Notices

hows my turbo? video.

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2010, 09:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hows my turbo? video.

very new to turbo and ive been reading alot about it for quite awhile now.

i purchased a turbo kit from someone last year but never got around to installing it because i was still piecing all my misc items. im ready to install my kit but.. i need new dp and dt cause the ones that came with my kit wasnt compatible with my space under the hood.

i went to a shop close by in my area, SpoolingPerfomance, to get a down pipe made and fix my manifold.

he inspected my turbo and manifold. sadly he said its an ebay manifold and the dude i got it from said it was a full race. but that didnt bother me. he looked at my turbo and said that who ever had this turbo before is a possible dumb ***.

why? the oil ports are on the wrong area. the return was on top and the feed was on bottom. feed is through pressure and return is gravity. so no way this turbo would have worked on the dudes car.

he said that the seals would have been blown, cause he saw minimal oil through the exhaust side and that something, i dont remember, would be scarred.

Garrett t3/t4 60 trim compressor and 83 exhaust.

the turbo has 900 miles as the dude said and minimal shaft play. heres a video as i dont know what else to say.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4w6OW3Rb2g

but thanks to phil he gave me a good price on a whole new turbo kit. cant wait to get it.
Old 02-19-2010, 12:17 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts
Default Re: hows my turbo? video.

A little bit is ok. (It doesn't seem to be bad at all) I don't see any contact between the turbine wheel and housing (which is good).

What Phil is concerned with is whether or not the turbine shaft was "blued" and scarred due to the dumbass putting in the oil feed and return backwards.

This is a turbine wheel/shaft that has suffered from oil starvation. This is what Phil is concerned with.

The "bluing" of the shaft is where the turbine shaft show signs of discoloration from the lack of oil on the bearing surfaces that results from the heat produced by the metal to metal contact that occurred.

In the end, what does this mean? You have two choices:

1) run the lines correctly, keep going, and hope that the heat on the shaft didn't warp it to a point where you experience oil blowby and further destruction

2) have a professional inspect the entire turbocharger to tell you if the turbine shaft is destroyed.

3) take it apart yourself, but realize that you may have ruined it in the process of your examination if you don't know what you're doing, regardless of mechanical inclination.

I suggest 1 & 2 before 3.
Old 02-19-2010, 08:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

there is no way that i can peek in to see the shaft for discoloration?

from the video what can you tell me about the turbo?

im looking down into the return hole and i can see the shaft. it does not look anything like the image above. looks fresh. ill try to take a pix..
Old 02-19-2010, 09:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Since the CHRA was flipped the other way, it seems like the previous owner had a top mount turbo manifold. As stated above, a little shaft play is OK. Follow TheShodan's instructions.
Old 02-19-2010, 09:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

why didnt i think of that..a fuking topmount..makes sense..

when i get my manifold and down pipes ill run this turbo before my new one. so what should i look for to tell weather its bad or good?

smokes/leaks/not performing as suppose to etc.
Old 02-19-2010, 09:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by My_EFsedan
smokes/leaks/not performing as suppose to etc.
Yes.
Old 02-19-2010, 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by Turbo1.6
Yes.

if the guy had a topmount sure. but judging by the home depot fittings used on the inlet and how the CHRA cast oil return is cracked and mig welded. grinded. The wastgate runner on the ebay ramhorn was cracked off and mig welded back on without gas coverage, thus tons of goobers and craters in the weld. I have pretty darn good reason to assume joe schmo had no idea what they were doing. none the less, afford a topmount to install the turbo on.