounding cool or looking cool (other then the hack job on the bumper for the intercooler). Im 100% function over fashion. What about Turbonetics products vs. TiAL and Turbosmart ect. I want to build this kit right the first time, not a second time, third time, or a fourth. hehe

Thanks for reading and understanding!
PLEASE DONT HESITATE TO SUGGEST ANYTHING HELPFULL OR USEFULL OR THINGS TO CONSIDER, EXCEPT FOR THE FACT THAT I SHOULD HAVE SLEEVED MY BLOCK

-Nick

-----------------------------End---------------------------------------------
Ive got a very reputable turbo shop in the northwest helping me out but they focus more on turbo charging bigger cars and I know we have experienced people out on this board that has this knowledge. I want to take a little bit of everyones opinions, the dynos/builds I find, take them to the shop and go from there. So everyones input counts!

Im not going to drag this post out any longer, I think you get the point. If your too lazy to type. Call me, I just dont want to do this a second time.

Again thanks for reading and thanks for understanding.

-Nick
Old 05-02-2005, 10:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: I give up! what turbo parts are appropriate for my build? (jDMJeRk)

I'd recommend a smaller IC piping size. I'd say a 2.0 or 2.25" at the IC inlet and also in the piping between the IC inlet and compressor outlet. And then from the IC outlet 2.25 or 2.5". You can then either get a transition hose from the IC pipe to the TB or weld on a transition pipe that goes from the IC diameter to match the TB diameter and just use a straight hose.
Old 05-02-2005, 10:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

sweet thanks for the suggestion, It will be approached.

Come on guys, people are viewing this, at least say something.

This isnt like a "I want to build this.." or "In t he future I'd like..." This is something I planned on buying a complete kit for Today (monday) but I still didnt have enough information on it.

Ive been told gt35 is way too huge for my needs, but a gt28 was too small, but I was also told gt28 would be good for 400whp easyly.
(something to feed off of)
Old 05-02-2005, 11:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (jDMJeRk)

buy the book titled: Maximum Boost
This will help you understand in great detail what it is you need and are doing. Amazon.com has it

Modified by Haleiwa-Brando at 12:54 AM 5/3/2005
Old 05-02-2005, 11:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: (Haleiwa-Brando)

I dont think he needs an education on how a turbo system works. He's probably looking for what brands are better for his goal. Maximum boost is good for general info, but I dont think it will give him the answers to his specific question.

jDMJeRk,

You should check out some of the archived threads. There were quite a few GT30R's on B16 threads when I did a search.

Just do a search for GT30R or GT35R in the FI archives. Just from the threads I read some people were making 400 HP in their built B16's with the GT30-R. You should check out those threads for yourself though. I dont know too much about the GT turbos so I cant help you with your choice.

EDIT: oh yah, you might wanna look into getting an Ostrich too if you dont already have it. Dont know what your Uberdata setup consists of. If you haven't gotten a BO2 setup yet and want to buy one dont get a Zeitronix. Get a PLX or Innovative WBO2 because it is easier to setup for UD.
Old 05-02-2005, 11:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Haleiwa-Brando)

id go with a gt35, 2.5" ic piping all the way around. 3" dp to the e-cut, then 2.5" from there. for ic pick a 3" core ic out that is quite a bit taller than the bumper in case later on you decide to cut the bumper, even if you never cut the bumper, the heat will disperse allowing less risk of heat soak. as far as engine management....y dont you use an aem ems since you went obd1? you could run a deck with a tv in it and a car pc for tuning.....
damn, its 3:34am if this makes no sense im sorry.
Old 05-02-2005, 11:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (BlueShadow)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Haleiwa-Brando &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">but the book titled: Maximum Boost
This will help you understand in great detail what it is you need and are doing. Amazon.com has it </TD></TR></TABLE>
I have the book... or access to it. I understand how turbos work.
I want to make sure what parts work best with what parts is what it comes down too.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BlueShadow &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I dont think he needs an education on how a turbo system works. He's probably looking for what brands are better for his goal. Maximum boost is good for general info, but I dont think it will give him the answers to his specific question.

jDMJeRk,

You should check out some of the archived threads. There were quite a few GT30R's on B16 threads when I did a search.

Just do a search for GT30R or GT35R in the FI archives. Just from the threads I read some people were making 400 HP in their built B16's with the GT30-R. You should check out those threads for yourself though. I dont know too much about the GT turbos so I cant help you with your choice.

EDIT: oh yah, you might wanna look into getting an Ostrich too if you dont already have it. Dont know what your Uberdata setup consists of. If you haven't gotten a BO2 setup yet and want to buy one dont get a Zeitronix. Get a PLX or Innovative WBO2 because it is easier to setup for UD.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks for the search tips. I have a hard time searching for items... but I found some stuff with those key words.

-Nick
Old 05-03-2005, 03:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yea the 30r and 35r sound nice for your goal.. also a helpful hint is that exhaust housing size effects spool time and also how high the turbo can breathe.. so if you run a giant turbo get a smaller exhaust housing for faster spool but it wont make as much power up top as it would with the larger housing.. you shouldn't go any bigger then an .85 housing if your running a BB turbo.. they spool fast but not that fast lol.. personally i would run the .63 housing side on the 35r, but they may be hard to come by in that size.. this will give you a good balance.. if you run the 30r get a little bigger housing b/c it will spool about 1k faster then the 35r, but it moves less air/sec then the 35r so the bigger housing will help it breath harder up top on less boost.

dont run a CTR crank pulley they are ******* trash.. if your going to invest all that money in you car run a Fluidampner pulley it'll run you about 300-400 bucks and save your oil pump from absorbing very small vibrations that cause wear on the pump gear from soild crank pulleys.. eventually shattering it and siezure occurs over time.. ask anyone that runs in SFWD they will tell you fluidampers save motors..

good luck

Old 05-03-2005, 10:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks

is the turbo really the only product I really need to consider for my build? I thought maybe the proper waste gate and bv would also be important..

Im hearing more and more about not using the CTR pulley...
Old 05-03-2005, 11:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

turbo is a big part of the build, its whats making all the power you want. everything else just plays a smaller role around it. proper wastegate is obviously important just like BOV etc but the turbo is what you should focus on, its the deciding factor on fuel setup, wastegate size, ic piping as well as intercooler size.

ctr pulley=****
Old 05-03-2005, 02:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Out of all the boards I posted on, everyone hates the ctr pulley lol. I guess i gotta ditch it then. I thought mine was ok because when i had all my machine work done, i had it balanced with the rotating assembly. Oh well.

Bump!